My wife passed her test in sept 1998- what test is needed to ...

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone done the extra test to enable them to tow a caravan.

Wife passed her test in 1998 and wants to be able to tow ( if only in an emergency etc )

What is the test?, how do you train for it etc ?

Cost ?

Many Thanks Andy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

Your wife's licence category requirement depends on what she wants to tow.

This website provides information here but generally speaking if your caravan is not heavier than your car and the car and caravan combined do not exceed 3.5 tonnes she could tow without needing a further test.

Both clubs offer training courses which would enable your wife to obtain a category B+E licence

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Our car is a VW phaeton and the van a senator Wyoming - so both heavy , but not sure of combined weight.

I will contact the clubs - I did try the caravan club last week and someone was going to call back but didn't!

Thanks

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The GVW of a Phaeton is at least 2680kg (exact data depends on what engine and other equipment is fitted, but 2680kg is the minimum). The MTPLM of a Senator Wyoming is 1678kg according to my data, so the combination is well in excess of 3500kg which is the limit for a category B licence.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes it is well over the 3500kg limit , I called the Caravan Club again they were no help, tried to check on government website - but they had a high number of calls and suggested calling back !! I am only trying to find out what the test involves !!

Andy

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Andy

I just googled B+E training:

You could give these a ring to try & find out what is involved

B+E Driver training

Or e-mail them, it will give you some idea.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.. yes it is 'arm and a leg stuff'.

Some breakdown insurances provide for a replacement driver in the event of an emergency involving the incapacity of the only driver.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
andy thee used to be off road places you could go and practice driving, I did that when we first got a van, practices all the turning and reversing, man was a bit surprised seeing the van but it was ok.

you could try that, then just book the test and use your outfit.

As far as I know you don't take the test on public roads, I think they do them at the lorry places but not sure....

Or if you have a nice friend with an outfit under the 3.5 your wife could practice on the road then......would have to be a good friend though....

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We cant justify the cost at the moment.

I have a trailer which i guess she could practice with , but frankly it is far more difficult to reverse than our twin axle !!

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

There is nothing to prevent your good lady from driving your outfit (and caravan) at the moment.

Her licence, although a full licence, also allows her to drive vehicles of other groups as a provisional driver.

In the case of an outfit over 3500kgs such as yours, she can drive it providing that she is accompanied by a suitably qualified supervisor and the outfit has 'L' plates fitted.

If this was not the case, how do you think everybody could get the hours in to pass the test!

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andy,

Don't know which part of the country you live in, but if you are anywhere near Barnard Castle (South County Durham) there is a place there which does B+E training,

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Andy,

There is nothing to prevent your good lady from driving your outfit (and caravan) at the moment.

Her licence, although a full licence, also allows her to drive vehicles of other groups as a provisional driver.

In the case of an outfit over 3500kgs such as yours, she can drive it providing that she is accompanied by a suitably qualified supervisor and the outfit has 'L' plates fitted.

If this was not the case, how do you think everybody could get the hours in to pass the test!
Very interesting - Also never seen a caravan with L plates !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

Greetings again,

Probably the reason you haven't seen a caravan with 'L' plates on (or any other trailer for that matter) is that a 'learner' in the strictest sense ie. not passed a test to drive that class of vehicle is not allowed to tow anything.

Your good lady does not fall into that classification. I'm sure you have seen HGV's (or whatever they are called now) with plates up. They're another vehicle that you couldn't get into to learn to drive from scratch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts