Motorway services

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi, we are travelling from Leeds to Dover, towing a caravan, this next Saturday. Due to a medical problem we will have to make frequent stops, probably every couple of hours, to take a break. Can anyone suggest the best services to pull in to, for easy parking and, more importantly, the ones to avoid? Either the M1 or A1 route.
Thanks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we are travelling from Leeds to Dover, towing a caravan, this next Saturday. Due to a medical problem we will have to make frequent stops, probably every couple of hours, to take a break. Can anyone suggest the best services to pull in to, for easy parking and, more importantly, the ones to avoid? Either the M1 or A1 route.
Thanks.
Google Earth is your friend, the satellite images allow you to see what formation the parking spaces are - most services which have specific caravan or trailer spaces are usually full, often with non-towing vehicles - some services have drive-through spaces for HGVs which are fine but some have to be reversed into.

Whilst I don't want to make light of a medical condition, stopping every couple of hours for a "comfort" break is normal for many of us!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Google Earth is your friend, the satellite images allow you to see what formation the parking spaces are - most services which have specific caravan or trailer spaces are usually full, often with non-towing vehicles - some services have drive-through spaces for HGVs which are fine but some have to be reversed into.

Whilst I don't want to make light of a medical condition, stopping every couple of hours for a "comfort" break is normal for many of us!
After having a DVT in 2017 I now tend to stop every two hours for a 10 minute walk around. Don’t want a second one as not just for the medical issues , if you have more than one travel insurance prices rocket up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that Operation Brock may be in place around Dover so there may be delays and you may not be able to get to a service station in time. If stopped for awhile consider using the caravan or buy one of those urinal bottles?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies, we don't need the breaks for "comfort" they are to have a walk around, similar to otherclive.
I think most of us assumed the other medical issue. We also need to stop as wife suffers from vasculitis which is aggravated if she sits still for a long time.

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I also found that the "Xtra" brand of services have a maximum parking time of 3 hours before payment is required, rather than the usual 2 hours at most service areas .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I also found that the "Xtra" brand of services have a maximum parking time of 3 hours before payment is required, rather than the usual 2 hours at most service areas .
Motorway services are required to give a minimum of 2 hours free parking - some non-motorway services are more like a retail park so allowing more time allows visitors to spend more money!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Motorway services are required to give a minimum of 2 hours free parking - some non-motorway services are more like a retail park so allowing more time allows visitors to spend more money!
With most motorway services having a substantial number of retail outlets there's not much difference between the two categories. As the famous French emperor said “ British are a nation of shopkeepers”

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We would stop for a nearly two hours give the dogs some exercise and a rest and toilets and then we continue with our journey

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can now park in the disabled and park up to three hours with my badge
How do the ANPR cameras at entrance and exit know that you are carrying a Blue Badge, as your car may be being driven by a relative for example and you are not in the car so the Blue Badge cannot be used when parked up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
NOT at Motorway Service Areas with a 2 hour limit - at least I'm not aware of any change in the rules. The Blue Badge 3 hour limit only applies to on-road parking in England & Wales, there's no time limit in Scotland and I'm not familiar with NI rules.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How do the ANPR cameras at entrance and exit know that you are carrying a Blue Badge, as your car may be being driven by a relative for example and you are not in the car so the Blue Badge cannot be used when parked up.
Maybe when the fine letter arrives he sends them a copy of his blue badge?
Two hours at a motorway services doesn’t float my boat😜

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
That's OK if you're not towing, but our experience has been that caravan parking is about as far away from the service buildings as you can get, and I've never seen a blue badge car and caravan bay.

At Oxford services I usually park in the coach park (if I'm towing), never been shouted at yet and it's ideally placed for Mrs G to have quick access to the toilets and other facilities. Don't try this at Chievely (M4/A34 junction) - I hadn't even turned off the ignition before a bloke in a hi-viz was moving us on, and the caravan parking is so far from the service building it's virtually inaccessible for a blue badge user.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's OK if you're not towing, but our experience has been that caravan parking is about as far away from the service buildings as you can get, and I've never seen a blue badge car and caravan bay.

At Oxford services I usually park in the coach park (if I'm towing), never been shouted at yet and it's ideally placed for Mrs G to have quick access to the toilets and other facilities. Don't try this at Chievely (M4/A34 junction) - I hadn't even turned off the ignition before a bloke in a hi-viz was moving us on, and the caravan parking is so far from the service building it's virtually inaccessible for a blue badge user.
i have use the the caravan parking and like you it is far away but since July last year my towing days are over after forty two years so now i can park in a disabled bay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts