Motorhome driver slams parking provision in Worces

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
No excuse for cars parking in spaces for oversized vehicles but he should make an official complaint and have them fined.

I wonder, though, where he suggests the council make extra provision for motorhomes to park, given that parking in the city centre is already at a premium and difficult for everyone.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
gjh said:
No excuse for cars parking in spaces for oversized vehicles but he should make an official complaint and have them fined.

I wonder, though, where he suggests the council make extra provision for motorhomes to park, given that parking in the city centre is already at a premium and difficult for everyone.
You Again ! If a Motorhome driver wants to park his vehicle in a Car Park, he should be allowed to do so,provided he pays for the spaces taken. NO differance between a Motorhome and a Car, BOTH are registered as PRIVATE vehicles, 'private light goods, bodied as a motorcaravan, or 'private heavy goods vehicle,bodied as a motorcaravan. We don't want to be treated differantly to car drivers, we want to be treated THE SAME, ie we park where they park, and pay for the space taken. Anything else is Discrimination of vehicle type. All height barriers should be illegal. Any Travellers taking up residence overnight should be removed immediately.
And GJH, I thought you were supposed to be a 'Champion' of Motorhomers ? you appear to be anything but that !

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
rayjsj said:
You Again ! If a Motorhome driver wants to park his vehicle in a Car Park, he should be allowed to do so,provided he pays for the spaces taken. NO differance between a Motorhome and a Car, BOTH are registered as PRIVATE vehicles, 'private light goods, bodied as a motorcaravan, or 'private heavy goods vehicle,bodied as a motorcaravan. We don't want to be treated differantly to car drivers, we want to be treated THE SAME, ie we park where they park, and pay for the space taken. Anything else is Discrimination of vehicle type. All height barriers should be illegal. Any Travellers taking up residence overnight should be removed immediately.
And GJH, I thought you were supposed to be a 'Champion' of Motorhomers ? you appear to be anything but that !
I don't know how well you know Worcester but, as I said in my previous post, parking in the city centre is already at a premium and difficult for everyone. There simply isn't room for more spaces for larger vehicles in the city. There is, of course, the alternative of using the P&R site at Sixways.

As to comparison of motorhomes and cars, the obvious differences are that the former are (in the main) much larger and heavier. Many UK car parks are designed for vehicles of no more than 2 tonnes in weight and are not designed for large vehicles to manoeuvre in safely, to say nothing of multi-storey car parks which have obvious height restrictions. It is pointless demanding to be allowed to park in such locations because it simply doesn't make economic sense to car park owners to spend the sums necessary to make changes.

We, as motorhome owners, have deliberately made ourselves different by buying much larger and heavier vehicles so that surely negates grounds to demand to be treated the same doesn't it?

I don't recall ever claiming to be "a 'Champion' of Motorhomers" :) All I have tried to do is publicise where daytime parking is possible for motorhomes and encourage councils and other organisations to increase their provision. In doing that, I don't take sides because I am able to appreciate that car park owners face a number of competing pressures from owners of different types of vehicle and have to try to balance those pressures according to perceived demand. Contacting car park owners constructively and demonstrating the benefits which can accrue from making more provision for daytime motorhome parking can (and has) change that perception. Perhaps if more people would make similar approaches then even more progress would be made :)

Graham

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ray, I'm glad Graham has given you such a prompt and gracious reply. He made a point (several months ago!), that motorhomers need to act reasonably and legally, if we want authorities to listen to us.
I don't know what history you and he have elsewhere, but I don't like seeing personal attacks on here (such as your opening and closing lines).
Disagree by all means with what someone says (me included!) but I'd rather see it done with some courtesy please.
As an experienced motorhomer, I look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS