New caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
reading Trebordee's latest posting , and many others on the same subject, over the past few weeks, and the problems people seem to have with their vans when they do eventually get delivered, can someone please tell me why anyone bothers to buy new? I've only once had a new car(over twenty years ago) and always bought s/h vans. I've also never had a delivery problem, nor had trouble with warranty work. But I have had some wonderful caravanning, and at considerably less cost than if I'd bought new! I'm not critisising, Just curious. It's a bit like people complaining about airports spoiling their holidays, then doing exactly the same thing next year.Why?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson, I expect that the people who bought new vans which they think are good value and well made don't report it in the same way that unsatisfied customers do.

I'm sure that there is a fair percentage of 2nd hand owners who are also not satisfied with their private or dealer purchase.

I personally have bought 4 new vans and been happy with all of them and incidentally have never needed a repair under warranty. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that,I hope that isn't going to come back to haunt me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Valid point, SD, but I'm being a little selfish there,because for the last 15 years or so I've only had Royales. The company ceased production in 1981, but there are still some good ones out there. But, taking your point, someone had to buy them new as well.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
It's the same old problem as with anything new, for every 12 you sell 1 is trouble.

I bought our first brand new caravan last year, waited nearly 4 months for it and the delivery was exactly on time with the handover a painless affair.

On the downside there was a couple of warranty issues and this resulted with the van going back to the dealer twice for repairs.

This was a pain and left me out of pocket what with cost of geting the thing there but the dealer's workshop did repairs while I waited so a return journey was not needed.

The reason for buying new ?

Why not, our van was cheaper brand new than the same model being sold second hand just over a year old. Work that out, it certainly baffled me. Asked the salesman and was told that this model is sought after and there is a wait for brand new so secondhand prices hold their value.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmerson.

Regarding your topic Why Buy A New Caravan.

I will tell you the reason as to why I bought a New Hobby Caravan, As to buying a second-hand Caravan.

As stated in my topic I am new to the caravanning scene.

I read up a lot on what to look out for when buying a second-hand caravan, And I went out looking at lot of second-hand caravans at dealers and could not see anything I liked, Plus the prices of some second-hand caravan both in the private market and at the dealers were a joke, For what they were asking for a caravan at between the ages of 2 to 8 year old vans, Some caravans were in good condition, some were in bad condition, But it did not stop some of them asking for silly money for some poor condition second-hand caravans.

Then after months of looking for a caravan, A friend mine had just bought a new German built Hobby caravan, So I went to have a look at it, And right a way I saw the caravan make, model & quality a I was looking for, Plus the second hand prices where reasonable, But there's only one problem it's very hard to get second-hand Hobby caravan with exact model that I wanted being to UK speck, A majority of the Hobby caravan in the second-hand market that I look at had been imported to this country privately, And after reading a lot of articles on Hobby caravans and some of the problems I could run in to if I was needing it repaired, And plus I did not fancy using adapter plugs for the electrics, Plus I felt very uncomfortable at the thought of the soft furnishing not been made of a fire proof material.

That's when decided to buy a new Hobby caravan for a dealer in Scotland, If anything goes wrong with it you it's under warranty and you have a come back on it, You don't have any come back with a private second-hand caravan, Plus with a dealer you only get so many months of warranty with a second-caravan.

For what I paid in total for my caravan, That includes the awning, All the security devices, bedding, culturally, crockery and every thing else you need for starting off in the caravanning game, It still work out cheaper than I would have paid on it's own just for a similar British built Caravan at that spec and that build quality .

But I am no expert ,It is only my opinion.

Trbordee.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson.

Regarding your topic Why Buy A New Caravan.

I will tell you the reason as to why I bought a New Hobby Caravan, As to buying a second-hand Caravan.

As stated in my topic I am new to the caravanning scene.

I read up a lot on what to look out for when buying a second-hand caravan, And I went out looking at lot of second-hand caravans at dealers and could not see anything I liked, Plus the prices of some second-hand caravan both in the private market and at the dealers were a joke, For what they were asking for a caravan at between the ages of 2 to 8 year old vans, Some caravans were in good condition, some were in bad condition, But it did not stop some of them asking for silly money for some poor condition second-hand caravans.

Then after months of looking for a caravan, A friend mine had just bought a new German built Hobby caravan, So I went to have a look at it, And right a way I saw the caravan make, model & quality a I was looking for, Plus the second hand prices where reasonable, But there's only one problem it's very hard to get second-hand Hobby caravan with exact model that I wanted being to UK speck, A majority of the Hobby caravan in the second-hand market that I look at had been imported to this country privately, And after reading a lot of articles on Hobby caravans and some of the problems I could run in to if I was needing it repaired, And plus I did not fancy using adapter plugs for the electrics, Plus I felt very uncomfortable at the thought of the soft furnishing not been made of a fire proof material.

That's when decided to buy a new Hobby caravan for a dealer in Scotland, If anything goes wrong with it you it's under warranty and you have a come back on it, You don't have any come back with a private second-hand caravan, Plus with a dealer you only get so many months of warranty with a second-caravan.

For what I paid in total for my caravan, That includes the awning, All the security devices, bedding, culturally, crockery and every thing else you need for starting off in the caravanning game, It still work out cheaper than I would have paid on it's own just for a similar British built Caravan at that spec and that build quality .

But I am no expert ,It is only my opinion.

Trbordee.
And a very well-put opinion it is. Thank you trebordee. I must admit that if ever I were in the market for new(extremely unlikely, cos I love my Royale), I would probably buy a TEC.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
TreeborDee,

Sorry to hear that you were given the run around by your dealer, but I think that from your first topic that it wasn't the dealer but more the manufacturer causing the problem.

That said, I had excactly the oposite experience from my dealer, Chichester Caravans in Nutbourne, last year!

In July I ordered a new Bailey Indiana & was quoted a delivery of 2nd or 3rd week in September, as my holiday was already booked for the first 2 weeks of September I tried to get the build date brought forward, but even after talking to Bailey's, who very politely explained that the caravan was being built to order and that was the very earliest build date possible, but they promised that if any of the earlier built ones became a cancelled order, they would be in touch.

Any way, Just before I went on holiday, the dealer contacted me to confirm the delivery date of the new van, which was going to be week commencing 11th Sept, the second week of our holiday, but also asked if I would be prepared to wait untill November as they had someone who was desperate to get an Indiana (I subsequently recieved, via the dealer, a thank you note from the people who bought this van)As we had booked and would have taken our main holiday in the existing van, & after consulting SWMBO I said OK & I was given a new delivery date of week com 13th November.

It duly arrived at the dealer on the 14th Nov & I took delivery on the 17th, and so far am absolutely delighted with the service, pre & post delivery!

GeorgeB

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi George.

This is regarding my first topic I listed, Regarding the problem I am having with the delivery of my Caravan.

I would agree with you in your case that the manufacturer was at fault for the late delivery of your caravan.

But in my case it is not the manufacturer that is at fault, It is the dealer, As of yet I have still not received my caravan, And yes I am still getting told from the dealer the caravan will be here " next week ".

Now I have had been touch with the Trading Standards Office and they have given me some really good advice, And told me what my rights were, Plus what to do to get my deposit it back.

Because I did not get a confirmed date when I first ordered the caravan, I have write to the dealer requesting a confirmed date of delivery with in ten days of sending the letter by registered mail or I will be cancelling the caravan and asking for a full refund, For which I am in the process of doing at the moment.

It's a long drawing out process, But when you consider the length of time I have waited for my caravan, What difference will another two to three weeks make.

And your right, The next time I order a new caravan from a dealer I will be asking for a confirmed delivery date, For which will cover me legally and gives you the right to get your deposit back from the dealer for not delivering on time no matter what there excuses are, According to the Trading Standards. It's the dealer responsibility for getting you the caravan not the manufacturer, After all the dealer is the one you place the order with, Not the manufacturer.

Now when you think of it they are right, Because if wee were able to order direct from the caravan manufactures them self's you would not need any dealers would wee.

Robert.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We brought a new caravan since we were new to caravanning and wanted the reassurance offered by the 3 & 6 years warranties, since we have heard about the pitfalls such as damp etc.

This proved useful when the gas regulator failed but when the dealer noticed 80% damp in the panel on its first service - their tune changes and they take hard line stance to blame the manufacturer and ignore your legal rights, perhaps in hindsight to spend

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts