My world is so different

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fear that what I started as a generalisation of how my life has unravelled has started to veer off towards 'political' areas which we all know should be avoided on this caravan forum, I imagine there will be a fair few people of my age and experience, and it is this feeling that we are somehow not catered for in the modern world. Yes I could make more of an effort, I could follow celebrities on Twitter, or influencers on Tik Tok, but what is wrong with choosing to follow my own judgement,I feel sad for people who are influenced by complete strangers endorsing products on line, who then rush off and buy this stuff. similarly if the Princess of Wales wears a particular outfit, what posesses people to rush off to buy the same one. Is it just me, or is there something more sinister going on, where companies, not just in media are attempting to manipulate us,I have no idea whether I am falling for it, may be I am gullible,but I look at some of the strange things that happen nowadays and make my own decisions based on experience, and the assumption that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, I expect people to try to con me, I expect the internet to be full of fraudulent websites, and I expect the long lost relative from Nigeria is not genuine, I do think it sad that this is what the world has become. Not all is lost however, while visiting Leamington Spa last year I lost my wallet,and a lady handed it to a security officer in the shopping precinct, who rang me and asked me to go and collect it. I met him and he handed it back intact, all he would say was the lady was upset to think someone had lost it, she didn't leave her name or contact number so I will never know who she was,but I will never forget her act of kindness.

Reactions: PTA

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I fear that what I started as a generalisation of how my life has unravelled has started to veer off towards 'political' areas which we all know should be avoided on this caravan forum, I imagine there will be a fair few people of my age and experience, and it is this feeling that we are somehow not catered for in the modern world. Yes I could make more of an effort, I could follow celebrities on Twitter, or influencers on Tik Tok, but what is wrong with choosing to follow my own judgement,I feel sad for people who are influenced by complete strangers endorsing products on line, who then rush off and buy this stuff. similarly if the Princess of Wales wears a particular outfit, what posesses people to rush off to buy the same one. Is it just me, or is there something more sinister going on, where companies, not just in media are attempting to manipulate us,I have no idea whether I am falling for it, may be I am gullible,but I look at some of the strange things that happen nowadays and make my own decisions based on experience, and the assumption that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, I expect people to try to con me, I expect the internet to be full of fraudulent websites, and I expect the long lost relative from Nigeria is not genuine, I do think it sad that this is what the world has become. Not all is lost however, while visiting Leamington Spa last year I lost my wallet,and a lady handed it to a security officer in the shopping precinct, who rang me and asked me to go and collect it. I met him and he handed it back intact, all he would say was the lady was upset to think someone had lost it, she didn't leave her name or contact number so I will never know who she was,but I will never forget her act of kindness.

To be fair, I think we have nearly all tried to avoid political partisanship by steering a middle course- which is different from " being political". Yes, the world has changed , but our values, hopefully, remain the same- as that kindly lady, who in my experience is by no means unique, demonstrates.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been keeping a moderator eye on this thread because as a forum we don't really 'do' politics and in the distant past this type of discussion invariably led to what we then called the 'forum bloodbath'.
That is why we put a complete stop to political threads at the time.
As in any discussion there have been differing opinions, but the thread has so far been good natured and polite, so no moderator intervention has been required.
The slightly political thread has been allowed, to provide some interest as a break from the usual run of the mill caravan related questions and answers, things can become a bit samey during the colder months when less touring takes place.
Thanks from me, to all participants for expressing varied opinions whilst remaining level headed and within forum guidelines. 🙂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure it’s the Chairman? He’s keeping a low profile wrt his actions regarding a loan to the leader of a political party who appointed him to the BBC. The Director General is the one caught up in the present hiatus.
Apologies you are correct and I have amended my post.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t think my parents understood what we were about as teenagers. Could it be a generational thing. My granddaughter and her friends are far more balanced and aware of the world than we were at their age, and few of them drink and none smoke or vape. Unlike us every night out was the pub or occasionally the cinema. I think you are right just balance your own views.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What I really object to in this fiasco is the Trial by the Media. No matter who was right or wrong hasn’t come into it. It was even mentioned on here that the Chairman may have been involved in financial affairs that were not a good idea. I only know what the Media has reported and frankly don’t trust them.
I never want us as a Country to lose or freedom of speech but equally there is no doubt too much sensationalism and garbage is coming out from people who should know better.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What I really object to in this fiasco is the Trial by the Media. No matter who was right or wrong hasn’t come into it. It was even mentioned on here that the Chairman may have been involved in financial affairs that were not a good idea. I only know what the Media has reported and frankly don’t trust them.
I never want us as a Country to lose or freedom of speech but equally there is no doubt too much sensationalism and garbage is coming out from people who should know better.
Re #29 I did not say anything about the BBC Chairman’s actions not being a good idea. I merely stated what is in the media. Wrt trial by media just look at the effect it’s had on Fiona Bruce and her valuable patronage of a women’s abuse charity.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Strangely for once it seems that the majority on this forum seem to be in agreement with one another regarding the press and also an over paid presenter with a bloated ego! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Re #29 I did not say anything about the BBC Chairman’s actions not being a good idea. I merely stated what is in the media. Wrt trial by media just look at the effect it’s had on Fiona Bruce and her valuable patronage of a women’s abuse charity.
I wasn’t castigating you Clive , more so the fact the media said it, you merely reported what was said 👍

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts