NEW CARAVAN

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Need to buy a new caravan. It's btween Elddis Typhoon, Eccles Moonstone or Swift Challenger 530. Given that we all accept that the build quality of all new caravans is appalling, which one is the best.

Many thanks for your views

Wayne

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Bit of a generalisation saying that we all accept the build quality of all new caravans is appalling don't you think?
Yes and agree but based on some years of experiance and over some nations and countries, it seems that build quality is at a low ebb. Congratualtions if it is not you. but new fronts and backs on Avondale, new roofs on Swift. along with the many many regular post delvery defects on virtually 100% of new caravans does I sugest mean the industry is no where near that of the car industry. Indeed the car ndustry is not perfect but they do try.

Phone any caravan manufacturer and they can not even tell you what and where each dealer has defined stock. A bit of bang it out boys and lets go home, well they mostly work 4 day weeks. Its about time the complete industry woke up to good quality standards.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Had a good look around at all brands before changing the van this month, I stuck to the coachman because everything else seemed to me to be shoddy and lightweight by comparison. Didn't seem that they would stand the test of time. Been out in the new van twice now and no issues or problems at all, except I do think there are cost cutting measures over our old (2007) model

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Wayne,

There is no such a thing as "the best".

What is of most importance is that you buy from a reputable reliable dealer. One that does a full PDI and does a complete handover procedure showing that everything works and how to use al the caravans installations. My own dealer of 25 plus years and 8 new caravans can be fully recommended.Golden Castle Caravans at Staverton airport.

Some caravanners only consider the cost to change, in my opinion this is a big mistake. After sales service is far more important from a reliable dealer.

The round trip to my dealer is 360 miles, however only twice have i had to make a special journey.

Hamer

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Had a good look around at all brands before changing the van this month, I stuck to the coachman because everything else seemed to me to be shoddy and lightweight by comparison. Didn't seem that they would stand the test of time. Been out in the new van twice now and no issues or problems at all, except I do think there are cost cutting measures over our old (2007) model
Also with a coachman it is easier to use approved workshops if you do have warrenty work, meaning you can shop around the dealers for the best price and not have to worry about returning for minor or major niggles

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its pretty pointless buying a poor caravan from a reputable dealer, it will still have to go back for repairs. And why pay more for exactly the same product? And then subject yourself to a round trip of 360 miles!!

Sorry but there are good dealers that will match a price, but are not located at the other end off the county.

As for the quality of coachman caravans, are the external screws now stainless? Ok you don't keep the caravan long enough for it to matter, but quality is the entire package, not just what's on the surface.

Elddis and lunar are the two makes that i find the most appealing at the moment.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ray,

You are entitled to your opinion but i stick by what i said.

I have built up an excellent relationship with my dealer and have no desire to go elsewhere.

If the dealer has done a full PDI then most manufacturing faults should have been rectified, and if he does a complete handover, no matter how long it takes, then you know when you leave the dealer that everything works.

If your caravan developes a serious fault at a later date it is then you discover how good a dealer is.

As i stated in 25 years and 8 new caravans i have only ever had to make two special journeys to my dealer. This was because of a leak and was fully repaired within 6 weeks.

My caravan is booked in for service while i am on tour, any problems dealt with, and on two occassions the dealer's technician came to a local Caravan Club site to fix problems.

Yes there are other good dealers as has been mentioned on this forum, but once you have taken delivery of your new caravan there is service and service. Some of the stories you hear from caravanners on site just beggar belief.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS