Motorway Service Areas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trying to park on these areas is getting to be a problem. Yesterday(4th. July) on returning from France and travelling up the M1 we were unable to park on one area as part of the lorry park had been coned off and reserved for coaches, and we were directed to the car parking area and to utilise 2 bays! Impossible. At the Newport Pagnell services we were directed to the lorry parking area again because certain areas had been reserved for coaches. Apparently their passengers "spend more money". Oh for the aires of France , much more civilised.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
yes , the services here are a disgrace for caravanners. we too just returned from France yesterday , what a difference from there superb caravan friendly "aires"

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I stopped overnight in a UK service station after coming back from France, where the aire are free, and have sensible caravan parking, meaning you get some peace and quiet when you stop.

Stopped at the first services out of Dover on the way back (it was rather late!) and found I had to pay for parking!

It is a different world, the French Aire's are superior to our service stations in every way, the biggest thing you notice about ours now is the big American fast food chain sign on the way in.

Is it just me that thinks we have the smelly end of the stick?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just a word of warning for all who are planning to travel through Germany. Lorry bays at service areas there may only be used by commercial vehicles and not by cars towing caravans. Unfortunately, many service areas don't have any bays specifically marked for caravans so the poor caravanner is left out in the cold. So long as not all lorry bays are occupied, using them is usually tolerated but when they're full, lorry drivers get very upset about caravans using their parking space and are likely to cause trouble if you don't move on.

Just a word of warning for all who are planning to travel through Germany. Lorry bays at service areas there may only be used by commercial vehicles and not by cars towing caravans. Unfortunately, many service areas don't have any bays specifically marked for caravans so the poor caravanner is left out in the cold. So long as not all lorry bays are occupied, using them is usually tolerated but when they're full, lorry drivers get very upset about caravans using their parking space and are likely to cause trouble if you don't move on.
Tis. A pity that the same rules don't apply here then. During the working day I drive Approx 700 Miles a week using a company Car My journeys regularly take me on Motorways with the inevitable comfort stops at service areas. At almost every area visited there is either no dedicated area for caravans or if there is, it's full of wall to wall Hgv's. Because of this When towing I avoid Motorway services prefering to use knowledge gained on a daily basis to leave the Motorway and use adjacent facilities. About 2 years ago driving north on the M5 in the early hours I was forced to use the services at Gordano to refuel. Not only was there no where to park the signs directed "Cars Caravans" to a very tight parking area which I was lucky to negotiate a path through, then following the exit signs I returned directly back onto the motorway completely missing the fuel area! Presumably Caravanners don't feature very highly in The eyes of motorway service operators. Eddie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We don't use them except for 'toilet stops'.

That's all they deserve.

They are wickedly overpriced,and the food is disgusting. The staff try their best, but, let's face it, would you work your arse off for the basic minimum wage? The amount they charge customers they should pay them better.

I hate the arrogance that they show towards caravanners, and how we caravanners are 'as a group' treated as second class travellers.

That's why we no longer spend a penny there, except for the effluent kind of course!!

The French 'Aires' knock the socks off them, and are a pleasure to stop in.Nice grassy areas. Clean tables and chairs, clean toilets, and lots of safe space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts