New EHU Wiring Regulations

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just spotted something else in the document in Woodentop's link...I know we're only seeing one bit of a bigger document, but in the section relating to the hook-up lead it says

"The means of connecting the caravan to the pitch socket-outlet should be provided with the caravan. This must have a plug at one end complying with BS EN 60309-2, a flexible cable with a continuous length of 25 m (±2 m)."

Does that mean that those of us who carry a shorter mains lead, to use when we're closer to the bollard, won't be able to use it any more?
CAMC for a long time have banned cable splitters and joiners

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
CAMC for a long time have banned cable splitters and joiners
I know, but I was asking about using a single length of less than 25 metres, when I'm close enough to the bollard to not need the full 25.

For clarity, when I DO need the 25 metre mains lead, I have a single length 25m lead that I use

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I know, but I was asking about using a single length of less than 25 metres, when I'm close enough to the bollard to not need the full 25.

For clarity, when I DO need the 25 metre mains lead, I have a single length 25m lead that I use
I see. Not sure what the regs say on that.I assume 25 metres is the max not the min. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see. Not sure what the regs say on that.I assume 25 mates is the max not the min. Anyone know?
The above post quotes 25m -+2m, but cannot imagine there is a minimum although if people use two cables joined the club may start to clamp down. Raises the question of using short converter leads when abroad 🤣or overseas visitors using UK EHU. But as it’s not retrospective the existing long standing arrangements will be around for many years to come.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The above post quotes 25m -+2m, but cannot imagine there is a minimum although if people use two cables joined the club may start to clamp down. Raises the question of using short converter leads when abroad 🤣or overseas visitors using UK EHU. But as it’s not retrospective the existing long standing arrangements will be around for many years to come.
We have been on CLs where we have had no option except to join two cables due to the location of the single bollard which serves 4 units .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have been on CLs where we have had no option except to join two cables due to the location of the single bollard which serves 4 units .
I know; I have been in the. same position, but I was specifically referring to the Club (sites), whereas CLs are responsible for their own installations, albeit no doubt following Club guidance and periodic inspection. but like most changes this one will be implemented and become the norm as time moves on, and interest will lapse and move on to something new.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know; I have been in the. same position, but I was specifically referring to the Club (sites), whereas CLs are responsible for their own installations, albeit no doubt following Club guidance and periodic inspection. but like most changes this one will be implemented and become the norm as time moves on, and interest will lapse and move on to something new.
Anyone remember the fiasco a few years ago when the NCCgot some silly idea they you would need to produce an electrical certificate or similar when booking onto a site. The NCC then got all the AWS to attend one of their courses at great expense to the AWS technician.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anyone remember the fiasco a few years ago when the NCCgot some silly idea they you would need to produce an electrical certificate or similar when booking onto a site. The NCC then got all the AWS to attend one of their courses at great expense to the AWS technician.
Yes I well remember that "initiative" which I think some well meaning meeting dragged across from domestic requirements for rented properties. Our daughter lives in a house owned by us so we have a 5 yearly electrical safety check, plus annual gas safety certificate, and to complete the circle I have even carried out a risk assessment for Legionnaires too. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The new regs described by CAMC are only for new installations and I must assume replacements of existing. Not retrospective .
The main thrust seems to be the interlocking requirement. The maximum cable length 25 metres has not changed.
I’d still like to know how many resets a MCB can take?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When I think about it we were on a site last year that had been completely revamped. The new hook ups required you to plug in and then move a lever to the side which locked the plug in before it would work. You had to move it back to release the plug and that cut off the power. Must have been built to the new standard.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Yet another example of "Nanny knows best"
I wonder how many people have died using a chainsaw? I bet it a lot more than people plugging into/out of an EHU bollard!

But you can purchase and use a chainsaw without having to undergo any training :rolleyes:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Not only that, look at the Part P regs that came in around 2007. They were to stop untrained people doing wiring and others dying or being injured as a result.

It turned out that in the previous year nationally four people had died and 20 had suffered injury as a result of wiring faults ALL of which were made by qualified electricians!

Jobs for the boys anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts