New caravan

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi All, well I’ve found a caravan I intend to go and look at during the week, I’ve spoken to seller and he has the caravan on a site where they store it and put it on a pitch when he wants to use it, the site is quite a way further for me to travel so he’s offered to fetch it from there to his home and will let me know tomorrow when he can get it there, he sounds really genuine but I just want to run few things by people more experienced in buying a caravan, it’s 2 years old and has been serviced by dealer he bought it from, he has cris certificate, I’m actually pleased I’m meeting him at home rather than storage as I can ascertain he actually lives where he says, so providing all his paperwork, ie cris and purchase forms, and service sheet is in order, if I ring cris while I’m there will I be able to confirm his ownership there and then, I’m speaking to him tomorrow so hopefully I can get the cris number and vin from him and call cris tomorrow and I can go on Tuesday armed with the info, so service report and cris check would you think I can be fairly sure of ownership and a right to sell it, the plan is I give him a deposit Tuesday then pay balance Saturday when I fetch it, any tips or advice much appreciated.
BP

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Ask him for the VIN number and run it past CRiS to check if it is stolen or on HP. I would do this now and save the travel if it comes out wrong. I have never tried to check with them by phone, but if you want to do this check out their website and see if it is possible, but do be aware that at present many services that take phone calls are not always up to speed with them.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A few years ago, I was the in between person for a friend who was selling his caravan, on E bay or somewhere. He was in Switzerland . His caravan was at his UK home which was rented out, I had all the documents. And the buyer was obviously concerned it was a genuine sale, he came down twice to see it.
A real worry as my friend wanted to make sure payment was good before letting go of the van. And also to the buyer.
Lets hope all goes well for you.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With it been only two years old did he say why he was selling it ?
Also check everything is above board Vin number with CRiS so it not been stolen or on Hp it should show his address as proof of ownership do that before you go like if you happy leave a deposit and pay the rest on collection

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Cris check done and all good, he has it on a seasonal pitch and packing it all up tomorrow then taking it to his home where he and his other half will unload and I’ll rock up at his house Saturday morning, give it my own physical check over and all being well which I’m confident it will be I’ll hook up and tow it home where my wife and I will give it a top to bottom clean with every anti bacterial wipe and spray known to man, should get it done in a couple of days and with another slice of luck I’ll find some where local we can go towards the end of the week for 2-3 nights to put it through it’s paces, failing to find a site I’ll do what I would do on the site on the drive at home, the seller is adamant that I’m going to be totally happy when I get there, I’m really looking forward to picking it up, if it’s as good as it sounds I’ll get it all ship shape and once I’ve worked out how to upload pictures I’ll share some on here.

BP

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cris check done and all good, he has it on a seasonal pitch and packing it all up tomorrow then taking it to his home where he and his other half will unload and I’ll rock up at his house Saturday morning, give it my own physical check over and all being well which I’m confident it will be I’ll hook up and tow it home where my wife and I will give it a top to bottom clean with every anti bacterial wipe and spray known to man, should get it done in a couple of days and with another slice of luck I’ll find some where local we can go towards the end of the week for 2-3 nights to put it through it’s paces, failing to find a site I’ll do what I would do on the site on the drive at home, the seller is adamant that I’m going to be totally happy when I get there, I’m really looking forward to picking it up, if it’s as good as it sounds I’ll get it all ship shape and once I’ve worked out how to upload pictures I’ll share some on here.

BP
Hi i hope everything is fantastic and you like it on saturday my wife the same before we started this season we gave our van a spring clean with anti bacterial wipes , i hope you can get a break somewhere not to far from home ..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Doesn’t this virus only live for three days or so and anti bacterial wipes aren’t that effective against viruses. Soap and water or Flash, or a light bleach/ Milton solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I work in Nursing Care, so our company have done a lot to check out cleaning products to ensure that the were actually effective. A lot of our cleaning products have changed.

We now use Detol, as this does kill both bacteria and virus's...

But if you've just purchased from a dealers, then its likely they have taken due precautions to ensure full cleaning, alongs side ensuring once its cleaned, nobody enters apart from you. We picked up our new caravan on a Thursday, the handover was done, us in masks and gloves, also the sales chap who didn't enter the caravan, but talked us through the hand over, this does this that and the other from the door.

In work, we use 72 hours, so if you pick up the caravan, use proper PPE if you enter the caravan, take it home and leave it untouched for 72 hours, the do full clean, and again use PPE then it should be fine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I work in Nursing Care, so our company have done a lot to check out cleaning products to ensure that the were actually effective. A lot of our cleaning products have changed.

We now use Detol, as this does kill both bacteria and virus's...

But if you've just purchased from a dealers, then its likely they have taken due precautions to ensure full cleaning, alongs side ensuring once its cleaned, nobody enters apart from you. We picked up our new caravan on a Thursday, the handover was done, us in masks and gloves, also the sales chap who didn't enter the caravan, but talked us through the hand over, this does this that and the other from the door.

In work, we use 72 hours, so if you pick up the caravan, use proper PPE if you enter the caravan, take it home and leave it untouched for 72 hours, the do full clean, and again use PPE then it should be fine.
There’s some very useful advice on the US Center for Disease Control website where they warn that many anti bacterial wipes are not effective even against bacteria. Often people just give a cursory wipe which only serves to slightly reduce the bacterial load. The US FDA register disinfectants for sale in the US as these will kill bacteria and virus. If But even so they recommend cleaning a surface using a good quantity of disinfecting fluid with a residence time of 3-4 minutes. Your use of Dettol is in line with their recommendations.

Our daughter (NHS) “instructed” us to quarantine deliveries for 3 days which we have stuck rigorously to. We stopped using anti bacterial wipes, sprays or hand cleanser when the FDA banned those that contained triclosan or tricloban given their potential effect on humans, the wider environment and the potential to develop resistance to antibiotics in bacteria. . We use only soap for hand washing and surface disinfecting is by using bleach/Milton, with alcohol sanitiser when out and about.

CDC guidelines

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning, we collected caravan Saturday morning, no problem with condition other than it was more in need of internal & external clean than I’d expected, if it had been spotless inside we would still have wanted to do our own cleaning, so no problem, everything other than that was perfect, it’s just what we wanted, we’ve found a website we can order made to measure bedding that looks great, I think the company is Belfield and they supply direct to Bailey as well, van came with, electric hook up lead, battery, solar panel on the roof, not sure what wattage but I’m told it keeps the battery topped up in storage, seller left the whale pump, got a powr touch mover that was new 2 years ago, ATC fitted, all things taken into account we are really pleased, we’ve a 3 day booking at local (ish) site for next week to give a try out, it’s service schedule is up to date but I’m going to see if local dealer has any chance of doing a gas check this week, anything else I’m happy to do but gas I prefer to get someone qualified.

BP

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Morning, we collected caravan Saturday morning, no problem with condition other than it was more in need of internal & external clean than I’d expected, if it had been spotless inside we would still have wanted to do our own cleaning, so no problem, everything other than that was perfect, it’s just what we wanted, we’ve found a website we can order made to measure bedding that looks great, I think the company is Belfield and they supply direct to Bailey as well, van came with, electric hook up lead, battery, solar panel on the roof, not sure what wattage but I’m told it keeps the battery topped up in storage, seller left the whale pump, got a powr touch mover that was new 2 years ago, ATC fitted, all things taken into account we are really pleased, we’ve a 3 day booking at local (ish) site for next week to give a try out, it’s service schedule is up to date but I’m going to see if local dealer has any chance of doing a gas check this week, anything else I’m happy to do but gas I prefer to get someone qualified.

BP
Congratulations and hope you have many happy trips in your new caravan. Why not get an Approved Workshop Scheme technician to check the gas as they probably need the money more than a dealer workshop who are going to charge an arm and a leg plus probably can do it quicker at your premises. LOL!
BTW the Powrtouch motor mover comes with a 5 year warranty and I am, sure that the warranty can be transferred. Give them a ring with the serial number to see if it can be transferred.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi I’ve got an approved technician who has managed to squeeze me in tomorrow to just do gas check and I’ll have him back when I find out service dates, and I’ll speak to the main dealer who told me the previous owner was ok with his service record, so I want the exact dates of when service needs doing, am I right in thinking with the caravan being 2 years old the only warranty that I need service record for is water ingress, I think apart from that and as you say the mover being 5 year warranty everything else is probably 1 or maybe 2 year warranty, I will definitely get in touch with powr touch, thanks for the reminder.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi I’ve got an approved technician who has managed to squeeze me in tomorrow to just do gas check and I’ll have him back when I find out service dates, and I’ll speak to the main dealer who told me the previous owner was ok with his service record, so I want the exact dates of when service needs doing, am I right in thinking with the caravan being 2 years old the only warranty that I need service record for is water ingress, I think apart from that and as you say the mover being 5 year warranty everything else is probably 1 or maybe 2 year warranty, I will definitely get in touch with powr touch, thanks for the reminder.

BP
You should be able to transfer the remainder of the 6 years water ingress warranty to yourself by contacting either manufacturer or dealer. Cost is about £60 and worth doing. I think there may be other items like Thetford toilet and fridge which may have a 3 year warranty, but you probably cannot transfer them. We got our bedding from Dunelm at a lot less than the price wanted by Bellfields.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to transfer the remainder of the 6 years water ingress warranty to yourself by contacting either manufacturer or dealer. Cost is about £60 and worth doing. I think there may be other items like Thetford toilet and fridge which may have a 3 year warranty, but you probably cannot transfer them. We got our bedding from Dunelm at a lot less than the price wanted by Bellfields.
Some component warranties require servicing to be carried out annually and this isn’t normally included in the AWS caravan annual service. Best to check the caravan documents

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some component warranties require servicing to be carried out annually and this isn’t normally included in the AWS caravan annual service. Best to check the caravan documents
Servicing was done by a dealer according to an earlier post? Not sure which components would require servicing?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is often forgotten that the caravan manufacturer's warranty does not actually cover some of the OEM items installed by the manufacturer. Just as you need to register your ownership of the caravan with the manufacturer to be enrolled in the warranty programme, the same applies to the fridge, heaters, ariel and other items. Generally you should check the owners document wallet and check all the instruction books to find how to register your interests with the relevant manufacturers.

Each OEM manufacturer can set out their own t&c's, but be warned some still will only provide a warranty to the original purchaser, and won't transfer benefits to second hand owners.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is often forgotten that the caravan manufacturer's warranty does not actually cover some of the OEM items installed by the manufacturer. Just as you need to register your ownership of the caravan with the manufacturer to be enrolled in the warranty programme, the same applies to the fridge, heaters, ariel and other items. Generally you should check the owners document wallet and check all the instruction books to find how to register your interests with the relevant manufacturers.

Each OEM manufacturer can set out their own t&c's, but be warned some still will only provide a warranty to the original purchaser, and won't transfer benefits to second hand owners.

Surely there is no necessity to register any warranty with a manufacturer as your contract is with the supplier and the supplier needs to sort out the issue? We have never bothered to register fridge and other items however we have registered stuff that we have added to the caravan by a third party i.e. motor mover.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fridge and blown air heaters are two in mine.

As a matter of interest what would they service on a fridge or blown air heating? I know that you should have the gas system serviced every 3 years as this is not included in the service schedule. We have not used the fridge or heating on gas for more than an hour in the past 3 years however I would think that is when they get clogged up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surely there is no necessity to register any warranty with a manufacturer as your contract is with the supplier and the supplier needs to sort out the issue? We have never bothered to register fridge and other items however we have registered stuff that we have added to the caravan by a third party i.e. motor mover.

This is exactly the same situation as it is with the caravan manufacturers warranty. You have your statutory rights with the seller under the CRA, but it has become a tradition for the manufacturer to also offer a manufacturers warranty. This has come about becasue some manufacturers (not just caravan manufacturers) did want to try and serve their end users by offering a dealer network to whom the customer could turn if they had a problem with one of their products.

To be able to take advantage of that warranty you have to let the manufacturer know you have purchased the goods by registering your purchase with them, which usually means signing and returning a registration document to them.

Not all manufacturers rigorously stick to that tradition, but if they discovered someone was trying to claim when they hadn't registered their purchase, they could simply refuse the claim.

My note was just about the need to register with a manufacture, it does not necessarily mean there is a contractual duty to have a product serviced. However depending on the product, servicing or maintenance might be involved, and failure to comply might void the manufacturers warranty.

You are quite at liberty not to return the registration card, but then you are restricted to using just your seller for ALL warranty work. You cant expect another member of the manufacturer's dealer's network to help to resolve a warranty issue.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is exactly the same situation as it is with the caravan manufacturers warranty. You have your statutory rights with the seller under the CRA, but it has become a tradition for the manufacturer to also offer a manufacturers warranty. This has come about becasue some manufacturers (not just caravan manufacturers) did want to try and serve their end users by offering a dealer network to whom the customer could turn if they had a problem with one of their products.

To be able to take advantage of that warranty you have to let the manufacturer know you have purchased the goods by registering your purchase with them, which usually means signing and returning a registration document to them.

Not all manufacturers rigorously stick to that tradition, but if they discovered someone was trying to claim when they hadn't registered their purchase, they could simply refuse the claim.

My note was just about the need to register with a manufacture, it does not necessarily mean there is a contractual duty to have a product serviced. However depending on the product, servicing or maintenance might be involved, and failure to comply might void the manufacturers warranty.

You are quite at liberty not to return the registration card, but then you are restricted to using just your seller for ALL warranty work. You cant expect another member of the manufacturer's dealer's network to help to resolve a warranty issue.
All you need to do is produce your receipt as that is as good as a warranty. A warranty is in addition to your rights and does not over ride your rights. To date, we have never had an issue when claiming even though we have not registered with the manufacturer.
My concern is why do they need your details and how often you change your shirt, how many children you and how often do you have breakfast etc etc. This is then followed by loads of junk mail from third parties to whom they have sold your details.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a matter of interest what would they service on a fridge or blown air heating? I know that you should have the gas system serviced every 3 years as this is not included in the service schedule. We have not used the fridge or heating on gas for more than an hour in the past 3 years however I would think that is when they get clogged up.
No idea never had it done. I just run the fridge on gas for 10 minutes prior to each trip and annually clean out the dust from the Truma blown air heater and again run it before each trip for a few minutes.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well gas check all passed and all good to go, the techie that I used is an approved tech and is ok with doing all the annual services etc, he remembered me from around 7 or 8 years ago when he fitted me a powrtouch on a previous caravan and did a couple of other jobs, his bill for today was waived and he said if I plan to use him for service work he was happy to do the gas check gratis, I was glad I still had his number in my phone, started putting stuff back in caravan and finding all the things we’d been carrying around for no good reason, I’ve mailed Bailey to see about warranty transfer and although I did Cris check before buying I only remembered I still hadn’t got myself registered as new owner so got that done also, I’ll contact powrtouch tomorrow and sort that warranty as well, all go but still really pleased with our purchase.

BP

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All you need to do is produce your receipt as that is as good as a warranty. ....To date, we have never had an issue when claiming even though we have not registered with the manufacturer.

That is to claim your rights under the CRA, where you need to show you purchased the goods from that particular retailer. Some retailers will allow you to return faulty goods to another branch of the retailer, that is an enhancement of your statutory rights and does not diminish them.

A warranty is in addition to your rights and does not over ride your rights.

I have never suggested differently.

My concern is why do they need your details and how often you change your shirt, how many children you and how often do you have breakfast etc etc. This is then followed by loads of junk mail from third parties to whom they have sold your details.

It is entirely up to the consumer to decide if they wish to take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty, no one is forcing them to, But if a consumer does choose to register for it, then they have to accept the manufacturer's T&C's . If the consumer only part fills in the registration form, then depending on what information is omitted the manufacture might decline to accept the registration.

I suggest if you want to take advantage of a manufacturers warranty , but feel the information requested is in appropriate you should take that matter up with the manufacturer under the Data Protection Act.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts