Never say never.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we have decided, for the moment at least, to suspend our foreign travels.In the last few years we've traveled extensively throughout Italy, France, Belgium and Spain. Our dog is on her second passport. We've played in Alpine snow and swum in the Med, visited all the battlefields and many a Chateau. Enjoyed French markets and hated Italian roads. But enough is enough. We're only in our mid 60s but are a bit fed up with the distances, the ferries, the costs etc. We like to lunch out but a couple wont get any change out of 40 euros for a couple of beers and 2 very ordinary plats.With the pound down thanks to the bonkers decision to leave EU most things have become expensive especially food and fuel. We still love the different cultures, geography and weather (not always though). Any way, we have decided to change our 10 week foreign trip to a staycation. Cotswolds up to Lincoln and York. So many good sites, good roads, good pubs/grub. Scotland next year and then Lake district and down to North Wales. Maybe one day we'll go back across but not soon.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We thought exactly the same, We shall miss our French and Dutch friends that we meet up with in Vermenton, in the Chablis area, but are aiming for the Northumberland area, and will try to get into The Castleton c and MC site , one day. See you around somewhere Homer.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm very happy to know that I'm in the Bonkers bracket by voting to leave the EU, ……. for get about the Cotswolds especially in Moreton in marsh, a main course will cost you £18.00, happy hols when you come back over here,, :woohoo:

Moderator Edit
Personal comment removed (Parksy)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Questions surrounding the decision to leave the EU are outside the remit of this caravan forum.
Please address observations regarding this decision to a more appropriate website because such comments will be removed from this forum.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Parky, get you facts straight , I never anything about leaving the EU , I responded to his post, he thinks it is that brilliant in the EU stay there ,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
Parky, get you facts straight , I never anything about leaving the EU , I responded to his post, he thinks it is that brilliant in the EU stay there ,

Camel re read the post. He likes European touring which in most peoples book is not the EU which is a political- commercial entity.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Where has this talk of the UK leaving the European Union come from?

New one on me, or have I missed something in the news?

:huh:

TIC

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Camel, you should try The Redesdale Arms Main course under £10. Or The Swan, Gammon Steak and trimmings £11.95 the you get a 10% discount for being a club member. Cheaper than a Plate de jour.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
Camel
Please get your facts right before you take to your keyboard to inform me where I'm getting it all wrong!
One poster implied that he regards the decision to leave the EU as quote: 'bonkers'
You were stung into a reply which, apart from containing a personal attack which I edited in order to remove it whilst kindly and considerately leaving the remainder of your reply visible (when I could simply have deleted it entirely without comment), implied that you voted with the majority.

I decided to leave both comments on the message board in the interests of fairness, but to intervene to ensure compliance with forum T&Cs.

My moderator comment (my own moderator comments are always in green, Damian's are in red) which I added to your post is intended for you to read and hopefully to learn from.

The moderator post that I added afterwards is intended for general information, not aimed at any individual, but to forestall a potential debate about the perceived rights and wrongs of the result of the EU referendum.
This will save both Damian and myself time in the long run, and it will save hurt feelings when geninely expressed concerns from both sides of the fence are taken down by us.

Practial Caravan Forum is a friendly and inclusive non-political internet resource, and the efforts of all forum members to keep our forum that way is greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Practial Caravan Forum is a friendly and inclusive non-political internet resource, and the efforts of all forum members to keep our forum that way is greatly appreciated.

As are the efforts of the moderators.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH
If you are keen on coming to the Castleton area there is another well thought about caravan site just outside the village of Hope (next village to Castleton) called Laneside caravan park. Worth a try if you can't get in the caravan club site. Happy touring all!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, as ever, each to their own. We have been touring or long staying in Europe for the last 16 years at least and our combined age is close to 160. We have no intention of changing our routine of Spring in Spain Autumn in France until forced to do so by medical and'or insurance reasons. After that will be time to go more places in UK assuming the one of us still driving can continue to do so.
We like to eat out occasionally too but recent experience in UK has been bad, particularly with beer around £4/pint and nasty wine £10 a bottle.
We had to return from Spain this year much earlier than usual and did not really enjoy March and April weather not to mention the domestic heating bills No spring cold flu asthma for 16 years.
Don't get me wrong. This is a great country and I'm proud to be a Brit. My wife also has a UK passport and has been here 30 years.. I have seen much of UK in 50 years of caravanning. So I think the OP may be giving up a little too easily - perhaps some change of routine, time of year, areas to go might mitigate some of the worries ?

Since I'm not allowed to talk about Brexit generally I may perhaps just say i'm a little worried about any possible change in the rules about how much wine you will be able to bring back duty free, but what they may this will not stop me going.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RayS, keep at it and hopefully in another 15 year I hopefully will be doing the same , just got to get the first 5 years of retirement sorting out the house.
Good for you and Mrs Ray s.
Hutch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well we were looking forward to our first caravan trip into Europe for five years. Due to go in four days time, but instead now looking for site near Glenfield Leics so I can visit hospitalised father, whose prime point of discussion this afternoon was could I sort out his cars MOT. Hadn’t the heart to break the news to him that his driving days may well be at an end. Eh oh shall see how Red Pennant deal with the cancellation.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Off topic,, How about telling "Dad" that they cannot MOT the car, it needs new tyres etc. Just good luck.

He may be 96 but the car is checked by him every couple of weeks, regularly serviced and a little gem. His heart may be faltering but the brains still sharp. I couldn’t get away with that one. But nice try thanks and back to topic. Out

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
OC, There's a site called Hill Top at Thrussington which is north of Leicester just off the A46 and will take you about fifteen minutes to get to Glenfield, also two pubs in the village, :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
OC, There's a site called Hill Top at Thrussington which is north of Leicester just off the A46 and will take you about fifteen minutes to get to Glenfield, also two pubs in the village, :)

Camel
Thanks I suspect that the van will be shortly heading to this area for an indeterminate period. I will check the site out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Planned next week to lower Lode , near Teweksbury campsite, back of the pub, long narrow lane. Looks good. But now SWMBO has suddenly decided tonight, maybe Cornwall, as She is a lovely, mixed county girl. Dad from Hale , Mum From Newcastle. , I don't get a look in çoming from Aberdeen.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
But now SWMBO has suddenly decided tonight, maybe Cornwall, as She is a lovely, mixed county girl. Dad from Hale

It will be the old Doombar for you then my son. We are down there from 28th via Exeter for three days.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Planned next week to lower Lode , near Teweksbury campsite, back of the pub, long narrow lane. Looks good. But now SWMBO has suddenly decided tonight, maybe Cornwall, as She is a lovely, mixed county girl. Dad from Hale , Mum From Newcastle. , I don't get a look in çoming from Aberdeen.
We have used that site previously however prefer the camping area offered by Lower Lode as that is £12 a night right on the river bank however if a Bank weekend give it a miss.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Buckman, I have read that it get really busy, if there is a festival on. It's all changed again and we are off to The Turbles, near Welland for 10 nights.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Straight down that main road and off to the left is a pub called the Farmers Arms. Excellent food and we go there most Saturdays for lunch at reasonable prices. See http://www.farmersarmsbirtsmorton.co.uk/page13.html Another very nice pub is the Wyche Inn at the top of the Malvern Hills. http://www.thewycheinn.co.uk/

TRENDING THREADS