Never had a caravan before ...

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
... and looking for some advice!

I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a caravan. We have been looking at the Swift Charisma 570. My biggest concern is learning to drive towing a caravan. (We have a Honda Accord 2.2D)

There is a 1.5 day course ran locally on caravanning which should help, but I am not too sure if the caravan will be too long for me to handle. What is everyone's experience with learning to drive with a caravan?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Simon, and welcome to a pastime that we all enjoy. You are starting off well.

Firstly, yes go for the course, it will help no end and give you confidence on the road.

Secondly, it's good to be worried. It will keep you sharp and alert until you get accustomed to towing. Don't get too worried though, it won't take long before you are towing like an old hand.

We have all gone through the learning curve, some still are (myself included) but you have come to the right place. This forum can answer most of your questions (feel free to ask) and is a great way to get to know your fellow caravaner's.

The Swift Charisma is a fine caravan and if the reports are accurate, so too is your car.

There is a lot to learn, but you don't have to find it all out straight away, however it can be fun while doing so.

Let me deal with your first fear. The longer the caravan the easier it is to control, particularly when in reverse, sounds daft but it's true.

Any more questions, please ask and don't forget there is an open invite to the Easter meet, advertised in "Events, rallies and owners' clubs" .

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
Hiya Simon, and welcome to a pastime that we all enjoy. You are starting off well.

Firstly, yes go for the course, it will help no end and give you confidence on the road.

Secondly, it's good to be worried. It will keep you sharp and alert until you get accustomed to towing. Don't get too worried though, it won't take long before you are towing like an old hand.

We have all gone through the learning curve, some still are (myself included) but you have come to the right place. This forum can answer most of your questions (feel free to ask) and is a great way to get to know your fellow caravaner's.

The Swift Charisma is a fine caravan and if the reports are accurate, so too is your car.

There is a lot to learn, but you don't have to find it all out straight away, however it can be fun while doing so.

Let me deal with your first fear. The longer the caravan the easier it is to control, particularly when in reverse, sounds daft but it's true.

Any more questions, please ask and don't forget there is an open invite to the Easter meet, advertised in "Events, rallies and owners' clubs" .
Thanks for getting back to me, that fills me with more confidence, I guess we all have to learn somewhere.

Cheers!!

(And its nice to see such a friendly forum too!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts