MUNICIPAL CAMP SITES IN FRANCE

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a question for all you seasoned Euro travellers. I want to make a booking at a specific municipal campsite in a very nice location within 5km of the Le Mans race circuit , I go to the 24hr race every year but am planning to continue on after race W/E further into France, hence we are taking the caravan for a change.

I have obtained the e-mail address via the le mans tourist office and this happens to be the local Maries office in the village in order to make a booking. I have yet had no response to my enquiries about bookings from this office and I am coming to the conclusion that they will not make bookings until the campsite opens for the new season-am I assuming correctly?

We travelled down to the Alps for christmas with the caravan and admittedly there were no sites open on the way down but all the municipal sites in the wintersports areas were open as usual!!

It was brilliant!

What was more astonishing was the fact that the site we stayed on at Taninges manned the site office as usual from 7-00am until 7-00pm and were on hand for any problems!! just like any other day.

GERALD

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Try the Caravan club "Caravan Europe 1".

It lists many municipal in France, listing addresses & phone numbers. On sale from the C.C.

But I was informed that you can get it cheaper on Amazon.

It costs about

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Try: http://www.campingfrance.com/

It is the web-site of the French Federation of Camping and Caravanning.

I think you will find that generaly the Marie, and may sites, do not respond to e-mails. It is much better to telephone.

Alun

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good advice all round - I've stopped at the municipal at Mayet many times and can recommend that as an alternative.

And I've stopped at Taninges too; but when I was there the gardien was English so that might account for your reception.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"Try the Caravan club "Caravan Europe 1".

It lists many municipal in France, listing addresses & phone numbers. On sale from the C.C.

But I was informed that you can get it cheaper on Amazon.

It costs about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thankyou everyone I have a CC europe book but it is a couple of years out of date, to be honest I never thought to look because I assumed they would not list municipal sites.

You are quite correct about Taninges, one of the guys that runs the site is from Bristol! Over christmas the office was staffed by a very nice french lady who was most helpful .

I think I will resort to basic french via the telephone and try to make a booking that way.

GERALD

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I've had exactly the same situation with another municipal near Tours. I emailed them in December, wanting to book an overnight stop in July but have had no reply yet. I'm sure the staff will be employed seasonally. I'll email again when the site is open in the spring.

Stayed at a municipal near Rouen (village called St Georges du Vievre) as an overnight stop on the way up from the Atlantic Coast last year - _12 per night for a caravan, super pitch and 4 people!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well there are more than ten thousand campsites in France, and I guess that the majority of them are municipals.

Sadly quite a few of them are being privatised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts