New elddis with faults

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dometic have stated that the fridges have to be cooled first. The 12v should then retain the temperature. They state that the 12v will not cool down any fridge. The latter I got second hand from someone who had the same issue with the their fridge and contacted Dometic.
However I was told exactly the same thing by Thetford when I contacted Thetford. The Thetford fridge kept the fridge cool and food frozen . The 12v keeps the fridge at a constant temperature below the ambient temperature and will not cool down a fridge. In our case it is doing neither with our Dometic RM8551 fridge.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
This mirrors the position I was in 4 years ago. Sadly I took the same view as the OP plus the dealer seemed very keen to put everything right. Of course it doesn't get put right and the faults just keep getting worse or recurring. Now in litigation but would have been much easier to have followed the path advised on earlier posts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grahamh said:
This mirrors the position I was in 4 years ago. Sadly I took the same view as the OP plus the dealer seemed very keen to put everything right. Of course it doesn't get put right and the faults just keep getting worse or recurring. Now in litigation but would have been much easier to have followed the path advised on earlier posts.

Four years and in litigation? Are you using UK consumer protection legislation via a solicitor as surely a claim via the Small Claims court wouldn’t have taken that long.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Dometic have stated that the fridges have to be cooled first. The 12v should then retain the temperature. They state that the 12v will not cool down any fridge. The latter I got second hand from someone who had the same issue with the their fridge and contacted Dometic.
However I was told exactly the same thing by Thetford when I contacted Thetford. The Thetford fridge kept the fridge cool and food frozen . The 12v keeps the fridge at a constant temperature below the ambient temperature and will not cool down a fridge. In our case it is doing neither with our Dometic RM8551 fridge.

I agree that fridges work best if allowed to cool down before items are stored in them, and yes Dometic do suggest a 12Hour pre cool, but no where in the user manual I have found on line do they say in they say do not use 12V to cool it down.

https://www.caravanfridges.co.uk/pdf-manuals/rm-rms-rml-operation-manual.pdf
Logically as all the fuel sources apply heat to the same part of the refrigerators absorption system, and the amount of heat is similar, then why on earth should one source be unsuitable when the other two are doing the identical job?

There is absolutely nothing to prevent it from cooling down using 12Vdc , but it may be impractical for caravanners to do.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This topic is in danger of being railroaded into a debate about fridges.
If a user wants to discuss his fridge that is fine, start a new topic for that subject.

This topic is about a caravan with numerous faults from new.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
This topic is in danger of being railroaded into a debate about fridges.
If a user wants to discuss his fridge that is fine, start a new topic for that subject.

This topic is about a caravan with numerous faults from new.

In case the moderator missed it, it was the OP that raised the issue of the 12v on their fridge and P John & myself replied regarding the 12v on the fridge and how it behaves. IMHO this is constructive to the thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts