Motorhome driving on wrong side of A9 Scotland

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Incredible nobody was hurt. Sorry though, I cant put that down to a mistake, thats dangerous driving, pure and simple. I would throw the book at him.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sheer incompetence. How the heck can you not realise you are on the wrong carriageway.
Agreed we all make mistakes but usually pay for it eg parking fine. Deserves a fine and three points or even a re test :evil:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Can honestly say, in 30 years of driving artics all over Europe, I only ever did one wrong side mistake, in Newcastle. Having been over the water for almost three months, I came back in via Hull, drove to Newcastle and got my head down for the night. On waking late, I set off to try to get tipped and finally home, and took a small roundabout the wrong way. :blush:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same , once when we hired a jeep in Ibiza over 2o years ago and were driving on the correct side over there and when i come back home I got my car out the garage & set off straight onto the wrong side of the road for split few seconds but to be doing it for that long in something so big on a 70 mile an hour plus Road you should be banned straight away for due care and attention ! :blink:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can understand a genuine mistake of missing a road sign, after all at some junctions there are so many of them, their can be an overload of information presented to you, especially if your not familiar with the area, so taking a wrong turn is easily done. I'm not condoning it or suggesting it's ok but it happens. What I can't understand is the driver is compounding the mistake by continuing to drive on the road in the wrong direction.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I'm the same , once when we hired a jeep in Ibiza over 2o years ago and were driving on the correct side over there and when i come back home I got my car out the garage & set off straight onto the wrong side of the road for split few seconds but to be doing it for that long in something so big on a 70 mile an hour plus Road you should be banned straight away for due care and attention ! :blink:

Similar story - I Visited Florida a few years ago and we hired a car from the airport. I Started driving as I normally would then realised I was driving round the car park on the wrong side of the road!

After a few days of trouble free driving (Except for sheltering from a Hurricane) we were leaving Downtown Disney one night (Now called Disney Springs) which turned you out onto a 2-3 lane carriage way with a centre reservation. It was a local road so there were traffic lights and intersections everywhere.

I am turning right and so is the car in front, they must have been Brits too, as they drove past the centre reservation and onto the other side of the carriageway as you would in the UK... I immediately crap myself thinking I have just turned onto the wrong side of the road. The other driver must have realised their mistake - thankfully no other cars on that side of the road - and due to the intersection and favourable traffic lights they could drive down the short section the wrong way and merge back into my side.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Before seeing the clip I had assumed this was a foreign driver as it easy to make that mistake but the number plate looks British.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Before seeing the clip I had assumed this was a foreign driver as it easy to make that mistake but the number plate looks British.
Maybe a foreign driver in a Scottish hire car Ray :whistle:

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
After 6year of living 'over there' until 10 years ago and now one of two days a month for work I am quite used to it, but can never quite relax, there are times now in both the UK and NL when 'which side should I be on'?' makes me pause. Auto pilot kicks in when you relax and there's no other traffic about . Driving LHD over there makes it easier as does having an alert co driver.

I do have some sympathy for those who get it wrong, it's easy to do but the results can be catastrophic.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
levyward said:
Scary. Driving on the different side of the road can be confusing.....
What I find even more confusing is why a new joiner would reply to a post which is over 4 months old, and why their first post to the forum would be a response to a post that appeared five and a half years ago.
Usually an advance warning of a spammer in the making, testing our state of alert, all ready for the inevitable and immediate deletion of all material and lifetime ban courtesy of Damian or myself , but I could be wrong.........
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The new post must be from someone who drives on the right hand side, as when I last visited Oz they drove on the same side as UK.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Parksy said:
levyward said:
What I find even more confusing is why a new joiner would reply to a post which is over 4 months old, and why their first post to the forum would be a response to a post that appeared five and a half years ago.
Usually an advance warning of a spammer in the making, testing our state of alert, all ready for the inevitable and immediate deletion of all material and lifetime ban courtesy of Damian or myself , but I could be wrong.........

Well, they have also replied to an old thread you started about your Tuna and Cheddar Bake.........

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Parksy said:
levyward said:

Well, they have also replied to an old thread you started about your Tuna and Cheddar Bake.........

Ha ha , so have I at 3 this afternoon :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Yes that's the one that I referred to which is five and a half years old.
I should imagine that the tuna would be a bit off by now
:sick:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
Niall_McIntosh said:
Yes that's the one that I referred to which is five and a half years old.
I should imagine that the tuna would be a bit off by now
:sick:

Yes sound a bit "Fishy " to me. :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It does happen all over Britain from time to time and I have seen it once. We were on the old A74 at night and saw headlights coming the other way but assumed they were on the other carriageway. I was wrong and they passed us in the outside lane without problem, but not sure how far they got.
I have no idea how people do it in most cases as the markings and signs are clear enough.
Never had one to investigate so I have no other experience of the problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It does happen all over Britain from time to time and I have seen it once. We were on the old A74 at night and saw headlights coming the other way but assumed they were on the other carriageway. I was wrong and they passed us in the outside lane without problem, but not sure how far they got.
I have no idea how people do it in most cases as the markings and signs are clear enough.
Never had one to investigate so I have no other experience of the problem.

Must be some old threads have popped up again :imp:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have spent most of my driving life on right hand side, and when coming back to the Uk, for couple of days after when coming to turning right from a one way road i have to concentrate which side of the road to be on if no other traffic is around.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There are quite often reports on the news of people entering a motorway in the wrong direction and attempting to proceed like that to the next exit. Either they are elderly drivers that have lost their sense of orientation or younger drivers on a suicide run without regard for other road users.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts