new bloke!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi lord b,

have replied to your goodself but replied to your comment so you need to open up your original question and reply is in ther, if that makes any sense lol!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Ian, thats one of the bad points about this site but they are hoping to upgrade it into this century soon. We worked 12 hour shifts. I was one of the ones who opposed the introduction originally on our service but after working them for a while I didnt want to go back to 8 hours and 5 day/week working. Like you said while at work you have no time with your family but I got to like the long stretches off, the longer I could be away from the job in one given period of time the better :O) Now I'm in Paradise, no looking at the clock and going to work at 7pm for 12 hours. I go to bed the time I want and get up when I want. No more bolting my food and living on antacids, pure bliss. No more being on duty for almost 12 hours then getting a 999 call or even worse, an emergency transfer to Birmingham, Bristol etc. When the Doc told me I had to finish work it was the first time I could have puckered up and kissed a man lmaoooooo. I was ready for it because in the last few years we had a management who were utter crap. Hardly any experience out on the road or qualifications. Our Divisional Manager was given the job on the criteria that he went to evening classes to get the managerial qualifications. Now since Ive finished they have Chief Executive, his Deputy and the Chairman who have never had ambulance working experience. I truly consider myself to be fortunate to have finished early and young enough to have a decent retirement hopefully ahead of me. I'd rather put up with the aches and pain from my back than have to go back and work under the present management heirachy, in fact I think I'd do myself in first lololol. We have only been caravanning since I finished work. With my payout from my superannuation I decided to buy a second hand van and upgrade my car. In 9 months we went away 17 times and loved it so decided to buy a new van, Abbey GTS Vogue. Enjoy your caravanning Ian.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ian, thats one of the bad points about this site but they are hoping to upgrade it into this century soon. We worked 12 hour shifts. I was one of the ones who opposed the introduction originally on our service but after working them for a while I didnt want to go back to 8 hours and 5 day/week working. Like you said while at work you have no time with your family but I got to like the long stretches off, the longer I could be away from the job in one given period of time the better :O) Now I'm in Paradise, no looking at the clock and going to work at 7pm for 12 hours. I go to bed the time I want and get up when I want. No more bolting my food and living on antacids, pure bliss. No more being on duty for almost 12 hours then getting a 999 call or even worse, an emergency transfer to Birmingham, Bristol etc. When the Doc told me I had to finish work it was the first time I could have puckered up and kissed a man lmaoooooo. I was ready for it because in the last few years we had a management who were utter crap. Hardly any experience out on the road or qualifications. Our Divisional Manager was given the job on the criteria that he went to evening classes to get the managerial qualifications. Now since Ive finished they have Chief Executive, his Deputy and the Chairman who have never had ambulance working experience. I truly consider myself to be fortunate to have finished early and young enough to have a decent retirement hopefully ahead of me. I'd rather put up with the aches and pain from my back than have to go back and work under the present management heirachy, in fact I think I'd do myself in first lololol. We have only been caravanning since I finished work. With my payout from my superannuation I decided to buy a second hand van and upgrade my car. In 9 months we went away 17 times and loved it so decided to buy a new van, Abbey GTS Vogue. Enjoy your caravanning Ian.
Lord B, i agree with you, as much as i actually love the job you certainly aint left alone to do it. Pay is quite good now with the agenda for change finally implemented at last! Currently undergoing amalgamation now with four other services, staffs west mids, shropshire and hereford and worcester as our goverment wants only 11 "super" ambulance services.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ian just pray none of the Hereford & Worcester bunch are successful in obtaining a management position. The majority of the idiots have now gone since I finished, there were a lot of infighting that they all stabbed each other in the backs. It gave most of us great pleasure to see them receiving the treatment that they had dished out to others. At one time our service was under investigation by government and implemented people to monitor managements relationship with the staffside. We had to fill in reports for about three years on our grievances. They were known nationally for their sackings in fact I came close to it myself with another colleague. The feedback I get from my ex colleagues tell me the present bunch aren't much better. Theres only one survivor from my days and he is a complete idiot, very cold without an ounce of compassion in him, and wouldnt have been out of place as one of Hitlers generals, not surprisingly he hadn't spent much time on the road himself. Like you said, common sense went out of the window and you're not allowed to make sensible decisions no more. Another reason I'm glad to be out of it is because I'm getting past the classroom days and having to take so much more clinical/drugs info on board with all the protocols they involved. Soon Ian the way things are going you'll be needing to work alongside a personal solicitor because "ambulance chasers" are here literally now. Rant over but it feels sooooooooooo good not to have to put up with their chit no more, hell of a weight off my mind. Keep up the good work mate and b*gger the rest ;O)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Reading this, I think you guys really should have yellow and green on your cars and caravans.

Typical "government" type employer management. It's a b miracle

you guys get to an incident as quick as you do.

My Brother works for the NHS and if it were not so serious I could die laughing at some of his stories of management.

For one service his place used they would pay upwards of

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
cris what I can never understand is Hospital carparks. Hundreds of them are now run by private companies. Now if those companies can run them at a profit why cant the local authority and plough the profits back into buying medical equipment. In my eyes it just proves why hospitals are always in the red, the management haven't got that brain capability to achieve this. Far too many managers with extra long titles in the health service. It seems that every other person is a manager of something or other and its getting the same at Doctors surgeries today since they have been made responsible for their own funding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My faovourite NHS experience was when seeing a Con Aneasthetist anout his NHS Pension - but it was clear within two min that his mind was not on it. So I asked him why?

His responce was to show me and area of ground that was being landscaped. I said OK but it will look nice!

He said that in 18 months time that area was going to be levelled and a new building built on the ground being landscaped.

So the

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
At one time, though I'm not sure if the same practice is in operation now, Health Service managers were penalised for good book keeping. I can only talk about the authority I worked for but for example if the budget was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is exactly what was hapening. Another example was an old hospital in Eastbourne having a complete renovation - new curtains - complete paint job etc - six months before it was closed.

And we all new it was being closed, but the money had to be spent or the budget next year was reduced!

Whilst I still have problems with the level of beurocracy - I do believe that giving PCT's their own budgets a good idea.

What is not working is the ratio of managers to medics now that the managers hold the purse strings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is exactly what was hapening. Another example was an old hospital in Eastbourne having a complete renovation - new curtains - complete paint job etc - six months before it was closed.

And we all new it was being closed, but the money had to be spent or the budget next year was reduced!

Whilst I still have problems with the level of beurocracy - I do believe that giving PCT's their own budgets a good idea.

What is not working is the ratio of managers to medics now that the managers hold the purse strings.
yep, anyone who works in the nhs or knows of it will tell you about the huge wastage and frightening amount of overpaid managers with asistants etc and of course cars. Like Lord B says they moan about money etc but if you dont spend your budget you get penalised next year so management just buy excess amount of well, silly things. Apparently you aint allowed to "bank" goverment money or gain interest or speculate etc, frightening really considering that monet could go to extra crews, vehicles etc. But at least we have our caravans to escape from it all, thats whats important eh"!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Points made here on NHS fiasco re spending can propbably be replicated by most on this forum.

But not just with the NHS!

Education, Civil Service, Prisons, Councils, Road Building, Immigration, Benefits System etc etc. No doubt many of us know TRUE examples of waste and stupidity through bad management.

Speak to a politician and they write your concerns off as rumour and speculation, when are we going to put a stop to all the crud they cover up and then expect us to pay for!

CRAP - AG , your country needs you !!!!!!!

Not so funny really when you think about it ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

What part of the country are you?? curious how you are getting on with afc !! aaaahhhhh !!! What a con !

Tina x
Hi tina,

currently at staffordshire amb serv after doing 7 at west mids amb. We got our back pay in october and now are being paid the rates. They have bought our meal breaks off so our basic is now not to bad with if you qualify 25% on top for unsocial hours. Techs are band 4 and paras band 5. I am band 6 as i am a paramedic support officer in car. Very shortly going to merge wit west mids, shropshire, hereford and worcester so heaven knows what that will do to the pay structure all over again!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts