Mover for a Twin Axle

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I thinking about getting a mover,

My question is do I need one with 4 motors or could I get away with just 2?

Also if it was just 2 motors, which axle sould it be fitted to?

Is having it fitted or DIY the best option, I'm quite handy with spanners so fitting it would bother me,

What are your recommendations then guys and girls?

I apologise for all the questions, I have googled it but there are so many different non conclusive answers :dry:

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
A huge choice then :eek:hmy:

The owners manual says 'Max Auth Weight' I assume thats the same as MTPLM?

and its 1445kg

Thank you once again for your help :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With any twin axle mover it will NOT turn the van in its own length and some shuffling is required to complete a turn.
If you opt for either the 2 wheel mover or 4 wheel mover, the speed is the same, as is the need for shuffling.
If you opt for the 2 wheel mover it is best fitted behind the rear axle to allow some weight to be lifted from the front axle when turning.

If you do a DIY fit, then only the parts are warranted for the 5 years in the case of Powrtouch, and all others.
If you have it fitted the whole installation is warranted and any repairs or adjustments are covered.

From being involved with fitting movers and knowing the workings of warranties, Powrtouch offer the best all round package with no hassle if a fault is reported to them, and they will get a fitter to you wherever you are in the UK to fix it.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Powertouch are probably the best but we couldn't afford one so after checking out all the options we opted for a Royal Atlas.

It has electric actuation so connects to the wheels at the press of a button.
Its fitted to the two front wheels only but manoeuvres the van fine.

Had it fitted two years and apart from replacing the batteries in the handset, had no problems.

The dealer charged £950 to supply & fit

Hope this helps
John

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
starlightdj said:
Hi Powertouch are probably the best but we couldn't afford one so after checking out all the options we opted for a Royal Atlas.

It has electric actuation so connects to the wheels at the press of a button.
Its fitted to the two front wheels only but manoeuvres the van fine.

Had it fitted two years and apart from replacing the batteries in the handset, had no problems.

The dealer charged £950 to supply & fit

Hope this helps
John

You can get a manual activated powrtouch that will do the job, ( only if you are fit enough to swing on the lever ) as it's one more thing less to go wrong.
Oh ! and its showing in the link fitted for £699.00 six years ago my powrtouch cost nearly a grand fitted never had a problem and with out it i could not get the van into the garden..

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Well I've come up with a short-list........

Powrtouch classic £699 fitted, £599 DIY + £19.99 delivery
or
Purpleline enduro 2 £699 fitted, £599 DIY + £19.99 delivery (Parts only warranty)

For the extra £80 I think I will have it fitted, (A) better warranty on the powrtouch, (B ) its to cold to be rolling around on the floor at the storage site fitting it

Out of the 2 brands which would you guys recommend?

Also would I have to get a pneumatic jockey wheel opposed to the sold Al-Ko one I have?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
SmnByt said:
Well I've come up with a short-list........

Powrtouch classic £699 fitted, £599 DIY + £19.99 delivery
or
Purpleline enduro 2 £699 fitted, £599 DIY + £19.99 delivery (Parts only warranty)

For the extra £80 I think I will have it fitted, (A) better warranty on the powrtouch, (B ) its to cold to be rolling around on the floor at the storage site fitting it

Out of the 2 brands which would you guys recommend?

Also would I have to get a pneumatic jockey wheel opposed to the sold Al-Ko one I have?

The difference between your numbers is £100 for fitting, not £80.

I'm happy with PowrTouch, but then I've not had anything else to compare to.

A pneumatic tyre is OK if it will retract enough to give proper ground clearance. They are susceptible to punctures and also losing their air.

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
The DIY option you have to pay £19.99 delivery, the fitted option the fitter brings it with him so no delivery charge.

I just thought the pneumatic tyre may not dig in so much as its wider??

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
SmnByt said:
A pneumatic tyre is OK if it will retract enough to give proper ground clearance. They are susceptible to punctures and also losing their air.

That's why i use one of these :p

They didn't cost that much when i bought mine, :eek:hmy: a nice big wheel to spread the load & the wheel can be easily removed, even though it has got a built in weight gauge it's not calibrated but I find that the suspension movement does help as i have to climb a kerb to get my van in the garden.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I have twin axle with a powrtouch fitted to two wheels only rather than to all four but have never had any trouble moving the van which has an MTPLM of 1680 kg

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a powrtouch 2 motor mover fitted to a twin axle. New van arrives shortly and it will be transferred onto it. This will be the third van it has been fitted to. Mine has been always fitted to the front axle and works fine. I can understand the reasoning for fitting it to the rear axle, but as well as being covered in spray from the tyres in wet weather, it would also mean being unable to use the jacking point for the van, which is behind the rear axle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts