Mr Shifta 3

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Greetings, all,
Anybody out there had experience of the above motor mover - I will have a short/ medium term use for one in the near future, before caravan upgrade and chassis mounted mover.
Looking for reasonably priced pre-used Shifta 3 if possible.
regards,
PK49

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
For what it is worth I have extensive experience of using the MK1 Mr Shifta around my home. Mine had the standard hard surface tyres.
Excellent bit of kit for the right applications and the weight of it stays at home.
They have distinct limitations the major one inherent on the limited weight taken by its wheels and the resulting traction grip. It carrying its own heavy lead acid battery puts it at advantage relative to other “A” frame drives because of that extra battery weight.
I could move my 1000 kg van anywhere with complete confidence, dry or wet on my tarmac and concrete surfaces that included a hump with 1:14 slopes.
I could similarly handle my 1700 kg van when the surfaces were dry; but I could not stop the van when needed on the slopes when things were wet.

I did not have any lawn or gravel use experience.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
JTQ - many thanks for this input.
I have an Eriba Puck 230 Touring, which weighs in at approx 875 kgs - the problem I will have at new house is a slight slope, up which I will have move/ reverse the Puck into park postion, bum first. Not being the best at reversing up slopes, and not wanting to knock the clutch out of 1.4 Fiesta, the Shifta seems the best short term option. No other option seems to be on the market right ow.
My feeling, from other feedback, is that the Shifta 3 is up to this task - locating a pre-owned one is the problem.
thanks
PK49

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
PK49,

With the van uncoupled there is possibly another option as you want to go in "bum" first up the slope and it’s a zero cost one that comes about by virtue of the van’s auto reverse brakes. It will work up quite significant slopes all depending on levers, weights, slope etc.

I don’t know the handbrake on the Eriba Puck range but if it’s a simple one with a press button release you are in business.

The underlying principle is that with the brake put on sufficiently for the van not to roll forward, it can still move backwards; the essence of the “auto reverse” mechanism.
So if you put the brake partly on then move the tow hitch from side to side you will find that the van goes backwards like magic. What is clearly happening is instead of one wheel rolling forward and one backwards, is that the brake holds the one that wants to move forward but not the one that wants to move backwards, so the van goes backwards.
Helping you is some mechanical advantage, levers etc. As only one wheel moves as you swing to each side the vans mass only moves half the distance the wheel moves and you are pushing/pulling at a greater leverage [the length of the hitch to axle versus the half axle length]. So its leagues easier than bodily trying to push the thing up hill and it cant roll back as the brake is “on”.
Also greatly helping you is its such a light van as well; doing this is well worth a try.
I used this technique on a heavier 1000kg van long before I had any movers and to "walk" it up my levelling wedge.
JTQ

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i have a motor mover hitch type pulls a sprite 4 no probs just got biger van so its redundent its a eurotech like new and spare battery that i used if you a intrested get my e mail off one of the mods .

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
JTQ,
Fascinating idea, and I'm sure it works in theory, with some practice - I might need a quite moment, when I'm next on a site, to work this out.
Also, I would need to get full support from Significant Other to buy into this - maybe Shifta 3 is the easiest way out.
regards,
PK49

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts