New Elddis Avante 840 on seasonal pitch next year

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi, just ordered a new Elddis Avante 840 to be put on a seasonal pitch near Malvern, Worcs next Spring. Any tips for seasonal camping would be much appreciated. Need to look at security and insurance and then awning. Thank you

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We have never tried seasonal camping so cannot help a lot with that. The caravan though has no rear window so if you want as much sun as possible try to get a South facing pitch.
For security the ALKO wheel lock is the most secure although it can need some positioning to fit. After that my suggestion is the Nemisis but whatever you get go for Sold Secure Gold.
Assuming you are not in one of the big clubs who have arguably the best insurance policies I would look at LV, NFU, SAGA and Safeguard as being some of the best and most reliable. Avoid the cheapest because as with most things you do get what you pay for and many cheaper policies are not up to the standard needed.
As for awnings this is very much a matter of what you feel you will need. My feeling is that you should try using the caravan without one and see if you need a lot or little extra room and then look at what is available.
They came as full or porch awnings. Full awnings run the entire length of the caravan and need to be the correct size for your caravan. The awning size needed will be in the handbook.
Porch awnings can be as small or large as you want up to the length of the caravan. They do have the advantage that should you change the caravan then it should still fit the new one. Do check the length you need though, and make sure that the end is not across a window.
There are two basic types, which can either use conventional poles or air inflation. Air inflation is quicker and easier to put up but some are less stable in bad weather and can be subject to punctures although this does not seem to be a major problem. The choice is vast and quality is usually the difference with the higher priced ones being better but your budget may affect this.
Hope all goes well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello QV4,

Raywood used to work in insurance so his suggestions should be taken seriously, But I would suggest most strongly that the first thing you do is to sort out the insurance before you take delivery of the caravan, as new caravans are a favourite target for those less well intentioned members of society who like to relocate other peoples property without their permission!

Sadly there was one news report not so long ago where a couple took delivery of brand new caravan, and within 48 hours it had been taken. With no insurance in place they said they lost £30K. with no means of reclaiming any of it.

The other reason I think it should be very clear on your insurance, is that the insurerer may have certain stipulations in their terms and conditions about what security measures you MUST take for the cover to be valid. And I have to say that some policies may not let you keep the caravan on a holiday site becasue its security measures may not be adequate for the insurer- so do check before you jump.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You wil need to check that the site allows awnings whilst the caravan is not being occupied. If they do try to find a sheltered spot where the prevailing wind isn’t directly onto the awning. (Easier said than done in some cases especially if you want a particular orientation fir sun or sat or view )

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for the comprehensive replies and top tips. Was definitely going to get insurance under way and then buy required extra security (and maybe more). Very excited and hopefully some sensible planning will negate any obvious negatives :)

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hiya, we our doing our first seasonal pitch in Lancaster from March. I can't wait!

Awning wise, I currently have a porch air awning. I plan to make do with it. If no high winds are forecast, I will leave it up, if they are I will take it down. I have used in some pretty decent windy spells, and its been spot on, so hopefully it will hold up well. From what i can gather, not many people use air awnings on seasonal pitches.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think that is down to the quality of the fabric to withstand long term exposure to the sun and rain. Many seasonal awnings are of durable canvas, such as Ten Cate. Sun exposure can deteriorate fabrics as badly as wind and rain. Depending on the quality of your inflatable awning, you may well get a season or two out of it though. If you are visiting regularly you can keep it pumped up, and at least in strong winds you won't have the risk of metal poles hitting the van.
Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just realised that I was replying to James post not the OP. Welcome to the forum Queen Victoria. We have a van on a seasonal pitch. Best tip I can give is to read the contract carefully so you know what you can and cannot do. There were no nasty surprises in ours but the site owners are very clear about what you can and cannot leave outside your van. I am glad about this having seen some seasonal pitches on other sites where there is so much tat around and under vans it is an eyesore.
My second tip is that it easy to keep putting stuff in the van as you haven't got to watch weight. Every so often, have a clear out.
Enjoy
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts