N 121 A St Jean de Luz to Pamplona (shorter route

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the current state of this road. I plan to use it between Christmas and New Year and I'm getting conflicting information from the websites. Michelin shows it closed completely as does Mappy FR. AA shows it open, while Google could be interpreted either way. this is using the 'traffic'' feature of the maps.

I shall be pretty short of daylight at the time and while the route saves about 27 km against the 4 lane which goes further west, i don't want to get into any serious holdups or diversions. Unfortunately my satnav is not good at diversions - sometimes it claims we are 'off road' in this particular area when the N 121 A has been restored for some years now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, a bit more research seems to indicate no problem - except to the credibility of some of the map websites.

If you need what I hope is reliable information on Spanish roads have a look at:

infocar.dgt.es/etraffic/

DGT seems to be the Spanish Ministry of Transport. The website will translate partly into English and Chrome may help, but you may find knowing the Province in which you road lies helps to find it much quicker. The site shows both roadworks and weather.

Now all I need is a calm Channel crossing just after Christmas !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Strange to have a topic all to myself, but in case anyone else is wondering about the route we used it December 28th and it was absolutely fine, apart from some of the filling stations being closed.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Glad that route was OK........now someone else is sharing your topic!

Have you any information about current diesel prices in France and Spain which I see from fuel websites have fallen recently.
I will be doing Calais to Malaga in 3 weeks so will not be using your route to Pamplona.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fortunately didn't have to buy all that much diesel but Frence prices found were form 1.20 down to 1.06 euro/litre, the latter strangely right on the Bordeaux ring road. No current experience of supermarket prices - mine are from main road stations.
Cheapest I've found in Spain is a small independent site near Font de la Fugura with 1.09, while the local Repsol down near Mojacar is today at 1.18.

All these for 'cooking' diesel - something between 10 and 15 eurocents extra for the special stuff.

Part 2

I too usually rely on viamichelin. Before christmas it was showing Road Closed at the north end of the N121A for some days and road in black if you selected the traffic option (indicating a closed road), The other well known sites were equally confusing which led me to post my question.

TRENDING THREADS