My world is so different

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So I've reached an age when I have managed to benefit from the state pension, during my time so far I have never been out of work, never seen a Shakespeare play, never been to the ballet,not the least bit interested in Gary Lineker, Ant and Dec, Alison Hammond, Stephen Fry,Alan Carr, Philip Schofield,or Amanda Holden. Don't watch Britains Got Talent,or any of the Love Island I'm a celebrity programmes, or soaps, or self congratulatory awards programmes. My phone doesn't have internet but does allow me to make phone calls and send texts. our house is paid for , our cars and caravan are paid for,and we can afford to pay our energy bills , poll tax , television licenece etc. Am I lucky or have I been prudent, who knows, perhaps a bit of both, whatever, I feel ignored by media and despair for the future, when the world seems to be focussed on absolute trivia, we have people in this country who are less fortunate, and may be suffering,may be even using food banks,and the main news story over the weekend has been the stand off between the BBC and Mr Lineker, incidentally I don't remember the BBC hesitating when Mr Clarkson upset them.
Thank goodness the better weather is on it's way and we will be able to get away in our caravan, and enjoy some time away,and ignore the nonsense peddled by the media. When I was growing up the world seemed so different, so exciting, so much promise,I now realise that I have been let down by all governments of whichever colour, we were promised that North Sea Oil would allow us an independent energy strategy, we woukld be working less and retiring earlier, we can all see how that worked out.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
On a similar note. I saved AND spent money wisely, I finished the mortgage at 49, made redundant at 50 and now at 53 living a comfortable life in a job I enjoy with no debts. I SHOULD have been happy enough to bounce off the walls, but I wasn't. I found that I was sinking into a very deep black hole and needed to find the cause and drag myself out of it. The cause turned out to be the constant bombardment of negative, doom-mongering news stories, whenever you log onto the internet there's some sensationalist headline punching you right between the eyes.

My solution was to simply stop looking at the news, my news headlines now centre on whatever I can see by looking out of the window, my world is now a much happier place to be!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the issue is that the new BBC Director General is trying to bring back the old style BBC and for it to be totally impartial like it used to be in the "old" days before it got taken over by over paid presenters with bloated egos!

A little bird told told me that HMRC are taking a keen interest in a certain presenter who is said to owe at least £4 million in back taxes due to tax evasion.

Just to add, we very seldom watch BBC and due to coverage on Sky News gave up on that and now watch ITV Good Morning. The presenter on there had a very good quip regarding the current BBC saga and said "Surely there is more to life than a (certain presenter)", but he named the presenter which I don't think we are allowed to name on here.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think the issue is that the new BBC Chairman is trying to bring back the old style BBC and for it to be totally impartial like it used to be in the "old" days before it got taken over by over paid presenters with bloated egos!

A little bird told told me that HMRC are taking a keen interest in a certain presenter who is said to owe at least £4 million in back taxes due to tax evasion.

Just to add, we very seldom watch BBC and due to coverage on Sky News gave up on that and now watch ITV Good Morning. The presenter on there had a very good quip regarding the current BBC saga and said "Surely there is more to life than a (certain presenter)", but he named the presenter which I don't think we are allowed to name on here.
Never watch BBC news programmes ,yuk. Sky news and their over hyped bigoted drama queens is a no no. GB News is our favourite now

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Woodsieboy +1 but I have seen a ballet (albeit in a tent on Jesus Green in Cambridge about 50 years ago!) and I took VR as early retirement at 62 - tens years ago at the end of June. Never looked back.

Dustydog - very definite +1. Sky News was OK until they put that Burley woman into the morning slot. Far too aggresive for that time in the morning! GBNews is far more entertaining, generally less politically biased (especially than Auntie), and the chemistry between the presenters can often be magic.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog - very definite +1. Sky News was OK until they put that Burley woman into the morning slot. Far too aggresive for that time in the morning! GBNews is far more entertaining, generally less politically biased (especially than Auntie), and the chemistry between the presenters can often be magic.

I thought we were the only ones that did not like her. She asks a question and the person being interviewed starts to reply, she then cuts them off and asks a another question and as it is being answered, she cuts them off yet again with another question. The woman is so rude it seems she was never taught any manners when growing up! Sorry I am a bit old fashion and try to watch my manners most of the time!

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought we were the only ones that did not like her. She asks a question and the person being interviewed starts to reply, she then cuts them off and asks a another question and as it is being answered, she cuts them off yet again with another question. The woman is so rude it seems she was never taught any manners when growing up! Sorry I am a bit old fashion and try to watch my manners most of the time!
The ITV breakfast show has plenty of presenters who continually interupt after they've asked a question - personally I can't abide any of the breakfast shows but SWMBO insists on having one on.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I think the saddest thing is that our country is more polarised than I can ever remember. Not only that, but our printed low grade tabloid media encourage and stoke that division not only within our country but also with our continental neighbours and even vulnerable (legal) refugees. .When I scan the newspaper headlines each day in my local Tesco It all seems incredibly ugly.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
GB News has guests joining the regulars. Surprisingly “toe job to no job” David Mellor has mellowed and tells it how it is without pulling his punches. Michael Portillo is another great presenter.

Reactions: Parksy

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
GB News has guests joining the regulars. Surprisingly “toe job to no job” David Mellor has mellowed and tells it how it is without pulling his punches. Michael Portillo is another great presenter.
Far too politically biased for me. Particularly in the afternoon. I have stopped listening as I prefer my news as unadulterated as possible.

Reactions: Bluetonic

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I STILL think the BBC tries hard to be impartial. ITV and Sky news try hard too. Of the printed press The Times, although part of the Murdoch group, and, whilst seen as a Tory newspaper, is pretty good at avoiding (all) party lines - a condition of its purchase was that it retained editorial and content independence. It doesn't adjust its headlines or content to suit or "propagandise" on behalf of any political party - unlike The Daily Mail, Daily Express or the Guardian.
I don't like media that, in effect, are telling me what to think!
Believe it or not Al Jazeera website is quite impartial, reporting without opinion. Quite a surprise!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I STILL think the BBC tries hard to be impartial. ITV and Sky news try hard too. Of the printed press The Times, although part of the Murdoch group, whilst seen as a Tory newspaper is pretty good at avoiding (all) party lines - a condition of its purchase was that it retained editorial and content independence. It doesn't adjust its headlines or content to suit or "propagandise" on behalf of any political party - unlike The Daily Mail, Daily Express or the Guardian.
Fair enough. GB News and DT for me😋😋

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that all news media operate some sort of an agenda, but some are more obvious than others.
I tend more and more to take in the headlines but to ignore the 'interviews'.
As stated by others, some presenters are irritating with their rude attempts to perform a 'Gotcha' on the hapless interviewee.
The BBC comes in for a lot of criticism from both the left and the right, so perhaps they are trying to steer a middle ground after all?
'Celebrity' figures like actors, pop stars and sports pundits in my opinion would be best to keep their political views to themselves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the issue is that the new BBC Chairman is trying to bring back the old style BBC and for it to be totally impartial like it used to be in the "old" days before it got taken over by over paid presenters with bloated egos!

Are you sure it’s the Chairman? He’s keeping a low profile wrt his actions regarding a loan to the leader of a political party who appointed him to the BBC. The Director General is the one caught up in the present hiatus.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
People are turning to outlets such as GB News and Talk TV due to the constant onslaught of left wing bias from the rest of the news media. I'm not even going to start on the coverage of Covid., did that in another thread and got asked not to be politcal. Talk TV's main presenters are right leaning but they have plenty of lefties on there too such as some of the panelists on "The Talk" and Trish Goddard at the weekend. James Whale is utterly vile and shouldn't be on the air but Mike Graham and Kevin 'O' Sullivan are a scream, even if I don't always agree with them. It's just refreshing to hear a different perspective from the left wing echo chamber most of the media seem to be stuck in.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodsieboy +1 but I have seen a ballet (albeit in a tent on Jesus Green in Cambridge about 50 years ago!) and I took VR as early retirement at 62 - tens years ago at the end of June. Never looked back.

TV rarely if ever goes on before the 1 o’clock news, then not again until after supper. Tend to watch BBC or ITV news at 2200. Reading is The Times on three days per week, Guardian every day on line for which I give an occasional one off subscription of £10, CNN on line every day, and a free copy of Der Spiegel online on a Friday.

Consider myself fortunate having been able to negotiate compulsory retirement terms aged 52 in March 2000, and then able to choose two follow on jobs, safe in the knowledge that I could resign at any time if I wanted too.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I STILL think the BBC tries hard to be impartial. ITV and Sky news try hard too. Of the printed press The Times, although part of the Murdoch group, and, whilst seen as a Tory newspaper, is pretty good at avoiding (all) party lines - a condition of its purchase was that it retained editorial and content independence. It doesn't adjust its headlines or content to suit or "propagandise" on behalf of any political party - unlike The Daily Mail, Daily Express or the Guardian.
Believe it or not Al Jazeera website is quite impartial, reporting without opinion. Quite a surprise!

It is a well know fact that there is only one newspaper delivered to Broadcasting House - about 3000 copies per day - and that is the Grauniad.

I rest my case M'lud.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I think that all news media operate some sort of an agenda, but some are more obvious than others.
I tend more and more to take in the headlines but to ignore the 'interviews'.
As stated by others, some presenters are irritating with their rude attempts to perform a 'Gotcha' on the hapless interviewee.
The BBC comes in for a lot of criticism from both the left and the right, so perhaps they are trying to steer a middle ground after all?
'Celebrity' figures like actors, pop stars and sports pundits in my opinion would be best to keep their political views to themselves.

I sort of agree, but, there is danger sometimes in only reading the headlines in printed media which are often the most direct route to attempts to politically influence readerships. Remember the headline describing judges who had applied impartiality and interpretation of the law as "Enemies of the People" because their judgement didn't accord with the views of the "newspaper's owners? There are examples from all sides of politics and when like that they attempt to undermine our democracy, and that is dangerous imho.

Reactions: otherclive

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
It is a well know fact that there is only one newspaper delivered to Broadcasting House - about 3000 copies per day - and that is the Grauniad.

I rest my case M'lud.
So well known that it's a big fat outdated lie relating to a 2014 article.....and I don't buy the Guardian ! It sort of reinforces my view on propaganda and lack of impartiality!

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So well known that it's a big fat outdated lie relating to a 2014 article.....and I don't buy the Guardian ! It sort of reinforces my view on propaganda and lack of impartiality!
Apologies for using a Guardian article but it supports your comments above. Since the facts were obtained under a Freedom of Information request they are unlikely to have been dramatically twisted. Just off to nibble some lentils.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Apologies for using a Guardian article but it supports your comments above. But since the facts were obtained under a Freedom of Information request they are unlikely to have been dramatically twisted. Just off to nibble some lentils.

2014!
To counter that, how many BBC reporters and senior managers have links to the Conservative Party- Laura Kuensberg, Nick Robinson, Fiona Bruce (not to mention the DG!) et al. I am suggesting the BBC attempts to be balanced DESPITE, inevitably, employees having their own political bias. QED.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
2014!
To counter that, how many BBC reporters and senior managers have links to the Conservative Party- Laura Kuensberg, Nick Robinson, Fiona Bruce et al. I am suggesting the BBC attempts to be balanced DESPITE, inevitably, employees have their own political bias. QED.
I was agreeing with your rebuttal above my post, don’t need ‘ countering”

Reactions: PTA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts