new caravan owners

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
Just come back from a long weekend away at Searls at Huntstanton. Whilst walking around the site i just had to smile at the fact that after dark it was only the new vans (apart from mine) that had neither the blinds down nor the curtains drawn and all the lights on. Is this so as the lower class with the cheaper caravanners can see what they are missing? if so then i am sure that if they wanted to see what a new caravan looks like inside then they could go to a dealer and dont need the caravan snobbs to display to them. This type of snobbery really does annoy me.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, I do not understand your posting at all.

What is wrong with not closing curtains or blinds as soon as the sun goes down?

Where does snobbery come into the equation?

From postings elsewhere, on this forum and others, it would seem that those who do close curtains are somehow hiding and being anti social, yet when curtains are not drawn, they are snobbish??????????

I have the curtains open or closed to suit ME, what other people make of it , I dont really care.

If their life revolves around what others are doing,,surely it is time to re evaluate their life somewhat.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Damian,

I fully agree with your reply.

Come to think of it my wife and I must have been "snobs" for 33 years. If leaving the curtains open after dark with lights full on warrants the title "snob" then we have a lot of snobs as caravanning friends. What a laugh!!

Hamer.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I am not 100% sure what the point if this post is. But we have a brand new van and we close the blinds when it gets dark. This is because we watch films on the laptop and the reflections on the windows gets annoying.Not to hide from the world. We sit outside in summer and do all the normal stuff we do when we were in a tent but there is no motive other than we want to close the blinds to watch TV in comfort.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Bit rough this Tony , you are implying that because you dont have a new van....

quote "Whilst walking around the site i just had to smile at the fact that after dark it was only the new vans (apart from mine)").....

you're not a snob for leaving your curtains open!!!

What does it matter that someone has a new van and wants to leave the curtains open.

We dont especially close ours or leave them open for any other reason than the mood takes us.

Yes we have a new van which , all too soon will be an 'old' van so when our van is old do we then no longer become a snob when we choose to leave the curtains open?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,Been caravanning for 34yrs and I thought that we were all equal erispective of whether we have a new or old caravans and if we decide to draw our curtains when its dark then thats up to us.I think maybe its you who is the snob?.Whether you are trying to wind people up I don,t know.Live and let live comes to mind.Jim

*Posting edited to remove unnecessary personal comments*

Mod 2

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Some nights we close the blinds earlier than others, does this mean we need professional help in order to establish our social standing, or I am just reading too much into one of the most stupid post placed on here in recent months?

MM1

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
Tony..... could you please define SNOB....

I have a brand new caravan which my husband has worked his socks of to provide for us.....

I leave my curtains open most nights because I like to be nosey

from the comfort of my van and look to see what others have....

But im no snob....

I think us new caravan owners are due an apology....

Sorry but people like you make me mad.....

mandy

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tony,

You've opened a can of worms here.I posted a reply to a similar topic some months ago.So for your edification I will repeat it ( veterns please indulge me)

Many years ago when my children were toddlers(they have kids of their own now)we used to go caravanning a lot.This continued right up until they were teenagers,when with their friends/boyfriends tagging along as well we decided to give up caravanning.

We went about 5 years(I think) without a caravan holiday.On our 25th wedding anniversary I asked my wife what she wanted to do.Maybe a romantic weekend in Paris I suggested.However she said that she wanted to go camping in Cornwall.So off I went ,bought a tent and all the necessary equipment.

So off we went to Cornwall for a week's camping.Our old habit returned and every night we went for a stroll around the site.Glorious sunshine every day,bucketfull of rain every night.

When we got back from the holiday we bought a caravan and have never ever looked back.

What brought this about?

As we walked round the site seeing people sitting in their vans,curtains opened ,sipping wine,comfortable and so obviously relaxed,we realised how brilliant caravanning was.

So if you were in Loo during the week of 21st July 1998 ,THANKS for keeping your curtains opened.It inspired us to go back to the best hobby ever..........................

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We close our curtains after dark because we don't want people walking past and staring into our caravan watching us eat crayfish or a nice fat juicy steak, however I don't understand the post because if you want to have your curtains open or closed, it is your caravan and you can do as you please. Actually our curtains are open all day you if you want to sneak a peep when we are not looking and that is your problem and you may need to see a psychiatrist.

Again definition of a SNOB? I think Tony is just jealous and upset because he cannot be one man up. Forget that and just enjoy caravanning!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi have,nt posted for a while and after seeing this post can now understand why , when i ordered our van last oct till pick up in march i ploughed in as much overtime , rest days , saturdays and sundays as i could so that i didnt need finance or very little, then come this summer [when it finally arrived ] we could sit indoors / outdoors blinds open closed half closed it just really doesnt matter, i am no snob worked all my life if i want new i will buy new if i cant afford new i will buy second hand , john

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts