Nearly quit caravanning.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Boff said:
Buckman said:
Boff said:
I apologise in advance, but I am going to play Devils advocate here.
In what way does a translucent roof make a caravan not fit for purpose? Did the manufacturer or the retailer make any claim that the roof was opaque? Is it a good situation no it’s a carp situation but legally have you a claim if the other side chose to fight it? I’m not sure. But I would advise getting some legal advice before taking any irrevocable and expensive steps.

It is a defect and known to Swift due to the number of complaints received. As you are woken up early in the morning due to the red glow I would think that the caravan may not be fit for purpose as you cannot get a good nights sleep in it? If it was fit for purpose then why have Swift got a fix for the problem?

You will notice that I openned my post with the statement that I was playing Devils advocate and I closed it by saying, get advice. I am not in anyway claiming that a translucent roof is a desirable attribute, I wouldn’t want one. But it might not constitute not fit for purpose legally. If the picture posted by thingy that was deleted :( also showed light leaking arround the blinds covering the skylights so people accept that roof isn’t neccesarily light tight .

It is good to hear that the manufacturer and the dealer are willing to take remmedial action. Less good that the problem was allowed to occur in the first place but unfortunately not surprising.

Boff,
Whilst "fit for purpose" is a criteria, it is not the only one, and the CRA also looks at design, material and manufacturing faults, which by the manufacturers own admission the translucency of the roof is a fault.

If the case were brought against the seller through the CRA and the small claims procedure, the evidence would have the test of "what a reasonable person" would expect", and I suspect that no reasonable person would expect to find a translucent ceiling in a caravan.

In my view the seller should be very worried. because it is blatantly clear (and confirmed by the manufacturer) the goods are faulty. Unless the fault was described to the customer, and the customer accepted the fault and it was part of the contract of sale, then the seller is in breach of their inailiable duty under the CRA.

If the seller knew the caravan was faulty, and they failed to tell the potential customer, then they have commited fraud.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For what possible reason have the pictures been deleted. It wasnt done by me and if it was a moderator, why no explanantion as to a reason?
Further, what possible wrong could there be in depicting an issue that Swift themselves accept.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I accept there is an element of doubt about the ability to claim for this as it being effective but would agree with the Prof that given Swift's admission that there was a problem success in a court action is almost certain. Not sure what you would get however in a small claims court so if you are happy with the remedy it is probably not worthwhile for many to take it further.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
For what possible reason have the pictures been deleted. It wasnt done by me and if it was a moderator, why no explanantion as to a reason?
Further, what possible wrong could there be in depicting an issue that Swift themselves accept.

I'm as surprised as you are Thingy.
I didn't see any problem with the pictures.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
One would assume then that its PCv themselves. They were quite happy to advertise these caravans back in 2015, highlighting them as the best things since sliced bread. Wouldnt you think there would be enough integrity to allow it to be highlighted when there is a problem. I suspect Swift maybe behind getting these photographs removed. I would at least expected the culprit to have the integrity to say why this has been done.

Not to worry, Im putting the finishing touches to a website showing this problem. I am determined they are not going to get away with this, or the awful customer service I have received.

Assuming in advance that this is going to get me banned, I will say goodbye to you all. Thanks for all the fun and information over the years, but this sort of high handedness is not right. What the hell happened to free speech?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
One would assume then that its PCv themselves. They were quite happy to advertise these caravans back in 2015, highlighting them as the best things since sliced bread. Wouldnt you think there would be enough integrity to allow it to be highlighted when there is a problem. I suspect Swift maybe behind getting these photographs removed. I would at least expected the culprit to have the integrity to say why this has been done.

Not to worry, Im putting the finishing touches to a website showing this problem. I am determined they are not going to get away with this, or the awful customer service I have received.

Assuming in advance that this is going to get me banned, I will say goodbye to you all. Thanks for all the fun and information over the years, but this sort of high handedness is not right. What the hell happened to free speech?

Not by me you're not

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:

I've just checked on my laptop (instead of my phone which I was using yesterday) and in fact the photographs that you posted haven't been deleted, moved or otherwise interfered with Thingy.
If you go back to your original post your pictures are still there.
I'm not sure whether or not some unknown technical issue had temporarily hidden the pictures or if they were there all the time, but they are there now.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, apologies to whomever I have been referring to as a penpushing pipsqueak all weekend. It looks as if either Bill Gates or the Moonies maybe the culprit.
When I flush all cookies and login in, I see the pictures, if I go to the last post and then return, they have gone. I don't profess to understand this. I have used three different browsers, my PC, Laptop and mobile, and its doing it on all three. Its not the image hosting, as I have other pictures on here hosted there, and they all display fine. Besides, if it was that, the pics would just show as a broken lin. The text disappears too.

And to think I nearly banned myself to save the mods the trouble...……….. :cheer:

Ahah, its only doing it when I use the page number boxes, if I return to the sub forum and attack the post from there, I see them.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew that Damian or myself hadn't deleted anything (because as mods we can still see deletions, but with a grey background) so I wondered what had happened to them.
It looks as though it's a software glitch of some sort.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
Thingy said:

I've just checked on my laptop (instead of my phone which I was using yesterday) and in fact the photographs that you posted haven't been deleted, moved or otherwise interfered with Thingy.
If you go back to your original post your pictures are still there.
I'm not sure whether or not some unknown technical issue had temporarily hidden the pictures or if they were there all the time, but they are there now.

Just checked the pictures are nowhere to be seen?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
Ahah, its only doing it when I use the page number boxes, if I return to the sub forum and attack the post from there, I see them.

Same here... Click the post from the General, your post + pics is there. Click the page numbers and it is not displayed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Thingy said:

Same here... Click the post from the General, your post + pics is there. Click the page numbers and it is not displayed.

Just did that and now the pictures are visible. Seems a software glitch by PCM?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know for sure but when the page numbers are clicked the thread starts on the first reply not the O.P.
The entire first post is missing which would suggest that the server which handles the pages can't deal with large data inputs which come with photos.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
I don't know for sure but when the page numbers are clicked the thread starts on the first reply not the O.P.
The entire first post is missing which would suggest that the server which handles the pages can't deal with large data inputs which come with photos.

I have noticed this effect on several occasions and I thought I was going daft (we've known that for a long time, I hear many of you say :unsure: ) It makes referring back to the start of thread quite perplexing.

I wonder if the new owners have actually dabbled with the programme, and not told us?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I know its an old thread, but a quick update.

We have used the caravan for the first time since the "wrap" was applied. Although I still think its a cheap and poor fix, lets call it what it really is, a bodge job, the translucency problem has been erradicated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts