Mt Blanc Tunnel

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
We are going to Milan, Florence and Venice in June via Geneve and the tunnel. Are there any pointers you can give to smooth the way for first time travellers to that part.

G

My preference is the Andermatt tunnel leading to Lugano then onto Milan, I just think its an easier route

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
I understand from simon and evans of sprot that the andermatt tunnel is an easier gradient and you would have to pay for the privilage of using the swiss roads the "vignette" the latter i know is the case but could some body confirm for sure that the andermatt is an easier climb? thanks luke

G

Just believe the Italian side is easier via Andermatt and you only pay on the French Autoroutes anyway ? and via Strasboug cross into Germany and have some free !

G

Sorry should have made myself clearer, yes I know Andermatt is in Switzerland but the German Autobahn up to Basel is free, thats what I meant you may pay more for Swiss m/way,( but is valid for 1 year) but you save on not paying Autoroute tolls in France

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Having done that route in 2006, I'd get there early in the day to avoid queuing. The gradients are no problem but stick to the speed limit in the tunnel. They have speed cameras and tell everyone else your speed! Oh and be prepared to pay as you don't get a discount unless you come back in 7 days which isn't likely if you're on holiday. Italy is superb!

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Luke

we've towed our van down that way, and I would definitely stay on the French motorway system and go via Mont Blanc. You won't have any problem.
Thanks john for replying when you say you have travelled down that way before do you mean you have done the "andermatt" and based on that stick with mont blanc?

thanks luke

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Evans of sprot i tried that link and it would not get me onto you tube, i did get in there via google but tried the andermatt tunnel and got nothing for it only found mont blanc and the gotthard, i wondered if you could tell me what to search for when im on you tube. thanks luke

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got there through Google - Think I said something like "Driving through the Mont Blanc Tunnel" and then went to related video to see others. There isn't an Andermatt tunnel as far as I know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got there through Google - Think I said something like "Driving through the Mont Blanc Tunnel" and then went to related video to see others. There isn't an Andermatt tunnel as far as I know.
Mine works!

Try 'Up & Down Mont Blanc' in u-tube!

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the very interesting information. I have already booked sites on the way south to Geneva so am committed to Mont Blanc. The videos are useful too but it is a pity they are not clear enough to enable me to read the road signs so that I know what the procedure on entry is. Presumanly towing vehicles follow the lorry route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts