Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Currently there is an extension from the Government of six months past the expiry date of your current MOT. Most Insurance policies say a vehicle must be properly maintained. Failure to do so may result in a rejected claim. Statistics show 33% of all vehicles fail their MOT. Where does that leave us today with our Insurers? I have seen nothing from any Insurer or the ABI
backing HMG on this. Do we have a potential problem looming🤔🤔🤔

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a legal requirement for vehicles to be roadworthy in addition to the insurance requirement - the MoT extension process doesn't alter that.

Responsible owners will get any faults fixed but there will be a minority who use the MoT extension to drive around in unroadworthy vehicles.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The problem is I think Roger many see the MOT and annual Service as a one time shot. Garages have been shut so no servicing or MOT. If you are not mechanically capable or able?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It isn't rocket science. If the car develops a safety fault get it fixed. Garages are open. Otherwise enjoy some extra time before the expense of the mot. Or get it done so next year's timing suits you like I am doing with my motorbike. Mot first weeks summer hols. Of course the less scrupulous of the fraternity will see it as an opportunity to get away with any old banger but they do anyway!.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife car having her MOT done when it due that September 9th but it going in August 10th and she always has a small service but we know about the extension we just want it done . If there a second wave with this Covid-19 she needs her car to get to the hospital :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My wife car having her MOT done when it due that September 9th but it going in August 10th and she always has a small service but we know about the extension we just want it done . If there a second wave with this Covid-19 she needs her car to get to the hospital :D

Be aware that one of the anomalies of the extension legislation is that if the car is tested within the extension period but fails then the extension period ends, ie it has to be rectified and re-tested before use on the road.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Be aware that one of the anomalies of the extension legislation is that if the car is tested within the extension period but fails then the extension period ends, ie it has to be rectified and re-tested before use on the road.
Just remember my wife needs her car (NMC (Nurse) and she was told to keep it serviceable with a MOT (Thanks for your input) :)

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi all just had m.o.t on my terracan went threw great but it run out in march my road tax run out first of april i went to the post office and got it taxed with no m.o.t but now all is well cheers .tom

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Department for Transport announced on Monday that the six-month extension granted to all drivers whose MOTs expired after March 30 will now end on August 1 - two months earlier than originally intended.

It doesn't shorten the extension for any MoT expiring between April 1st and the end of July, that's still a six month extension from it's original expiry date - any MoT expiring from August 1st won't get an extension.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't shorten the extension for any MoT expiring between April 1st and the end of July, that's still a six month extension from it's original expiry date - any MoT expiring from August 1st won't get an extension.
So an MOT expiring July will not have to be renewed until January 2021. Bizarre as some service and MoT centres have been open throughout and more opened as relaxations took place. I can’t see any realistic reason not to haul it back in again by giving just a couple of months notice.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
MOT due on or after 1 August 2020
your MOT will not be extended if your vehicle MOT expires on or after 1 August 2020 you must book an MOT as usual
So it looks like she was right to book .the garage said it was fine

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MOT due on or after 1 August 2020
your MOT will not be extended if your vehicle MOT expires on or after 1 August 2020 you must book an MOT as usual
So it looks like she was right to book .the garage said it was fine
I think that’s what RogerL has just said.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'll get mine done anyway to suit me-just gives me time to adjust the mot anniversary to what suits me better instead of losing money by paying to have it done earlier than you'd have to normally. Great for me!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it you get the strange position that if your MOT expires on 31 July, you have until the end of January to renew it, but if it is 1 August you have to get it done in July.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It is strange but I suppose it spreads it out and prevent everyone from trying to get an Mot before the 1st August who could miss it from 31st MArch-you'd never get in! I now have all summer to get the bike an mot! Happy days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts