MotorHomer hit with LEZ fine.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I spotted this mentioned today about a MotorHomer being hit with a Massive fine for not realising Abbey Wood CaMHC site was inside the Low Emission Zone Area in London.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A nice gesture by TFL to reduce the fee, but I can only wonder what planet the chap has been living on prior to visiting London. It's very easy to check the status of your vehicle wrt the London zones.

I did it when I had SWB Pajero and it was shown as motorhome in its V5. So once I had DVSA change its description I could take it into London if required, but I never did. Land Rover Defenders had the same problem. If they were built with no windows they could be excluded. But having windows made them an estate car as per my Pajero.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I spotted this mentioned today about a MotorHomer being hit with a Massive fine for not realising Abbey Wood CaMHC site was inside the Low Emission Zone Area in London.

Actually that report does not say that Abbey Wood is inside the zone, (though it may well be for all I know). It says he drove through the zone to get there.

For me it it typical reporting which attempts so sensationalise without answering pertinant questions. eg. That he could have stayed at the Shard, the family have not had a forien holiday, and the family's fuel bills have gone up. But not details of the journeys they made from Abbey Wood. But it does say the went to Covent Garden, so it would be expected to be fined.

About 10 years ago we went to a CL just outside the North Circular, but it was necessary to drive along the North Circular for about 2 miles. It took much searching in order to find out if we could drive the route legally. It may have improved since, but it was far from easy. Particularly if you are traveling from outside. So, personally I have little sympathy for the Motor Homer.

But it should act as a warning to others.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I suppose it is like a lot of other things, understand your vehicle, your speed limits and your congestion charges, not just in London.
I believe the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol is within Bristol's congestion zone.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would want to camp in the middle of a city? 😂 😂 😂
We used to take the caravan to CMHC Crystal Palace. It was a nice green area, with good bus links to central London. Would go for days out and concerts in Hyde Park. The night buses ran throughout and that’s how we would arrive back at the site.

Baltic Wharf in Bristol was another site well placed fir visiting Bristol and surrounding areas.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We used to take the caravan to CMHC Crystal Palace. It was a nice green area, with good bus links to central London. Would go for days out and concerts in Hyde Park. The night buses ran throughout and that’s how we would arrive back at the site.

Baltic Wharf in Bristol was another site well placed fir visiting Bristol and surrounding areas.
Abbey Wood looks well situated for travelling into London for sightseeing. Rail Tube and water taxies very close by.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would want to camp in the middle of a city? 😂 😂 😂

We stayed at Abbey Wood in 2019 as we (well, our daughter) wanted to do the London sights. We were there for four nights and it was an ideal base. The station is a 10 minute walk away and the train takes 25 minutes to get into London. The site actually has a very rural feel to it! Personally I wouldn't bother again as I'm just not a fan of London but it's ideal for those that do want to visit.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the site is outside the Zone, or at least it was, but the route the club advise takes you through it. You could avoid it by using Knee Hill against the clubs suggestions although this may have changed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the site is outside the Zone, or at least it was, but the route the club advise takes you through it. You could avoid it by using Knee Hill against the clubs suggestions although this may have changed.
The Abbey wood site is outside of the ULEZ zone but inside the LEZ.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts