New Bailey Pursuit

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I was looking at the new Pursuit, a very nice van but with a seemingly bad and completely avoidable design flaw.

When the front lounge is made up into a bed the pull-out slats are too low. So the cushions in the middle are about 3cm lower than those set on the seats. I'm not sure my back could take such a dip!

Anyone think of a temporary solution? A roll up mattress topper I guess, but what a faff! The obvious one is for Bailey to make the back rest cushions an inch thicker.

One more demonstration that sometimes designers can't get even the very basics of caravan design right.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the bed is not suitable as it is then a decent mattress topper is probably the only solution. I am not sure how much the cushions on the Bailey can be rearranged but you could try that first. Personally if you do not like the bed then I would look at another make.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I suspected that cushion arrangement was the answer but had no way of checking.

Non level beds is not something Bailey would make such a big error on.

Good answer Marbles.

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Well sadly they have.

Marbles idea would be great except there aren't any leg supports on the cushions in the new Bailey Pursuit. The seat base cushions are completely flat. I can only think that Dr ****-up has paid a visit!

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Don't know what you are looking at but the 430-4 platinum i'm looking at buying has leg supports.

49d7bd4f0923f9ff2d47571e96d6a2df_zpsn32oyoqx.jpg

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
You're looking at the old model Pursuit, we already own a 560/5. There is no problem with it, the front bed is extremely comfortable.

The new model is quite different. It has slats which pull out of the centre. They're 3cm too low. There are no knee bolsters to fill in. I think there needs to be. See this video, you'll see what I mean...

https://youtu.be/tpOi1ebulNM

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I can see what your saying about them flat cushions but the platinum model i looking at has the rolled front leg booster.this is a chipping sodbury caravan dealer special.i did try the base model seats and they come pretty level on the 530 model ????

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If you are trying to match the knee roll height with the flat height then, of course, yes there will be a difference. In this case do what everybody else does and position the knee roll edge against the outside of the van (head and feet). ;)

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Again, the Platinum model you are looking at is a Mk1 Pursuit.

The Mk2 Pursuit has a completely different set of cushions, now made by Ozio. The are entirely flat, they do not have a knee roll. Plus the Mk2 a completely different design of bed base, with cheap pine slats which pull out from under the centre cupboard as opposed to the Mk1's high quality sprung beech slats which slide out in a frame from the O/S bed box.

Consequently swapping the knee roll position will make not the slightest difference. There is no comparison or similarity between the Mk1 and the Mk2.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Not going to argue mate but it's the mk2 platinum I'm looking at and it has leg rolls on cushions. That why I'm ordering one. Look at images on chipping sodbury caravans. I know the standard model are flat . Just been in white arches at Rushden checked there 530 and cushions matched up fine when I tried.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
ahawley said:
See what I mean?

jkRQEa

I have seen this complaint on another forum and can see the problem from the picture. It certainly looks wrong and unless the dealer can demonstrate a workable solution I would look elsewhere.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Spoke with white arches caravans this afternoon and they said Bailey were aware of the problem and all models now are being delivered with thicker back cushions.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had not noticed it before but if you look at the photo of the front bed in the review of the Pursuit 560-5 in the reviews section you can see the problem.

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
We have taken delivery and I can assure everyone that the front bed is an absolute disaster. On top of the idiotic height difference (and which I've had to buy a 40mm thick piece of foam to fill in the gap, there's also a width issue.

I have measured the gap between the bases at the front of the van (i.e. when the bed is retracted) and also at its furthest reach when extended. Unfortunately the gap between the near side and off side bases is around 15mm wider at its furthest reach.

Consequently the lead bed slat has around 15mm of lateral play in the tracks when extended and this is beyond design tolerance, the supporting edge of the lead slat only having a couple of mm to take the load and the plastic track not being strong enough to bear it. Result; collapse the first night we slept in it, destroying the front of the bed box. The fact that this was on our honeymoon and "combat" had not even commenced made things doubly annoying. Although it did result in a massive fit of giggles.

I don't think it's possible to upload photos (of the smashed bed base, not the combat!) on this forum which is a shame.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
ahawley said:
We have taken delivery and I can assure everyone that the front bed is an absolute disaster. On top of the idiotic height difference (and which I've had to buy a 40mm thick piece of foam to fill in the gap, there's also a width issue.

I have measured the gap between the bases at the front of the van (i.e. when the bed is retracted) and also at its furthest reach when extended. Unfortunately the gap between the near side and off side bases is around 15mm wider at its furthest reach.

Consequently the lead bed slat has around 15mm of lateral play in the tracks when extended and this is beyond design tolerance, the supporting edge of the lead slat only having a couple of mm to take the load and the plastic track not being strong enough to bear it. Result; collapse the first night we slept in it, destroying the front of the bed box. The fact that this was on our honeymoon and "combat" had not even commenced made things doubly annoying. Although it did result in a massive fit of giggles.

I don't think it's possible to upload photos (of the smashed bed base, not the combat!) on this forum which is a shame.

First thing that came to my mind was 'Sumo Wrestlers'. Glad you can laugh at the incompetence of caravan assemblers making basic errors.

Hope you get it sorted to recommence battle :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clearly Bailey and their Dealers know they have a problem supported by their redesign. Hopefully they will remedy your problem without fuss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts