"New" Caravan Tyres

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
My 2016 Coachman VIP 575/4 had its annual service three days ago and was given a clean bill of health. The highest damp reading being a lowly 8%.
What was pointed out though, was that my tyres were coming up to being seven years old. I know about the 5-7 year rule and if it hadn't been for the two years of Covid restrictions curtailing my caravan use I would have changed them sooner. The old tyres had still got 6mm of tread on them and the sidewalls showed no sign of cracking, delamination, lumps bumps or cuts but, with my trip to France coming up I have replaced them.
However, when I checked the date stamps on the "new" tyres one was marked 06/21 and the other 09/21 so the first one is already 12 months old before being fitted. They are exactly the same version of the tyre, just made at different times.
It would be churlish to complain as the tyres were ordered and fitted by a family member's tyre and auto company and they had quite a time with the Tyron Bands fitted to the wheels.
If these tyres had been fitted to a commercial vehicle, 10 years is the recommended change period but on a lighter caravan it's 5 years. It is my underestanding that the main cause of damage to a caravan tyre is caused by the UV rays from the Sun and the fact that caravans can potentially remain static for long periods of time in all seasons and weather conditions.
My new tyres have sat on a shelf in storage where they have not been exposed to the elements
So, can someone please give me the definitive answer if there is one, to whether the 5 year clock starts ticking when the tyres are manufactured or when they are fitted to a caravan?
Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The clock starts ticking from date of manufacture. Whether you change at 5 years or 7 years is a personal choice it’s not a rule just guidance. I always bought the tyres from a online supplier and tended to go for mainstream makes as the throughput is higher. My last two were Hankook Vantra and we’re three months old on fitting. I used Blackcircles. They replaced Hankooks that were coming up to five years old.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My 2016 Coachman VIP 575/4 had its annual service three days ago and was given a clean bill of health. The highest damp reading being a lowly 8%.
What was pointed out though, was that my tyres were coming up to being seven years old. I know about the 5-7 year rule and if it hadn't been for the two years of Covid restrictions curtailing my caravan use I would have changed them sooner. The old tyres had still got 6mm of tread on them and the sidewalls showed no sign of cracking, delamination, lumps bumps or cuts but, with my trip to France coming up I have replaced them.
However, when I checked the date stamps on the "new" tyres one was marked 06/21 and the other 09/21 so the first one is already 12 months old before being fitted. They are exactly the same version of the tyre, just made at different times.
It would be churlish to complain as the tyres were ordered and fitted by a family member's tyre and auto company and they had quite a time with the Tyron Bands fitted to the wheels.
If these tyres had been fitted to a commercial vehicle, 10 years is the recommended change period but on a lighter caravan it's 5 years. It is my underestanding that the main cause of damage to a caravan tyre is caused by the UV rays from the Sun and the fact that caravans can potentially remain static for long periods of time in all seasons and weather conditions.
My new tyres have sat on a shelf in storage where they have not been exposed to the elements
So, can someone please give me the definitive answer if there is one, to whether the 5 year clock starts ticking when the tyres are manufactured or when they are fitted to a caravan?
Thank you.

I had a great deal on a set of Michelin car tyres and rims, all brand new. But they had been sitting in a stores for 6 years. Worried about this I contacted Michelin. They were clear that there would be no problem so long as they had been stored out of the sun.

From this I gather that the real killer is the UV raays.

John

Reactions: gary
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a great deal on a set of Michelin car tyres and rims, all brand new. But they had been sitting in a stores for 6 years. Worried about this I contacted Michelin. They were clear that there would be no problem so long as they had been stored out of the sun.

From this I gather that the real killer is the UV raays.

John
So are you advising that unused, stored tyres of 6 years age would go on your caravan, as that’s the nuxt of the OPs question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the end user, you can only hope the tyre suppliers have looked after the tyre correctly, ut the reality is we can't know for certain, And its not only UV that can damage tyres, just exposure to air will also start to affect the materials. Consequently the only indication we can assume to be correct is the manufacturing date.

As to how a tyre needs to be to require replacement assuming its not actually worn out, depends on arange of other factors. Different manufacturers will use slightly different compounds, or construction methods both of which might affect the age related degradation.

Its therefore not possible to give a universal single age at which all tyres will have degraded to the point of needing to be replaced.

There is no substitute for regularly checking the condition of tyres and looking for signs of deterioration, But just as guidance various industries do make generalised recommendations and will naturally tend to err on the side of safety.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As the end user, you can only hope the tyre suppliers have looked after the tyre correctly, ut the reality is we can't know for certain, And its not only UV that can damage tyres, just exposure to air will also start to affect the materials. Consequently the only indication we can assume to be correct is the manufacturing date.

As to how a tyre needs to be to require replacement assuming its not actually worn out, depends on arange of other factors. Different manufacturers will use slightly different compounds, or construction methods both of which might affect the age related degradation.

Its therefore not possible to give a universal single age at which all tyres will have degraded to the point of needing to be replaced.

There is no substitute for regularly checking the condition of tyres and looking for signs of deterioration, But just as guidance various industries do make generalised recommendations and will naturally tend to err on the side of safety.
I had two rear Dunlops changed on our daughters previous car. They had 5 mm of tread and were only 3 years old but both had small cracks appearing on the inside and outside shoulders. They were also picked up as MoT advisories. The car was used daily too. All tyres can perform differently and need to be checked and the vehicle owner takes responsibility. Recent legislation has been introduced limiting some categories of commercial vehicle to a maximum age of 10 years from manufacture. This came about due to the terrible crash in September 2017 on the M5 near Bristol where a southbound “ farmers” truck had a tyre failure and crossed into the northbound. We passed heading south just after it had occurred. The legislation followed.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So are you advising that unused, stored tyres of 6 years age would go on your caravan, as that’s the nuxt of the OPs question.

No, not my advice, Mitchelins. They have far more experience than I.

Common sense would suggest one gets the newest tyres possible. I feel sure that the OP would be aware of that. but if his 1 year old tyres have been stored correctly, it is not a critical concern. Thats my opinion.

John

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It's a weird one and no real answers other than tyre makers say 10 years max then bin; we have winter tyres on our Roadster s so they've spent 5 years on the car doing about 14000 miles and 5 years stored on their sides in my garage wrapped up in blankets. Yet i have to throw them away-not a mark nor crack nor much wear-about 6mm left all over. Seems aterrible shame but I think I have to!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts