New bailey senator calafornia layout

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Really impressed with the layout, it seems a nice compromise of space. However, the Senator California is rather heavy for my towing vehice so will be having a good look at the Pageant version, the Sancerre, tomorrow at the NEC.

Dave.

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
This is a nice van and quite a good layout.Ive looked at it 3 times and the following areas are not so good However.We must remember any caravan will have some compramise.My first concern is the font seats are a bit short for sprawling out on during the day,My second concern is the rear toilet is a bit tight especialy the shower area,Thirdly it still has the problem of climbing over the other person during the night to use the loo.Fourthly the table is quite heavy and requires to be pulled out and erected every time you wish to eat.I believe Swift are due to bring out the same layout but there van is 6 inches longer which may give a little extra room in the toilet and they may have tackled the table problem.Please remember these are only my opinions.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We looked inside a California at a dealers yesterday and then looked at the same layout inside a Swift a few yards away. The wood colour, overall style, especially the shower room of the Swift, wins hands down for us. No contest.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's all about compromises.

The Bailey is 9" shorter and has a MTPLM of 29.4cwt against the Swift Challenger's 31.4cwt. Will the Conqueror version be heavier? We shall see.

Interior wise I like the California's light and airy feel. I have to say the Swift was just as good in that respect.

The extra 9" in the Swift do make a big difference but then she's a more porky lass!

Cheers

Dustydog

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We had a look inside the Swift which was on display at the NEC and didn't like it. I was surprised, as I thought I would - but it seems very cramped at the front, more so I thought than the Bailey. You almost seem to be 'sitting in the kitchen'.

We also had a look at the Lunar (same layout) and liked that better than either the Swift or the Bailey. I don't think I'd compromise on the seating area, though, for this layout - which as Nigel Donnelly says is two thirds bedroom and bathroom and one third living area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the Swift you have the front chest of drawers which is better but encroaches on the sitting area a little

To me the front beds seemed longer in the Swift

Also on the Swift the wooden end piece by the door is low enough to allow feet/legs to stick out possibly onto a foot rest of some sort

The bed is much easier to get in/out of than the usual side beds as there is no obstruction from the toilet wall on either vans and access round the bottom of the bed should be easier than in transvers bed layouts foe the same reason

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

Due to the popularity of this new layout, we will be looking at the Senator, Sterling and Lunar versions of this layout in the May issue. We will also feature the Pageant version so we are covering everything that is out there at the moment in this layout.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Looked at this van today impressed, we have a TA at the moment but would consider this if we ever think about changing. Will purchase the May issue of PC to see the reviews. Nigel you are ahead of the game on this one well done.

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Really impressed with the layout, it seems a nice compromise of space. However, the Senator California is rather heavy for my towing vehice so will be having a good look at the Pageant version, the Sancerre, tomorrow at the NEC.

Dave.
David

What was your thoughts! We are the same as you the Senator was rather heavy for us... But we loved the Sancerre! Ordered and waiting to take delivery

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone please provide the full model names/numbers of the these vans that have the similar layout to the Carolina so I can do some on line searching?

Thanks

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I think the models similar to the Bailey California are the Swift Challenger 570 and the Sterling Eccles Ruby. I don't know which Lunar model is similar but have a look on their website. It might be the Lunar Lexon SE.

I looked at the Ruby and California recently and I love the layout but I think the comment about 2/3 bed and bathroom and 1/3 living area might be valid.

I hadn't thought about the lack of armrest on the swift meaning that your feet could stick out. I preferred the bailey version because of the armrest, especially on a shorter seat, it just seemed more comfy. Someone mentioned that the shower door on the Bailey seemed very flimsy though.

Looking forward to the May issue, well done.

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I think the models similar to the Bailey California are the Swift Challenger 570 and the Sterling Eccles Ruby. I don't know which Lunar model is similar but have a look on their website. It might be the Lunar Lexon SE.

I looked at the Ruby and California recently and I love the layout but I think the comment about 2/3 bed and bathroom and 1/3 living area might be valid.

I hadn't thought about the lack of armrest on the swift meaning that your feet could stick out. I preferred the bailey version because of the armrest, especially on a shorter seat, it just seemed more comfy. Someone mentioned that the shower door on the Bailey seemed very flimsy though.

Looking forward to the May issue, well done.
Thanks for the info.

RB

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
We liked the sterling layout but hated the devour, hadn't looked at the Senator version as we always thought of them as a wee bit old fashioned. Monday we called into our dealer to sort out a problem with our mover. Looked in the California for the first time, what a cracker!! We own a sterling jewel but have now traded it in for the California. The bathroom isn't huge but is fine, storage inbthe kitchen is better than the Ruby, seats are the same size as the Jewels but seem more spacious, the table is clever and allows you to sit down easily but then folds out easily, certainly more usable the our present one which isn't quit wide enough. So we are to become owners of a bailey for the first time since the 70s - then it was a mikado.

Jan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts