I am a complete novice. We have a Lunar Clubman CK, we have a problem with the battery not charging while driving along, however, I think it is something that I am doing wrong. I don't switch anything at all on in the caravan while we are towing. Should I be switching something to make the battery charge while towing? We have this lovely caravan but I don't know what to do, the dealer we bought it from didn't help at all. Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you bought it from Highbridge as you said you visited in your other post, I am surprised they haven't provided a full demonstration. But to answer your question. No, you don’t need to do anything. Turn everything off in the van by isolating it. My 2015 Clubman had a panel above the door with a main switch on it, But, more important is a switch on the consumer unit under the bench and at the top left.

BB318A58-BA6E-4652-A8AF-E2D4B4826446.jpeg

If you don't have a handbook, look here.

Make sure that the socket on your car is producing power on the appropriate pins when the engine is running. Or connect the caravan, put a multimeter on the battery, and start the car, there should be a rise in voltage. If not, suspect the wiring of the car.

John

If you bought it from Highbridge as you said you visited in your other post, I am surprised they haven't provided a full demonstration. But to answer your question. No, you don’t need to do anything. Turn everything off in the van by isolating it. My 2015 Clubman had a panel above the door with a main switch on it, But, more important is a switch on the consumer unit under the bench and at the top left.

View attachment 4279

If you don't have a handbook, look here.

Make sure that the socket on your car is producing power on the appropriate pins when the engine is running. Or connect the caravan, put a multimeter on the battery, and start the car, there should be a rise in voltage. If not, suspect the wiring of the car.

John
Thank you very I will try the multimeter.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
How old is the caravan as the consumer unit may not be in older models than Jcloughie's.
I would agree that the cars plug is the most likely culprit. Did you ask for the caravan wiring when getting the tow bar?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A small 12v solar panel placed in a window facing the sun could trickle charge your leisure battery.
Larger solar panels require a controller (a.k.a. a regulator)
A small inexpensive panel can be used without a controller 'for low current maintenance charging can be done safely without a charge controller as long as the solar panel output is <1% of the battery capacity. For example, if you have a 12V, 100Ah battery, this could be safely trickle-charged with a panel capable of supplying up to 1A at 13.4V.'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts