New Car and Caravan / Hurricane / Thereafter

Mar 24, 2008
Visit site
(My wife and I have a story tell, that may be News Worthy)

During April and May of 2007, we replaced car and caravan with

new for our retirement. Off we went through Germany and Switzerland for the summer walking. On July 19th we were hit by a very local hurricane, (wind speeds to 80mph, torrential rains

and balls of ice falling from the shies, (hail Stones), with sizes in excess of "Golf Balls" (Frightening to say the least)!!

Many campers/caravaners and local folk suffered great damages and losses. We were no exception, my new car was damaged beyond ecconomical repair as it turned out and eventually replaced.

The caravan on the other hand, was very badly damaged but was eventually told it could be rebuilt. (Thank goodness for good Insurance). It was deemed that the caravan be returned to the supplying dealer, whom we had decided, offered the necessary back up, should it be required in the future, after picking it

up as new. (This agreed with the Insurers, who have been brilliant). The van was taken to the repairer on August 8th 2007

(its surfaces looking very sad), together with a list of warranty issues. Late October early November was the target of completion. Upon reqesting a progress report in November, the listing had been lost! (A new copy list was sent). As it turned out the warranty listing was rectified, (Thanks to the manufacturer). At the time we had pointed out a pump fault, we contacted the pump manufacturer ourselves and laid on a visit by a very helpful engineer, who resided within striking distance

of the repairer. January 2008, phone for progress report and it

transpired that the dealer (had not repaired the pump or contacted the pump engineer), but did so upon my complaint!!

(Pump has now been repaired)!! Upon organised collection, my new

van was so dirty, that we did not recognise it, the number plate

was missing, the offside damaged wheel trim was still in place and the kitchen work-surface was damaged!!! (Naturaly we did not sign on behalf of the Insurers). For a progress update on the 18th of March 2008 we phoned, was informed that final valeting was arranaged and we still have not got a Wheel Trim!!

(The stressed point during all this time has been "It Will Be As

Good As New" by the dealer).

The date now Tuesday the 25th of March 2008, we are very worried

and upset that we have not seen our new van, for best part of Three Quarters of a Year and do not know where it will end!!

(Oh by the way, our van is an "Ace Jubilee Envoy" with thanks to

"Swift" in its design, brilliant, if we remember correctly).

Is there anybody out there that may be able to direct us upon

the action of "Redress" if any, (we seem to be in a wilderness).

(Just can't understand why the Caravan Industry does not have a system such as the Motor Car Industry, built upon After Sales

Service, Customer Service and Satisfaction).

----------- Our New Car Was Replaced Without Question---------

Regards to all readers,

After all, Caravanning is so Relaxing!!.

Signed 'Anton and Mo'

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Anton,

Firstly Iam sorry to hear of your bad luck with the hurricane.

This is absolutely ludicrous. I find it hard to believe that you are expected to wait in excess of 7 months to have your caravan returned. In my opinion this is totaly unacceptable. My advice would be to contact the insurer and explain your plight to them; after all they are legally the customer of the repairer one would have thought. The insusrer could then lean on the repairer to have a firm date of completion.

I personaly would contact your local trading standards office or consumer direct and get some advice about the insurer replacing the van 'new for old' (if thats what it states in your policy).

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck and remember, DO NOT accept your caravan until you are 100% happy with all aspects of the repairs.

Andrew

Mar 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Anton,

Firstly Iam sorry to hear of your bad luck with the hurricane.

This is absolutely ludicrous. I find it hard to believe that you are expected to wait in excess of 7 months to have your caravan returned. In my opinion this is totaly unacceptable. My advice would be to contact the insurer and explain your plight to them; after all they are legally the customer of the repairer one would have thought. The insusrer could then lean on the repairer to have a firm date of completion.

I personaly would contact your local trading standards office or consumer direct and get some advice about the insurer replacing the van 'new for old' (if thats what it states in your policy).

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck and remember, DO NOT accept your caravan until you are 100% happy with all aspects of the repairs.

Andrew
Hello Andrew

Thank you for answering my topic.

Well now, as it happens things have progressed over the the last

week. As you suggested, we have taken legal advice and as it stands we have a very good case for for Loss of Use, this far into the repairs. As always, very tactful in our aproach with

the parties who are handling the now rather sordid afair, we are making in-roads toward a conclusion. Yesterday 03.04.08 we were offered, with the help of the insurers, a completed van

by the repairers. We have yet to arrange a collection date but have been assured it will be as good as new!!!

We will keep you posted upon the outcome!!

We now realize, that this was not the sort of topic for an intro

page but thought it would stand out. We are indeed much travelled within GB and Europe over many years. Starting as many

with the Tent, then a French La Boheme folding caravan, onward over the years with a variety of caravans and many thousands of miles. WE do not regret a moment, many places, many friends of

all nationalities, stretching back some 45 years. As for today,

well you know about the van and the tug today is a 2.0 Kia Sportage, brilliant for the job in hand and well in control.

Well Andrew, thanks once again and who knows, its a small world,

we could cross paths at some point in the future.

Anton and Mo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts