NC 500 problems

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see in some of todays papers that the people who live on or near the NC 500 are up in arms about the amount of traffic on the NC500, plus the problems caused by caravans and motorised campers and motor homes. Wild camping isn't legal using motorised vehicles, and it seems some don't know the basics of cleaning up your camping area anyway. Drivers who don't understand how to navigate single track roads etc. it goes on. It is reported that Calmac have stoped caravans, campers and motorhomes from joining standby queues as they are an inefficient use of space on the ships. Priority being given to cars which have net zero accommodation.

I guess that it is only to be expected given the resources poured into promoting NC 500. I used to receive their newsletter and talk about jumping on the bandwagon, I would have loved to get into the supercar at Inverness and stay at the luxury hotels en route, but would rather than spend money on a three night trip I could probably have had a round the world cruise; not that I am in to cursing any longer. The NC 500 is even promoted again in todays Times. It's quite useful having a paper that promotes the top drives, top walks, top pubs etc. I then know when/where to avoid in peak times or at any other times perhaps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I see in some of todays papers that the people who live on or near the NC 500 are up in arms about the amount of traffic on the NC500, plus the problems caused by caravans and motorised campers and motor homes. Wild camping isn't legal using motorised vehicles, and it seems some don't know the basics of cleaning up your camping area anyway. Drivers who don't understand how to navigate single track roads etc. it goes on. It is reported that Calmac have stoped caravans, campers and motorhomes from joining standby queues as they are an inefficient use of space on the ships. Priority being given to cars which have net zero accommodation.

I guess that it is only to be expected given the resources poured into promoting NC 500. I used to receive their newsletter and talk about jumping on the bandwagon, I would have loved to get into the supercar at Inverness and stay at the luxury hotels en route, but would rather than spend money on a three night trip I could probably have had a round the world cruise; not that I am in to cursing any longer. The NC 500 is even promoted again in todays Times. It's quite useful having a paper that promotes the top drives, top walks, top pubs etc. I then know when/where to avoid in peak times or at any other times perhaps.
Today’s DT says the same . The NC 500 or Scotland’s Route 66 brings £22 million revenue to the Highlands.
Ironically this “Route” is nothing new. I first did it by choice in 1974 with a tent. The problem is the chavs who think you can wild camp and leave human excreta under a bush or just below the sand🤬. Anyone with half a brain will know that even six weeks away will barely scratch the NC500 today. Sadly these chavs have no idea what they are missing other than spoiling the experience for the die hard s who understand. Sutherland alone cannot be explored in six weeks never mind the whole trip as boasted. I suspect next year as the caravan prices crash and overseas holidays recommence peace on the Highland routes will be restored 👏👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Today’s DT says the same . The NC 500 or Scotland’s Route 66 brings £22 million revenue to the Highlands.
Ironically this “Route” is nothing new. I first did it by choice in 1974 with a tent. The problem is the chavs who think you can wild camp and leave human excreta under a bush or just below the sand🤬. Anyone with half a brain will know that even six weeks away will barely scratch the NC500 today. Sadly these chavs have no idea what they are missing other than spoiling the experience for the die hard s who understand. Sutherland alone cannot be explored in six weeks never mind the whole trip as boasted. I suspect next year as the caravan prices crash and overseas holidays recommence peace on the Highland routes will be restored 👏👏
Let’s hope so.

PS still into cursing, but not cruising.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The NC500 is now known to us in the Highlands as the WC500.

I've just been on a Calmac ferry from Skye to Lewis and back with the caravan. Advice was to get accomodation first, i.e. camp site then book ferry although in the end no one checked. Not sure if anyone just turned up without pre-booking but everyone got on and it wasn't full.

Mostly motorhomes touring.

Great sailing outwards with a few dolphins/porpoise in sight. Return journey even better...like a mill pond and wonderful sky.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The number of wild campers on NC500 who leave a mess are probably a minority - part of the issue is the number of motorhomes hired in Edinburgh/Glasgow where they stock up with food and buy fuel but contribute very little to businesses along the NC500 - and then drive at 30mph admiring the scenery, oblivious of the queue behind them - and park longways in car parks taking up 4 or more spaces making it difficult for car-based visitors to park.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
The wife and i are just back from the NC500 we took the tent to be honest it was not that busy and we didn't book anything in advance but got into a site every night without an issue.

Yes i agree it is the minority that spoils it. We did notice on a few stops the people unfortunately leave a mess and human mess .

One local we spoke to has stopped motor homes and confronted them about using the waterfront to empty their waste cassette seemingly this was not young inexperienced motorhomers either ,people really should be more respectful.

But it was an amazing trip.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The number of wild campers on NC500 who leave a mess are probably a minority - part of the issue is the number of motorhomes hired in Edinburgh/Glasgow where they stock up with food and buy fuel but contribute very little to businesses along the NC500 - and then drive at 30mph admiring the scenery, oblivious of the queue behind them - and park longways in car parks taking up 4 or more spaces making it difficult for car-based visitors to park.

Perhaps we should be following the French acceptance of motorhomes, even though I think it it favours motorhomes above caravaners and tenters. We seem to have a two faced approach. Please come and see what we have to offer (and spend your money), and, those damm visitors.

John

Reactions: Brasso530
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife was in Glencoe this week quite early in the morning and really was surprised at the number of motorhomes and campers both in the car parks and just parked up along the road. She felt that a lot had been overnighting. But the same was when she went to Mallaig and even there leisure vehicles were more noticeable than when she was last there in summer 2019. Not a scientific view though.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
While its probably true that it is a minority of people who are irresponsible and disrespectful of our environment this minority is increasing in size year on year, while the number of those affected by this behaviour remains much the same. This means the pain felt by residents is increasing.

I live just a few minutes drive from some of the most wonderful scenery in the UK (ok I'm biased). However, over the last few years we no longer go to these places for much of the year because they are overrun by 'tick box tourists'. From the comments we've had from some of them they don't even know what they're looking at. A good many don't care where they park and some have little idea on how to drive on our single track roads. Our local postie takes nearly twice as long to do his round these days as compared with perhaps 5 years ago.

We too have had motorhomers emptying toilet cassettes onto croft land and even off the jetty into the sea.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can well understand the problem. We lived on Dartmoor some years ago when the kids were entering their teens. Even back then we would avoid the normal tourist spots either on the Moor or by the coast. If we wanted to swim there was the river just in front of our cottage or there were swimming spots out on the Moor. Similarly when we lived in the Lakes in the mid 90s we knew which spots to avoid. In both areas it was nor uncommon to come across oncoming cars in narrow lanes and the look of terror on the other drivers face told us immediately that we would be reversing despite the oncoming car not being far from a wider bit that they had just passed but failed to notice . And this was all before the dreaded Staycation!!!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The wife and i are just back from the NC500 we took the tent to be honest it was not that busy and we didn't book anything in advance but got into a site every night without an issue.

Yes i agree it is the minority that spoils it. We did notice on a few stops the people unfortunately leave a mess and human mess .

One local we spoke to has stopped motor homes and confronted them about using the waterfront to empty their waste cassette seemingly this was not young inexperienced motorhomers either ,people really should be more respectful.

But it was an amazing trip.
I hope you enjoyed your trip it one thing i haven"t done yet :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did he tell you about the MIDGES ?
My wife has arrived back today from Fort William. First thing she did was to get a cardigan out as it was relatively cool here compared to Fort William and area. I asked about midges and despite the Smidge forecast during the week showing 4-5 they hadn’t had any problems even when in country areas. Could this thing about midges be a ploy to keep gullible English away?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
We were all good the whole time except the night we spent in Applecross, it was horrendous there.We used smidge, never got bitten they were just annoying.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that a minority of idiots have ruined the reputation of caravanners and more particularly motorhomers. They have not understood how to use of single track roads camped where they like and left a mess behind. The route is currently badly overcrowded and I hate to say it but best avoided at the moment, but if you do wish to use it make sure you have bookings for each night and obey the protocols for the roads.
Calmac have stopped stand by parking for caravans and motorhomes as they were thought to be gaining an advantage by parking in the waiting lanes overnight when cars were not able to do this. It is a capacity problem caused by several of their old wrecks being out of action as a result of the failure to keep the fleet up dated. Only go to the isles if you have a booking at the moment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Calmac have stopped stand by parking for caravans and motorhomes as they were thought to be gaining an advantage by parking in the waiting lanes overnight when cars were not able to do this. It is a capacity problem caused by several of their old wrecks being out of action as a result of the failure to keep the fleet up dated. Only go to the isles if you have a booking at the moment.
The excuse was about prioritising people who live on the island over tourists who bring in the income and nothing about old wrecks? LOL!

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate what is being said but banning motorhomes from the stand by queue overnight makes no difference as to who gets on as the locals have to join in with the others.
I know the age is not shown as a reason but part of the problem is an abject failure to replace older vessels which has resulted in breakdowns reducing the capacity below what is required, even if they were all working they have not enough capacity on some routes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts