New Caravanners

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I often read the forum, and i am amazed by the number of people that go out and buy a new or nearly new van having never tried caravaning before.It seems to me to be an expensive mistake if you don`t like it,or is it just me.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I have thought the same when I have seen posts on here, I have known people buy a new van having never used one then sold it because they did not like the towing and have lost a lot of money. Far better to buy a cheap second hand van and see if you like it first especially the towing.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I absolutely agree. Local newspapers are full of really cheap vans - especially at this time of year when everyone upgrades. We bought our 1983 van in 1999 for

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Buying a new van as first time user is a good move, well we got our used 4 times only Senator for a song from the owner who argued with his wife each time and his kids refused to go in it with them :)

I've never bought a new van, and have never had a problem adapting to what is on offer in our chosen vans.

I've sat in many a van thinking this is the one for me and then as I look around I go off the layout or notice the poorly fitted bits.

Take your time and look around the inside of the van and see howit works for you.

If the sliding door sticks and falls off at the dealers it will on every trip!

If it's annoying trying to pass one another at the kitchen area

May 12, 2005
Visit site
We bought our first van in 1999 from Barons at Chorley, I made the mistake of parking at the wrong end of the car park (next to the new section) well when the wife had taken a look in a new one, I had no chance of getting her over to the used section, we bought a Bailey Ranger 460/2 on very favourable terms, so the pain was eased. Fortunately we loved vanning from the first trip so never had a problem, but it could have been so different.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
No I can't see the sense in it either Andy.

We have only just bought a new caravan after thirty years. We mainly stuck to ones about two years old then traded them in every couple of years.

It's a massive layout buying new, and then deciding after a few outings that it really isn't your scene. Think of the money you loose when you sell then van.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
My brother in law has decided to purchase a new Sterling as he has been trying for sometime to get hold of a used van (no older than 2003) and he is always pipped at the post, they have been caravanning for less than a year but thoroughly enjoy it. Where we store our van the dealer tells us that new vans a flying our the door. He will not get his new Sterling until May!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've posted elswhere here, that if you want a good used van you need to looking and calling the day the adds come out or on a dealers books even id he knows he has a good trtade coming in.

After our van got written off last year we lost count of the calls we made only to find vans ahd been sold and often to dealers trawling the ads!

Our Baileys Ad went on line Friday Night/Saturday morn and we were on the phone straight away. It was a dream buy, but check the net ads every day and be prepared to move quick for the right van.

DMT

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its seems to be the same with everything these days, people want everthing new and go into debt they cannot afford to get it, I passed my driving test 23yrs ago bought an old car and gradually over 20yrs worked up to a new 20grand motor, we did the same with caravaning, we started 18yrs ago with a frame tent, this we sold and bought a 1972 ACE pioneer with glass windows and foot water pump, sold after 3 years we bought a 1990 swift chalenger, sold after 4 years we bought a 1999 luna LX2000, swapped for brand new Avondale 556 which we pull with our 4x4, I know the anti 4x4 squad will start but we need this type of vehicle to carry the growing family and tow the van(especially in winter months), but when not towing the 4x4 lives in the garage and we have a small economical car to do all the running around.

So when my 12yr old lad passes his test i will encourage him to start with an older motor he can afford and work his way up, just as my parents did.

Feb 21, 2006
Visit site
Its seems to be the same with everything these days, people want everthing new and go into debt they cannot afford to get it, I passed my driving test 23yrs ago bought an old car and gradually over 20yrs worked up to a new 20grand motor, we did the same with caravaning, we started 18yrs ago with a frame tent, this we sold and bought a 1972 ACE pioneer with glass windows and foot water pump, sold after 3 years we bought a 1990 swift chalenger, sold after 4 years we bought a 1999 luna LX2000, swapped for brand new Avondale 556 which we pull with our 4x4, I know the anti 4x4 squad will start but we need this type of vehicle to carry the growing family and tow the van(especially in winter months), but when not towing the 4x4 lives in the garage and we have a small economical car to do all the running around.

So when my 12yr old lad passes his test i will encourage him to start with an older motor he can afford and work his way up, just as my parents did.
buying new for first time caravaners can be very exspensive, we bought a 90 coachman to try out our first time and everyone fell in love with it even the wife who said 'NEVER' she loved the 5 star hotel. We sold that van and got a bigger one but still bought second hand, with 3 young kids we want them to be able to do what they want without worrying that they'll wreck something. After all if the kids aren't happy no one else is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts