My refrigerator doesn't freeze

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Hello friends. I'm Ciprian, I have a caravan Abbey Vogue GTS 214, from 1998, and I'm facing the next problem. My Electrolux refrigerator cools, but does not freeze in the freezer. How can I solve this problem? I have this problem when the refrigerator works both on LPG, at 12v or 220v. Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello friends. I'm Ciprian, I have a caravan Abbey Vogue GTS 214, from 1998, and I'm facing the next problem. My Electrolux refrigerator cools, but does not freeze in the freezer. How can I solve this problem? I have this problem when the refrigerator works both on LPG, at 12v or 220v. Thank you.
Bearing in mind how old the caravan is its almost certain the fridge has not been serviced recently. There is a strong possibility it may have lost some or all of its refrigerant, and that would certain prevent it from working.

I cannot tell you if your model can be re-gassed or not, but a service engineer should be able to advise you.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It may depend on what is meant by ‘freeze’. In my experience, most caravan fridges are poor at freezing unfrozen foods but will just manage to keep pre-frozen stuff frozen, but even then, not to the extent of a domestic freezer.

Are you saying it is not working as well as it has previously?

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot tell you if your model can be re-gassed or not,

No it cannot.

Apart from its age, what climate are you trying to use it in and experiencing this problem?
If you live in a high temperature area then the fridge will struggle to operate at times when the temperature is anything above 25 to 30 degrees.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In the olden days, it used to be said that removing an absorption fridge, as used in a caravan, turning it upside down and shaking it would restore the effectiveness of the cooling - something to do with the liquid/gas inside the system.

Reactions: DaveA1

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the olden days, it used to be said that removing an absorption fridge, as used in a caravan, turning it upside down and shaking it would restore the effectiveness of the cooling - something to do with the liquid/gas inside the system.

That is an old wives tale.

It may "seem" to work but all it does is move any rust from one place to another for a short while, then its back to the beginning.

Its a bit like leaving it upturned for 24 hours,,,,,,,it only needs seconds, enough for the liquid to go from top to bottom and back again.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
That is an old wives tale.

It may "seem" to work but all it does is move any rust from one place to another for a short while, then its back to the beginning.

Its a bit like leaving it upturned for 24 hours,,,,,,,it only needs seconds, enough for the liquid to go from top to bottom and back again.
I had the same problem with my caravan fridge 2006 sterling elite searcher the code on the LCD panel was code 18 with is the thermister so change that still the same prob so my mobile caravan servicer changed the pcb master board still no joy still code 18 engineer was scratching his head because changed everything that could be changed so in the end it cost me £1300 for a new fridge which works fine now mine was a n150 tall fridge freezer i was pulling my hair out but we rally a lot so a good fridge is a must

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, load it with frozen food. As others have said, they aren't very good at freezing from ambient. Secondly, don't overfill it. We have never had a problem before except our second to last trip. Knowing we would be away a while, we packed the freezer full, and everything began to defrost. At first I thought we too had a fault, but last time out we didn't put quite so much in, leaving room for the cold air to circulate, and it worked perfectly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
First is to check and make sure the fridge is sealed in properly at the rear so that air flows over the fins. You could also add a small 12v fan near the top vent to help with air flow over the fins.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, load it with frozen food. As others have said, they aren't very good at freezing from ambient. Secondly, don't overfill it. We have never had a problem before except our second to last trip. Knowing we would be away a while, we packed the freezer full, and everything began to defrost. At first I thought we too had a fault, but last time out we didn't put quite so much in, leaving room for the cold air to circulate, and it worked perfectly.
I saw a thread on here a long time ago, the bloke said the same, when he removed the burgers from the freezer they were chilled but not frozen, as when he put them in. Next day everything had frozen down again. As the air could get around the food in the freezer.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Good to find. I solved the problem and now the refrigerator cools very well. The temperature in the refrigerator is now 1 degree Celsius, and in the freezer -8 degrees Celsius. I checked both LPG and 220V. The solution was very simple. I disconnected the refrigerator from all power sources, took it out of the storage space, then turned it 180 degrees several times. I overturned it at least 15 times. I hit lightly on the back pipes with a piece of wood. Because the cooling system is on ammonia, it crystallizes inside the pipes. By rolling and tapping the pipes, the crystals decompose and the liquid circuit is restored. In Romania, most owners of old caravans who face this problem use this method. And it works as long as the ammonia in the circuit has not leaked from the installation through a crack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts