NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 14-19 October 2014

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Might go for the day, but will only be able to go on the Saturday or Sunday when it will be very busy.
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........DFDS are offering a 25% discount on their bookings made with the Caravan Club for their Dover crossings to France to coincide with the show.
Bookings can be made from October 14th to 31st only.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
We went on Tuesday, it's about 90 miles from home, it took us three and a half hours!! Road works, general congestion.

Walked for ever looking at caravan layouts mostly, had an expensive cuppa :angry: . Left at 5.30, not having seen everything. Isn't it annoying when you get home and read the brochure and see what you've missed? Never got to see the cheese stall at all ;)

Return trip only took three hours :angry:

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Red_Mick said:
We went on Tuesday, it's about 90 miles from home, it took us three and a half hours!! Road works, general congestion.

Walked for ever looking at caravan layouts mostly, had an expensive cuppa :angry: . Left at 5.30, not having seen everything. Isn't it annoying when you get home and read the brochure and see what you've missed? Never got to see the cheese stall at all ;)

Probably cheaper to have a day out at your local cheese shop :lol:

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
[.... Never got to see the cheese stall at all ;)

Probably cheaper to have a day out at your local cheese shop :lol:[/quote]

mmmmm Hartington, or should we go to Hawes?? Decisions decisions.. :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've only been to a caravanning show once in the last 25 years - and that was only to check they weren't using my newly ordered model as a demonstrator (it was an unusual layout) - they're far too busy and congested to make sensible buying decisions and "show discounts", or better, can easily be negotiated afterwards.

As a petrolhead, I used to go to the Motor Show every year - to drool and soak up new ideas, not to buy!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Used to go as you could see all the vans under one roof, if we were buying it was always whittled down to a couple.
Now days with so much online stuff with virtual views etc you basically know what you want so don't have the need to go, we have dealt with the same dealer the last 3 times so just ring him up after a bit of online searching to get the best deal.
Accessories are the same price online if not cheaper and all now have very good websites.
The last time we were there people were rude and just pushed past you whist you were waiting to enter a van which was full of people anyway. So you never had the chance to explore the van properly.
The salesman were more interested in making sales so didn't really want to answer questions.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
I've only been to a caravanning show once in the last 25 years - they're far too busy and congested to make sensible buying decisions and "show discounts", or better, can easily be negotiated afterwards.

An interesting assertion, but I am genuinely intrigued how you can know that, without actually going? Even then surely it would require seriously negotiating with all the supplying dealers to be confident there were not better deals than outside?

No misunderstanding with them being far too crowded. Still we go, its nice to see what is being made, whether of direct interest or not.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I find the last 3 comments very interesting,,,we bought our very first caravan just a few weeks ago and we went to the show out of interest and to see the side stalls for bits and get any helpful advice going.
It wasn't at all overcrowded,,easy to get around and to get into vans for a look,,the sales guys and gals couldn't do enough for us,,,even bringing us a cuppa at one stand.
We did a lot of chatting and asking questions and learnt a heck of a lot so we're very glad we went,,,and as it happens there wasn't another van that we'd have preferred to have bought., taking into consideration the criteria that led us to buying the one we now have.
I don't think I'd go every year but will certainly go again,,,if only for the cuppas and chat.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
JTQ said:
RogerL said:
I've only been to a caravanning show once in the last 25 years - they're far too busy and congested to make sensible buying decisions and "show discounts", or better, can easily be negotiated afterwards.

An interesting assertion, but I am genuinely intrigued how you can know that, without actually going? Even then surely it would require seriously negotiating with all the supplying dealers to be confident there were not better deals than outside?

No misunderstanding with them being far too crowded. Still we go, its nice to see what is being made, whether of direct interest or not.

Dealers that display at shows aren't generally coy about revealing show discounts to any customer seriously interested in buying - I start from there and negotiate the price down further, while ensuring I get a fair p/x valuation - one or two other caravanners have negotiated better discounts than me.

It's theoretically possible that a dealer based 300 miles away may offer me a better deal at a show than dealers in my area but I'd never buy at distance, whatever the price.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi we went on Saturday and it was very busy, although we expected as much. Went in and out of a few vans but hadn't gone to buy. Tried a bit of free cheese but didn't purchse. Did buy a corelle dish to go in the oven and microwave. Wish I had bought a couple of the dinner sets for home ( already have one in the van) as they were a good price. Didn't buy an expensive cuppa as we have been before and so took a picnic. Rather liked the Challenger SE vans. Wonder if Coachman have lost their way (see post in buyers guide)
mel

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mel we went yesterday and were surprised at how not busy it was initially (left at 3pm). Went up specifically to get a good deal on the new Vango Varkala 420 and did manage to get one with free electric pump with £100 off list price, should be delivered this Thurs in time to go away Friday. Of course, that then meant we needed a new grey carpet to go inside lol.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Went to the show on Saturday. Seamed a lot more motorhome than caravans this year. But still a great show.
Lots of side stands selling everything you could think of. Still like the idea of blow up awnings & was great to watch all the demonstrations.

However, To me the big disappointment was DFDS deciding not to have their own stand selling sailings to all with a show discount, instead choosing only to offer a discount to members of the caravan club.
Always book two crossings a year with them but they have lost my bookings this time around.
Been a member of that club and wouldn't go back.

Just have to wait till P&O to release their dates.
Cheers
John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
soldlisa04 said:
Hi Mel we went yesterday and were surprised at how not busy it was initially (left at 3pm). Went up specifically to get a good deal on the new Vango Varkala 420 and did manage to get one with free electric pump with £100 off list price, should be delivered this Thurs in time to go away Friday. Of course, that then meant we needed a new grey carpet to go inside lol.

How many awnings do you have now :cheer:
Good deal though. Well done B)
Mel

TRENDING THREADS