Motorway stops on way to Devon.

WAK

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are travelling down to Devon in August from Lincolnshire, we have 3 kids and expecting long 6 hr trip with a few stops. We will be leaving at midnight to hopefully miss the bulk of traffic, has anyone done this route before at this time of night and what motorway stops did you use and where, and were they ok for caravans and safe to park up for a break.We will be using M180,M18,M1,A42,M42,M5.

Thanks Wak.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
During the summer holidays I have found travelling at night the best time to travel. When or son was small we used to leave south Manchester at 3.00 am and aim to get past the M4/M5 junction before the London traffic. It was great watching the sun rise as we travelled south.

If you are going to leave your unit on motorway services for a break it doesn't matter where you stop always make sure you secure it properly, preferably with a wheel clamp on your caravan. The more locks the better.

Have a good journey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Wak, look out for Junc 17 M5 Bristol. Turn off motorway into huge retail park. Massive Asda and (I think) Morrisons. Enormous car parks with tons of room for the outfit, supermarket cafe and cheaper fuel. We always stop there both outward and back. But like all these places, if you are all leaving the 'van, put your wheelclamp on.

Have a safe journey,

Barney.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wak I travel to Leeds along a similar route very often. There are plenty of service stations along the way which can take caravans no problem. But I find these expensive for both food and fuel. What I always do is plan my route and go on the Tesco web site to look at their store locator. From that you can see where they are near to your route, what kind of Tescos it is and if they have fuel etc. Your only proble is leaving late in the night, I know most of the Tescos have card facillities at their fuel stations but the Cafes won't be open until 8am. Its the same with all the ones we've been in. I would think you'd even be around Bristol before the Asda one opens so you might have to look a bit further.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wak, We are doing a similar journey from Nth Yorks to Devon this weekend. Have you considered breaking the journey ? Overnight stops in Motorway service areas can be a hit & miss affair, but our kids used to find them quite exciting. Strensham services on M5 is our favoured stopover, as you are far enough off the motorway not to be kept awake by passing traffic, plus there is a car park that vans can use - but trucks can't ! If you travel in August I guarantee you will not be the only van " overnighting " so you get a safety in numbers feeling. A 6 hour straight drive thru the night means you all arrive tired and irritable - and thats before you've erected the awning ! My advice would be set off friday evening & make the overnight stop part of the holiday.

Les.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wak, We are doing a similar journey from Nth Yorks to Devon this weekend. Have you considered breaking the journey ? Overnight stops in Motorway service areas can be a hit & miss affair, but our kids used to find them quite exciting. Strensham services on M5 is our favoured stopover, as you are far enough off the motorway not to be kept awake by passing traffic, plus there is a car park that vans can use - but trucks can't ! If you travel in August I guarantee you will not be the only van " overnighting " so you get a safety in numbers feeling. A 6 hour straight drive thru the night means you all arrive tired and irritable - and thats before you've erected the awning ! My advice would be set off friday evening & make the overnight stop part of the holiday.

Les.
Hiya Les, we do the southwest from Wakefield, and usually have a night at the CC Burnham on Sea site, it's not far from the motorway, plus there is a supermarket on the route in/out. The site is excellent, and we sometimes extend our stay, as the area has plenty to offer.

Barney.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Les.
Hello Les. We are thinking of stopping over at Strensham en route to Devon. Is the car park you refer to for caravans only, and is it clearly sign posted, and what is the cost of an overnight stay. I have bad memories of once finding myself in a motorway services car park not suitable for caravans. This was due to poor signage and was a total nightmare. I am not in a hurry to repeat the experience.

Cheers

Jimbo

TRENDING THREADS