Motorway thieves at it again

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
When I started out on my holiday little did I realise that I would nearly become one of the crime statistics of this ruddy thieving country .
Travelling down to Cornwall two weeks ago , I had to spend an over night on Taunton Deene...didn't want to, but had been delayed on my departure from home .. having read all the tales about motorway crime we spent the night well away from the trucks in the relative quiet part of the parking area and in the morning,fitted hitch locks & moved the rig closer to the food court, but, parked up between the trucks....BIG MISTAKE . !!.
On return to the van after about 45 mins , quick glance over and set off ...after a few miles something caught my eye in the rear view mirror..one of the windows,in the van , was moving. Every catch/stay on the front window had been opened ready for entrance...I can only summise that we returned in time because the blinds and fly screens had not been disturbed and no entry taken place.
So what do we do next ..never park between trucks so that the van is " hidden "...always use the car park on a service area...drill and screw each window catch.. or hope that the club & members will lobby the manufacturers to improve the rubbish security that is presently available . Meanwhile any suggestions on window security appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Likewise the van is never left unattended in UK or when en route abroad. All valuable stuff travels in the car and the van only contains clothes, kitchen utensils etc. Anyone looking in would not be too tempted as they would have to clamber around lounger chairs and spare wheel on the floor.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
What I am really concered with is the ease that the stays on the widow were opened...and I can tell how they did it .Why arn't the window 'locks' more secure. I have informed my insurerers of the incident and the ease of which the stays were opened and told them that the present security features of any van are hoplessly inadequate and development of better security would result in less claims.
I won't hold my breath on any enforced changes or action.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Barry dont think it's solely caravan's it's proberbly every vehicle on the market which has security issue's, just as an example yesterday I locked my keys in the car, AA man two wedges, peice of wire and about 1 minute to get in my car, so really in this day and age I'm sorry to say if they want it they will get it.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Ref Otherclive ...yes I take your point about never leaving the van ...but arn't you just admitting that there is a problem and all you can do is sit and guard your van. How would you feel if I could demostrate how easy it is to get in...would you then spend your whole holiday sitting in the van so that an entry could not take place. It just is not good enough to be constantly wooried and on your gaurd against the low lives of this world . You leave your stuff in the car because you feel it is relatively secure...so why do we have to put up with a lower level of security in our vans .It just dosn't make sense to me. If standards were raised re security some folks would moan about the increase costs of factory fitted devices...well having one van stolen and a car attempted to be stolen, nothing compares to the trauma and the expense of putting it all right again.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hang on a minute! At risk of being blasted out of the water here, are you all becoming a little paranoid about security? I'm sorry for anyone who has had their caravan/house illegally entered, but never to leave it unattended? Come on, folks!
I say are "you" becoming paranoid, because I must admit to being a bit lackadaisical abiout security, but I guess I've just been lucky never to have had a problem. That is probably the kiss of death now, and I'll be broken into in the next few months, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. But, then, mine is such an old outfit that the thieving toerags feel sorry for me!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
Hang on a minute! At risk of being blasted out of the water here, are you all becoming a little paranoid about security? I'm sorry for anyone who has had their caravan/house illegally entered, but never to leave it unattended? Come on, folks!
I say are "you" becoming paranoid, because I must admit to being a bit lackadaisical abiout security, but I guess I've just been lucky never to have had a problem. That is probably the kiss of death now, and I'll be broken into in the next few months, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. But, then, mine is such an old outfit that the thieving toerags feel sorry for me!
emmerson can you imagine parking your van in a service station taking the family off to breakfast return a little while later and the 5 year old grandson saying Gaga where's the caravan. Try to explain that one!!
Sorry but no thieveing toe rag is going to have my van due to my own stupidity, and to be honest I cant be bothered to fit security devices just for a short time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No I don't consider that I am being paranoid about security. Motorway services and Aires are well known risk areas so even when just refuelling one of us watches the vans blind spots to ensure (abroad in France/Spain) that no one interfers with the tyres. We keep most stuff in the car because a van is unlikely to be as secure and we like to keep the van weight low. On site gear goes into the van and we just take normal safeguards but accept that if someone wants to get into the van they will do. So again what few valuables we take travel in the car. The rest I guess would fall to insurance cover. If the window locks were more secure some sproat would just jemmy and break the window, unless they moved onto the next van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly caravan security is not good, and even having an alarm isn't going to do much to deter the motorway thieves, simply because there's so much noise around and car alarms are forever going off without good cause that the public usually turn a blind eye and ignore them.

So what to do? Wheel clamps and locking the hitch to the car will delay a tow away, maybe enough to make them look for an easier target, but such devises don't protect the contents for the opportunist.

Getting into caravans is often not that difficult, but if you can make it difficult to get out when carrying the swag that might help. Most caravan doors can be easily opened from the inside, so securing the door more effectively would help. A door lock with a deadlock? or even a hasp and padlock.

Leaving someone with the van is definitely the best deterrent.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just another thought - do you have one of the new single large front windows? I ask because we met a couple of caravanners in France this year who had the single big front window, and some of their window catches had opened, due to vibration from the wind resistance affecting the large window. Both had also suffered the problem of the 'spot in the middle of the window' from the two 'panes' rubbing together. One couple with a Sprite had had their front window (and catches) replaced twice already under warranty and the new window was equally troublesome!
I must admit we're like emmerson, and are quite happy to leave our van, but ours is now twelve years old and probably not a target for thieves.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a sad reflection of society today that there are people who prey on others,although I am of the opinion that the majority are still decent and honest. Caravanning by it's very nature is a pastime that is very difficult to make secure. As others have said,if you make your van over secure you risk greater damage from a break in. although I do agree that the makers could do more to improve window locks.I suspect the incidence of theft on sites is very small.even though most of us seem to leave items of value,chairs,aquaroll, barbecue and awnings unsecured when we leave a site. In 20 odd years we have 'lost' a jockey wheel while asleep in the van, and a water pump.Annoying and inconvenient but not the end of the world.The vulnerable time seems to be when travelling,so we rarely leave our caravan unattended,and if we have to, we fit wheel locks and hitchlock and lower the rear steadies.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We do stop at some services but only to walk the dogs, stretch our own legs around the caravan and of course have a drink an duse our own toilet. Why would I want to pay £4.99 for a sandwich or one of those cardboard burger things?
smiley-undecided.gif

Our insurance has specific special conditions relating to leaving the caravan unattended. Eg fixing both Al-ko locks , hitch lock and alarm..... What a chore just to use a rip off place that we just don't like.
Caravanning touring is all about mobility and independence so imo services are not on our user list.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid to some extent we simply have to live with the risk and not get paranoid about it. Given the price of the services we try not to use them and if we do we simply buy something from the shop the M&S if they have one and eat it in the van. The services operators probably do not want us anyway, we are comparitively few in number we spend little or nothing and take up lots of space.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You can say that again about not being wantaed ..have you seen the size of the new caravan area at Michael Wood services on M5..barely room for 5 vans.
If you noticed my first report to start this thread I had started out late from W.Mids and had intended to stop on the A30 on any of the three service areas near to Oakhampton. I had taken a look on Google maps and phoned the various sites to ask about overnighting and everything was looking Ok....unfortunately when the body clock says wooahh you have to obey.
So £19 50 to stop for 6/7 hours plus a £10 voucher towards what they call a full English and given the events of the morning something to debate with you guys.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
barrychas said:
and had intended to stop on the A30 on any of the three service areas near to Oakhampton.
hi, if were are on the A30 around that area we stop at roachford lake couple of quid for 4 hrs and a very good cafe with lake views, of course it no good for a overnighter but a rest stop for a couple of hrs perfect.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree with emmerson on this issue, and i would go much further and say its not anywhere near a common occurence, ie thefts from caravans be it s/stations or Aires.merely paranoid reactions to isolated incidents. as yet have found no stats to say eitherway which is such a shame as it leaves plenty of room for scaremongering. as an after thought are gas attacks on sleeping vanners up? i mean everything goes up so, as the gas attack rumours did the rounds a few years back, surely more crimbo's have gotten hold of this wonder gas and therefore attacks on vanners should now be a regular occurence! i say sure be vigilent, but its more likely your house will get robbed whilst your away than your caravan! Opps does that mean everyone will now stay at home to guard their homes......

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jonny

Somewhere back in the distant past I seem to remember an Insurer saying Motorway thefts had actually decreased. It's a shame some of the advertising Insurers on PCv can't give some more relevent figures.
One point you mention is leaving the home unattended. Quite right.
We must make sure our household insurance policy gives full cover when the home is vacant. Some give 4 weeks in any year , some nothing, some want a call etc. Best check before going for a motorway services sarnie. It would be terrible to get a double whammy and find both Insurers refused to pay!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Heading off tomorrow morning from E Yorks to Penzance and have to say I'll be as paranoid as ever when we pull up to exercise the peeps and feed the dowgs. As ever the outfit will remain attended at any service areas. I am fully aware that not only do we have a fairly high risk van but we also have a high risk car as well so business as usual. Breaking orf overnight on a CL in Devon so if anyone is passing give us a wave!!! over the two days! You can't miss us!!
Night night and catch you all inbetween Cornwall and Flamborough!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I see no evidence for the title of this topic.

Some window catches were found to be undone and that is all..... and the most likely reason for this is fairly obvious.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The two bottom catches on all three of my front windows become slack and it first occurred when the tow car changed from a Sorento to a estate. I put it down to a different aerodynamic flow regime leading to pressure fluctuations on the windows. The side catches stay firm so no concerns over the windows coming loose.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Amazing ....I'm now told that I didn't realise that some window catches,naturately may have come loose on my van before I parked up . ( see the start of this thread)....what planet are you on ..ALL the catches had been undone,whilst I was away in the restaruant.
I started this thread as a rant about the lamentable condition of the security features on a van , which are rubbish , and then I'm told that the catches can come loose on their own...so acording to you guys yet another crap securuty feature....come on I don't think so.
I can buy a cheap eastern car with better security than a van...what would you think after just forking out 22 grand for your new motor to be advised by all alike ..."oh by the way don't leave it unattended on a motorway service station " ...its a joke.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There is no effective way to secure polyplastic caravan windows which is why alarms and tracking devices are fitted to modern caravans.
Window catches could never be classed as security features and they are not intended to be.
Personally speaking I never leave my caravan unattended on motorway service areas even with an alarm and tracking device fitted, if you want to take the risk it's up to you.
My insurance policy stipulates that whenever my caravan is unattended wheel clamps and hitch lock must be in place and the alarm and tracker must be armed.
If somebody entered my caravan whether through the door or a window the alarm would activate and the tracker would send the co ordinates of the location to the control centre but I still don't let the caravan be unattended if I was on a Motorway Services because I'd rather not have the hassle of deploying the various security devices that I have in the time available.
It's no good ranting at forum members, caravan security is a joke but each and every one of us, including you, saw the window catches when we decided to buy our respective caravans and unless caravan security dramatically improves in some as yet to be discovered way then it's up to each of us to do what we think best to secure our property. For many of us this involves not leaving the caravan unattended in places where a theft is most likely to take place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts