Narrowish roads in the dark

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been caravanning for 8 years now, but this last weekend was the first time I found myself towing in the dark. Motorways and main roads were fine, but I found myself unusually nervous and hesitant as the approach to our site involved some distance on unlit narrowish, but still two way (just), roads. I realised that I usually rely on frequent checks in the nearside wing mirror to reassure myself that the caravan is clear of the hedge etc when I am passing other largeish vehicles on such roads, but in the dark I couldn't see anything! (It didn't help that it was p...ing with rain at the time!)

Any tips or suggestions from those who have towed regularly in such conditions?

Cheers

Paul

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
Not a hugely satisfactory answer but I had the same issue just at the end of the journey. I switched on the light by the caravan door which gave just enough illumination.

I would like to put a light strip along the length of the caravan to make it more visible at night. I am not sure of the legalities: what colour light, how bright etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

You are not alone on this one. It's difficult.

The best way is to use as many front lights on the towing vehicle as you safely can. The usual front fog lights are useful illuminating the nearside. Try and look as far ahead as possible and ensure your position doesn't drift in towards the nearside. Keep your speed down .

If it gets so bad you can't see , I'd stop somewhere safe and wait until sunrise.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
With regards to using front fog lamps, bear in mind, that it is actually an offence to use fog lamps, except in poor weather conditions. Not something that is strictly enforced I know, but none the less it is still illegal.

Steve W

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With regards to using front fog lamps, bear in mind, that it is actually an offence to use fog lamps, except in poor weather conditions. Not something that is strictly enforced I know, but none the less it is still illegal.

Steve W
Quite right Steve.

Do you remember those amber coloured "fog lights" that used to be pointed at the nearside? Maybe that would have been useful to Paul. How times change!

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi paul

I have been touring over 30years and still get a bit edgy when having to proceed as you describe it usually happens at the end of the trip when you are knackered anyway so makes it worse.

there are some things that you can do that helps a bit but only if you just have to complete the journey, far better to to find a stop over before it gets dark.

1. use every major road available to get as close to the site as possible even if it means a detour.

2. on the narrow dark sections that you must use turn on the inside van lights closing the blinds at the front. back. and offside. leaving the nearside open to alluminate the hedges.

3. drive with wheels over the white line and with full headlighs when there is NO ONCOMMING TRAFFIC.

4. dont forget your extended towing mirrors ARE wider than the van so if they get passed it is most likley the van will.

5. get some good polish to remove all the light scratches that will inevidently appear by the end of the season.

colin

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I dislike driving a long van in the dark, particularly round tight corners, even at a walking speed. At full lock, the van can be going sideways as fast as it is going forwards ..... and all you can see in your mirror is a lot of black.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At the risk of being shot down in flames,

Fact - The driver is responsible for the safety of the vehicle (and trailer) when under way on the road.

If the conditions mean you are not sure about the size or position of the outfit on the road then give your selves the benefit of doubt and stop (or don't start) until you can be sure.

Saying "I couldn't be sure where the corner was" would not stand up in court.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Prepare for the flames John.

The whole point of the thread is about NOT getting into these situations as described.

If you came to a corner in the dark on a narrow lane where you just couldn't be 100% positive about the position of the car & Van on the road then you can't just 'stop'. You'd probably have to chance it and just go anyway. Bear in mind I'm not talking about dragging the outfit through a hedge, just 'may be over the central white line' type of thing.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prepare for the flames John.

The whole point of the thread is about NOT getting into these situations as described.

If you came to a corner in the dark on a narrow lane where you just couldn't be 100% positive about the position of the car & Van on the road then you can't just 'stop'. You'd probably have to chance it and just go anyway. Bear in mind I'm not talking about dragging the outfit through a hedge, just 'may be over the central white line' type of thing.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I think you need you injectors cleaning because your flame wasn't that big!

Back to the point your second line simply echo's my point: don't get into the situation in the first place!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Agreed, if I'm driving, its my responsibility. But I was commenting on my dislikes, not the number of times I've hit anything.

What do you do when you drive down a long access road with a row of cars behind you ...... when you come to the entrance to the multi-storey car park and see a sign saying "MAX HEADROOM 6ft 6in. I well remember the driver of a hi-top Transit reversing all the way back down the access road, upsetting a lot of people in the process. This was at Olympia in London. ;-) But I've met similar in Swansea. 6ft head room, and I was driving a Land Rover. Will it? Won't it? I chickened out.

But back to my problem, which concerned one particular back lane, exiting into a narrowish road, with cars parked opposite. Yes, I usually had time to get out and check how much space I had ....... but I was thinking about fitting a spot lamp so I could see my rear tyres from the cab. I decided it was easier to sell the van.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I think you need you injectors cleaning because your flame wasn't that big!

Back to the point your second line simply echo's my point: don't get into the situation in the first place!
ran out of petrol. haha

Yes, you're right John

G

There is a wide range of 12volt Flexible LED strip lights that are often used by car customisers.

They come in various colours -white, blue, orange, green and red and in various lenths.

They are also water proof in a clear flexi rubber coating.

I've connected one coiled up inside the door light as the bulb kept blowing and it gives a very good light and we have another strip fixed with double sided water proof tape under the door that illuminates the steps.

LED trips could be fitted inside side windows if you waned light at the caravan side.

Ebay has a number of sellers offering a variety of inexpensive 12 volt options that can be adapted for caravan use. All our caravan lighting is LED now, interior and exterior.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts