Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
a new bailey ranger gt460 2 berth the toilet door wouldnt open the shower door fell off the pan stand on the hob burnt the seal on the cassette toilet door come away and thats only 2 weeks old whats it going to be like in 2 years

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Michael,

Sorry to hear about your van, but I bought a brand new Champagne in 2006 and it was C*%$ it went back to the factory 3 times including 11 weeks in the summer of 2007.

It was awful loose floor, door fell off, waste pipe came away under kitchen sink drowning the fridge, window damaged etc etc to start and finally cracked front and rear panels.

I'm no legal eagle but take it back demand your money back and buy anything that isn't made in Bristol, I've just got shot of it and ordered another make due in December, I really wished I stood by my guns 3 weeks after taking delivery of it and got a refund.

Trev.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have to say my current and previous Baileys have been good. Only simple minor issues resolved quickly by our dealer.

I do believe a good dealer makes all the difference no matter what make you buy.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 20, 2007
Visit site
I realise that a good many people are happy with their Bailey van's.

I wasn't.

The after care was at best poor, the van came back from the factory with a hole in it that you could put your finger through, the creaking floor wasn't repaired first, or second time it went back to the factory only after an 11 week stay at Bristol was that repaired and it was only looked at 2 days before it was due back to me! I had a phone call from the then after sales manager Maria Sweet saying that they were stood in the van and "What exactly is the problem" question being asked at the start of the week it was due back! (I had marked the floor with masking tape saying where the creaking was coming from). I asked why it was only now being looked at, reply, "we've been busy!"

Reading this forum I realise that it is VERY pro Bailey and that many will not hear a word against them, but, my experience with Bailey and their products is such that if they were the only remaining caravan manufacturer I would buy a tent.

Trev.

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Many Thanks to all those who have praised their Bailey caravans.

We have always had Lunar caravans with no problems but saw the Pegasus at the NEC and decided to take the plunge and change to a Pegasus. Obviously this is a totally new range and there may be teething problems but I was starting to get a bit worried regarding Bailey Customer Care in some of the forum entries. We have had the same dealer for 6 years and they have been excellent in seeing us through two previous caravans so we dont envisage any problems. Many thanks to Bailey Supporters for putting my mind at rest. On another note I contacted Isabella today as our awning will need to be extended to accomodate the Pegasus. The pegasus documentation states awning size as 1039, isabella have been told 1025, ours is 1000 so according to isabella not too much extension is needed. They also said the beading will need to be changed as the awning channel for the Pegasus is so different( I will put this info on the accessories forum).

P.S Has anyone else decided to try the Pegasus

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Julie we've a P6 Burgundy which we really like, our dealers are great.

We ordered a Pagasus 524 a few weeks ago after seeing a prototype at the dealers after having a second service on the Burgundy.

The Burgundy's been brilliant, hence that's why we ordered a 524.

In fact after reading all the hoo-ha about the finiish on the Pegasus on the net, we went back to the dealers to view a 534 they've got in and it's fine, glad we ordered one.

Tom

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have NEVER had a new or used caravan with out faults!

Perhaps some people are easily satisfied? I'm not.

The last three vans have been new. The first a 1991 Swift challenger 440/4, had over 30 faults, other than that once sorted, it was a good van.

The second, 1997 Avondale leda chiltern, had less faults over 15, so an improvement, again once sorted a good van. To this day i whish i still had the inboard spare wheel well, and the gas cylinder compartment over the axle!

My present caravan a 2004, bailey senator vermont, again had over 15 faults.

The fridge having failed again for the third time is in addition, along with being on my third PSU.

So as far as i'm concerned Bailey are only a average to poor caravan.

I simply don't believe any caravan is delivered fault free.

And yes michael, i had the toilet door top planed down, it was scraping on the sun roof, also both shower doors replaced due to warping, the battery box seal replaced, due to leaking water in.

A new carpet, the chest of drawers refitted, a cupboard door replaced, and so on.

But we still like our van, just sick of the constant breakdowns, practically ever time we have been away, i come back with at lest one repair.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Ray

Crikey glad we've ordered a Pegasus instead of a much fancied Indiana, can see where the rumours about the Senator's demise could be true.

Though I said we've had no problems, actually the microwave expired, and the radio played up on CD setting but I didn't think Bailey made them.

The actual caravan has been vrilliant up to press.

Must admit when at the caravan show you could find faults in all makes but took that to be show vans.

Now if the Japanese start to export vans (if they make them) things will change.

Tom

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Tom

The bailey i have, i would grade as good, we have seen some very poorly made senators on display, with gaps between the roof and cupboard tops.

quality appears to be variable.

most of the failures are the fitments common to many makes of caravan, not just bailey, generally its poor quality, this is my opinion only.

I very much doubt that the pegasus will be any different, if only as you say the japanese would start making alternatives, to for example the fridge, so at least we could have a option, as we often do with the upholstery?

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have NEVER had a new or used caravan with out faults!

Perhaps some people are easily satisfied? I'm not.

The last three vans have been new. The first a 1991 Swift challenger 440/4, had over 30 faults, other than that once sorted, it was a good van.

The second, 1997 Avondale leda chiltern, had less faults over 15, so an improvement, again once sorted a good van. To this day i whish i still had the inboard spare wheel well, and the gas cylinder compartment over the axle!

My present caravan a 2004, bailey senator vermont, again had over 15 faults.

The fridge having failed again for the third time is in addition, along with being on my third PSU.

So as far as i'm concerned Bailey are only a average to poor caravan.

I simply don't believe any caravan is delivered fault free.

And yes michael, i had the toilet door top planed down, it was scraping on the sun roof, also both shower doors replaced due to warping, the battery box seal replaced, due to leaking water in.

A new carpet, the chest of drawers refitted, a cupboard door replaced, and so on.

But we still like our van, just sick of the constant breakdowns, practically ever time we have been away, i come back with at lest one repair.
Hi Ray

We have now had two fault free German vans. The Hymer we used for 4 months per year for 6 years and towed it almost 40K miles. The one or two components that failed after about 5 years were third part items like sink taps and a pump. I had no warranty work done. The present van a Fendt has just been in for its 1st service and the only a fault was in the Carver boiler again not manufacturer specific.

Dave

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Tom wrote

Though I said we've had no problems, actually the microwave expired, and the radio played up on CD setting but I didn't think Bailey made them

Now if the Japanese start to export vans (if they make them) things will change

I wonder where the microwave and cd player were made?

Brian

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Trev

You said

"Reading this forum I realise that it is VERY pro Bailey and that many will not hear a word against them".

I have to disagree. Certainly there are a lot of Bailey and Swift owners here , but you'd expect that with high volume makes.

In fact I'd say that both Bailey and Swift have had a real bashing on this forum over the years.

Why else do they employ people like Kelly Watts and Andy etc to deal with our problems.

Unfortunately since time immemorial the "friday afternoon" model will always slip through the net. I'm sorry you seem to have caught one. Hope it's all ok now??

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have a Bailey Vermont and although it's only 6 months old I'm pleased with it. Only 2 niggles but they are so minor I'm not bothering about it through the warranty.

Trev said that obviously this is a pro-Bailey forum but if so many post praise surely that's a good thing, usually it's only those who have complaints that bother to post.

Complaints about heaters, fridges, cookers etc. don't wear, as Brian pointed out, Bailey don't manufacture them and you will find the same manufacturers, whether it's Truma, Dometic, Whale etc. in all makes of van, not just Bailey.

Sorry to hear you've got problems though.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Tom wrote

Though I said we've had no problems, actually the microwave expired, and the radio played up on CD setting but I didn't think Bailey made them

Now if the Japanese start to export vans (if they make them) things will change

I wonder where the microwave and cd player were made?

Brian
Brian

Probably Thailand, Korea or even Britain or France.

With Japanese cars thay have a well tried quality production set-up.

Saying that it's still not Baileys afult and I think you'll find these are common problems to all makes.

Tom

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dustydog/ Lord Braykewynde

I stand by my thoughts that this forum and Practical Caravan magazine are both Very Pro Bailey, to the point that I have cancelled my subscription for the mag, as it seems I am reading a Bailey brochure on a monthly basis.

As for the caravan, I have sold it to my dealer, at a great financial hit, and I am really pleased to have got shot of it, though being on holiday from work and no 'van to go away in this week is not too good, my new non Bailey van is on order and due in December, hopefully it will not have the problems the champagne had, but, only time will tell, if it has half the problems it will be great!

Baileys after care, as I've said, in my experience, was awful.

I think that my van was started friday afternoon and finished monday morning.

I know that Bailey don't make the cooker water heater etc, but they do make the floor, fit the water hoses, screw on the bathroom doors, fit the waste hoses, fit the windows and fit the front and rear panels that crack due to being attacked by the glue that holds them together!!!!!

Yes I'm bitter and out of pocket, feed up you bet!!

If this saves somebody else the hassle that we've had to put up with over the last 3 years then it's been worth it.

Trev

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Also i would say the C.Club is pro bailey,and "what car" is pro ford, BMW.

BUT this site is defiantly not pro bailey!

Indeed bailey have gained infamy with there cracked ABS panels.(not unique to bailey)

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Ordered my new bailey Pegasus 934 at the show,trading in my 2008 Abbey GTS.I will be glad to see the back of it numerous faults Im sure the Bailey couldn,t be any worse!!.I have owned 2 baileys before and had very few problems so I hope this one will be the same.Also owning a 2002 compass which was also full of problems.Happy Camping too you all

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
The minor problems with our Bailey have always been sorted out by Kelly Watts very quickly. Therefore I am personally happy with Bailey which is why I will be upgrading to another Bailey next year.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its good to know so many owners are grateful that there problems are sorted.

Personally i would rather NOT have any problems, but i appear to be in the minority?

But then i am someone who votes for the BNP!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts