New Bailey Senator series 5

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 5, 2005
Visit site
I still haven't found any manufacturing faults but one or two design faults are rather obvious.

The key pad for the alarm is nearly on the floor and the outside light switch is inside the caravan so when you return on a dark night you can't see the key pad before you've switched on the outside light which is after you've opened the door and possibly set the alarm off.

I've remedied this situation by removing the alarm(available for sale!!) and replacing it with a key fob operated one which puts the outside light on when arm/disarmed.

There are no fuses in the caravan road lights which I find odd as most previous vans have had the 12N lead come in at the front with a bank of fuses. This means that a fault on the caravan could fuse the towcar lights.

The water pump has also been modified so that a submersible pump now fills the tank via the switch from the useless gas bottle light(now disconnected!).

Otherwise the van is really great.
We are having an Indiana next month and thought the same about the alarm,was thinking of using a central locking remote kit off ebay to turn alarm on and off what did you use if you dont mind me asking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just removed the old alarm (3 wires) and purchased a Ken Taylor(Chorley) alarm as Ken is a friend of mine.

This is an alarm that they modify from a Thatcham car alarm.

It connects to the awning light and the caravan side lights.

When you arm it with the key fob it puts the awning light on for 30 seconds and flashes the caravan lights if you choose to connect that up.It does this on disarm as well.

It has a PIR and flashing LED that flashes green until armed when it changes to red.

It is much more complicated to install as there are a LOT more wires to choose from!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I still haven't found any manufacturing faults but one or two design faults are rather obvious.

The key pad for the alarm is nearly on the floor and the outside light switch is inside the caravan so when you return on a dark night you can't see the key pad before you've switched on the outside light which is after you've opened the door and possibly set the alarm off.

I've remedied this situation by removing the alarm(available for sale!!) and replacing it with a key fob operated one which puts the outside light on when arm/disarmed.

There are no fuses in the caravan road lights which I find odd as most previous vans have had the 12N lead come in at the front with a bank of fuses. This means that a fault on the caravan could fuse the towcar lights.

The water pump has also been modified so that a submersible pump now fills the tank via the switch from the useless gas bottle light(now disconnected!).

Otherwise the van is really great.
Sorry I've only just seen these postings and as I E-mailed the alarm has been sold.

My later answer covers what I used.

IDM now do a key fob operated alarm I believe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sian,

Imagine my situation - taking delivery of a new Louisiana sight unseen till it arrived in New Zealand (no local backup) from the Southampton Dealer!

Took it away for a "shakedown" for 23 days over christmas. Oven heated the adjacent cupboard so I contacted the helpline & voila mod kit arrived in the mail. Fitted that (just 2 screws) in a flash. They didn't supply an external oven cavity vent though - is that part of the mod?

Door seal I noticed was "stretched" tight at all four round corners so a tubeof cement and some masking tape to hold it in position while curing fixed that.

Haven't had any other bothers though I didn't like the lights over the bed shining in my eyes while reading so I have replaced them with a more directional type though I still think I may go to a "Stork" type mounting (talking about the lighting here!). Water pump is great & i find it not much of a bother. some owners i believe have mounted it on rubber bushes to tone it down - I like to know when its operating. It is a zillion times better than those dicky little submersible jobs. I had constant problems with the submersible on my Auvergne "running on" all the the time. I am pleasantly surprised that the 10 litre hot water tank is allowing Mum and then the 2 kids in succession to have a decent shower without the hot supply running out. In fact they drained the 40 litre aquaroll & the hot water still did not run out! Fixed that by using the on board tank as well! Lucky I have 2 wastemasters!

I am seriously considering fitting Al-Ko shock absorbers - not because of any instability but in my case to prolong the life of the chassis and frame. It's been the subject of much convincing discussion on a couple of otehr chat sites.

Enjoy your Lou - we do.

JL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts