New Caravan delays

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new to this forum but not totally new to caravanning. Hubbie and I ordered a new Adria caravan at the NEC show in October 2014 for delivery February 2015. To date we have not received it. We have been in contact with the dealer and the latest information we have been given is that there has been delays on all the new caravans this year but were not given details of the reasons why, however, our caravan should be here by the end of next week (fingers crossed). As we have not bought a totally new caravan before we wondered if this was a normal occurrence? If it isn't then is there anything we should be doing specifically if our caravan has still not materialised by the end of this week? Husband has considered contacting Adria direct to see what is going on but has held off so far, we are aware that it is built in Slovenia so has to be transported from there once built. Dealer seems ok but not terribly good at keeping us informed of what is going on which does frustrate me a little as we have had had to do most of the chasing. Any help/advice gratefully received. Just can't wait to get going out in our new purchase.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Nothing unusal there I'm afraid. We ordered a new caravan at last October's show too, and initially it was suggested that it would be delivered in December. That rapidly changed to February, and we're finally collecting it on this coming Wednesday. I have had several new caravans (of differing makes) over the years, and not one has arrived at the time originally given.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that, as I said it is our first time so we were not sure what to expect. Feel a little happier knowing it is not unusual. Hope you enjoy your new caravan when you pick it up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sue,

I think you will find that most caravan dealers have Terms & Conditions's in their order documentation that limits their liabilities if estimated delivery dates are exceeded.

Deliveries not being made on time can be a big issue for some (I'm not referring just to caravans). Many businesses rely on suppliers keeping to a strict schedule, to keep production lines operating, with deliveries timed to minutes! And in those circumstances, delivery schedules are an important part of the contract to supply. Failure to deliver on time can result in punitive charges and even loss of contracts!

Unless a dealer has a caravan in stock, most will only offer estimated delivery dates and limit their liability as sometimes deliveries are outside of their control. But if you wanted a caravan by a specific date ( for a wedding for example) and you make it a particular an agreed key term in your contract, then if they fail to deliver they are in breech of contract, and potentially liable for any additional expense you incur as a direct result of not having the caravan - for example the difference in cost of hotel accommodation over the caravan site fees.

Its only fair to point out that you cannot impose such a key term, it has to be agreed, and if a supplier does not agree to include it in the contract, you have to either acced to their T&C's or look elsewhere.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Just thought I would let you know that we have now received our new caravan and had our first trip out in it last weekend. We are really happy with it and would like to say it was worth the wait, frustrating though it was!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Glad you've got it now Sue. I wonder who's to blame for late deliveries? The dealer for giving an overly optimistic date to secure the sale or the manufacturer. If it's the latter then that just further reinforces the thought that caravan manufacturers either:

a) Aren't very good at their job

b) Don't give a tinkers cuss about their customers

c) Both of the above

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
One of the factors is the hauliers who distribute new 'vans, if there's no return load they charge extra, and the manufacturers don't want to pay extra, those in outlying areas are especially expensive. Kicking Adria in Slovenia had the desired effect though, didn't it Sue.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if they are very good at the job. We were waiting for ours and the dealer had to apologise because they sent a lorry load of someone elses caravans.

TRENDING THREADS