Motor movers

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tinkering around the caravan this week, for the first time in 9 years I greased the the motor mover sliding parts with Motorcycle chain grease. And it has made my Power touch so much easier to operate. I forgot the annual servicing does not include any greasing of the unit it is so easy just pull off the grey cover. And grease the sliding areas.

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
That's good to know.
I'm a novice and I'm surprised it is not covered as part of the annual service.
Is that 'normal' practice?
Is there a national standard and checklist for a good practice Annual Service?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's good to know.
Yes the Approved Workshop Scheme use a very detailed list of service actions. You can then order additional tasks. Things like servicing the gas heater/fridge etc would be an extra. Look for an AWS workshop or technician. A quick search on the internet will show those in your area.

Reactions: Kingsley
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's good to know.
Because a motor mover is customer choice and not standard in most caravans, its not part of a "standard" AWS service schedule. You should also be aware that the service does not cover any of the other appliances in the caravan beyond being part of gas tightness check, and if your lucky a function check. Basically always check with your service agent what is covered, and if you want anything extra you will have to order it.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Because a motor mover is customer choice and not standard in most caravans, its not part of a "standard" AWS service schedule. You should also be aware that the service does not cover any of the other appliances in the caravan beyond being part of gas tightness check, and if your lucky a function check. Basically always check with your service agent what is covered, and if you want anything extra you will have to order it.
We know that how the AWS works but it's not very satisfactory that the "gold standard" of an AWS service excludes optional equipment.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Power touch motor mover website shows where to lubricate, and really it is the same on all motor movers The Motorcycle chain grease is a very light one almost an oil.
I didn't know there was a Gold standard. ?

Reactions: Kickemjenny
Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
We know that how the AWS works but it's not very satisfactory that the "gold standard" of an AWS service excludes optional equipment.
I agree.
Looking at the Tourer Annual Service Check Sheet, I see that under the Electrical System section, last item, it covers 'Aftermarket Items', but only electrically. It would be good if it also covered the mechanical side of servicing 'Aftermarket Items', like the motor movers, ATC and autolevelling systems. I guess they would say there is the option of adding them on later on in the Check Sheet. Personally I would prefer a fully comprehensive Checklist where you could delete items that are not fitted or not wanted to be serviced, rather than trying to remember what items to add.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally I would prefer a fully comprehensive Checklist where you could delete items that are not fitted or not wanted to be serviced, rather than trying to remember what items to add.
When you consider all the possible aftermarket products that would need to be listed on the job sheet, it would be unmanageably big and continually need to updated as new aftermarket products are added.

It is far more practical for the customer to add the additional items they want serviced, rather than deselecting everything you don't want.

I suggest you keep a maintenance log book in which you add every item you want servicing, and you refer to it and discuss it with your service provider when you contract the service.

Reactions: Kickemjenny
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree.
Looking at the Tourer Annual Service Check Sheet, I see that under the Electrical System section, last item, it covers 'Aftermarket Items', but only electrically. It would be good if it also covered the mechanical side of servicing 'Aftermarket Items', like the motor movers, ATC and autolevelling systems. I guess they would say there is the option of adding them on later on in the Check Sheet. Personally I would prefer a fully comprehensive Checklist where you could delete items that are not fitted or not wanted to be serviced, rather than trying to remember what items to add.
It’s not much different to a car where there are fitted items that aren’t automatically included in the standard servicing list. IE Haldex fluids and filter, pollen filter, brake fluid change, coolant change., diff and gearbox oil change These are all things that I have had to request on recent and current cars. It keeps the “ headline” running costs low which pleases Fleet Managers. But those that keep cars beyond the first three years may have to request these items to be included.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The only things actually serviced on a caravan is the running gear. Everything else is only a check. Even the damp test is a check.

If you want the gas, water or electrics systems serviced those are extra at an additional cost.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even on a new van to keep some items in warranty the owner has to request specifically for them to be serviced, otherwise their equipment warranty lapses.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When you consider all the possible aftermarket products that would need to be listed on the job sheet, it would be unmanageably big and continually need to updated as new aftermarket products are added.

It is far more practical for the customer to add the additional items they want serviced, rather than deselecting everything you don't want.

I suggest you keep a maintenance log book in which you add every item you want servicing, and you refer to it and discuss it with your service provider when you contract the service.
Why? Car workshops cope with varying specifications, with simple adjustments to the price. This is another area where the caravan industry operates like a third-world business.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why? Car workshops cope with varying specifications, with simple adjustments to the price. This is another area where the caravan industry operates like a third-world business.
The point I was making is that caravan (and the same applies to car workshops) service sheets do not include every aftermarket product customers have fitted to their cars or caravans. To do so would be unmanageable. Dealing with different standard specifications does of course need some options, and for example TA vs SA vans would have some additional parts and labour costs for a service, but second axles are not an aftermarket option.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket fitted into our caravan and the dealer checked them? Strangely they also did a CO2 test and charged me £3.50 for the privilege?

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think the number fitted now is so high that it should be added as a service item, on looking round one site it was well over 50%. The current service schedule will include things not fitted to every caravan and the addition for this is minor but the work might just save you a serious problem. .

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Most have a motor mover, and a spare wheel may be standard on many but not serviced. All have a toilet, and it requires a service (I don't mean emptying and recharging it, which is the user's job) That will be the Safety Elf then.
Corner steadies are rarely serviced properly, but simply get a squirt of lithium grease or clear silicon spray over the top of the crud.
Many no longer have a full damp test, but there was no reduction in price from the original 50-minute job.
I could go on, but it won't change anything

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never heard of the toilet being serviced? Regarding spare wheel, mine has never been pressure checked although they do check the pressures in the 4 tyres on the caravan.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Never heard of the toilet being serviced? Regarding spare wheel, mine has never been pressure checked although they do check the pressures in the 4 tyres on the caravan.
Toilets require servicing - Thetford just cleaning but Dometic a bit more - perhaps my point about toilet is a bit pedantic. Spare wheel carrier does need servicing and spare tyre pressure does need check/inflate. If your spare wheel is not accessible because it's rusted solid, how can a flat tyre be dealt with? The NCC annual service is not very good at all, and is just padded out with silly things like checking battery voltage when it's connected to a solar panel - and what does that achieve? Stripping hubs off axles annually when it's not even recommended by AlKo.

Reactions: Buckman and RogerL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know.
When we had our last caravan we had a motor mover first one in thirty years + and the caravan engineer did our annual service he use to check it and i said if need anything just do it . and he showed me what he done and i just paid extra .

TRENDING THREADS