New end washroom/Single Axle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have read about the new models, Bailey California, Swift 570, Lunar Lexon SE, Sterling Ruby etc etc.

They look really good but some have a slightly larger washroom and the advantage of the chest of drawers at the front with table for 2 persons so you don't have to get big table out all the time. Just wondered is the washroom large enough to get dressed in (average size people!) and is there enough worktop space as the TV looks as though it goes on small side dresser which just leaves tiny space next to sink for kettle etc? Caravanning always means compromise, and the wardrobe is next to the bed so you have to remember to take your clothes into the washroom with you (if you have guests or other family staying etc) just wondered what the day to day living in one of these new designs was like, very few dealers in South East England have them on their forecourts.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Have seen the Bailey which looks good and there was an article on the Swift where the table is stored under the bed,dont like that as we have chairs and water containers there,my friend has a Luner Quasar and he calls it leaky Lunar so there is only the Bailey for us,got to see where the table goes on that one now.

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Explorer Group are also releasing this layout soon.

Compass Omega/Elddis Odysey 550. They are also going to be kitted out with 2010 specification.

Chris

Turriff Caravans

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi

My husband and I have the Bailey Pageant Sancerre, went for this model due to the weight as don't have 4x4, the bathroom not as wide as others, you are rigth in saying its all compramise, we ordered ours at the NEC so were spoilt that we could look at most of the models all under the same roof,

Bathroom OK, fine for used shower and room to dress, although my brother at 6'6" would struggle, we can use to dress but we tend to keep the door across by the fixed bed closed which gives you additional room.

Kitchen area, I normally keep the kettle between sink and hob.

The Sancerre comes as standard with U shaped lounge we had a central chest installed as we prefer to use the small table rather than open large table everytime, plus wanted extra drawer space.

Been out four times so far and still happy with layout, hope this helps, sorry can't help with dealers in your area as we live south west.

Di

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Have seen the Bailey which looks good and there was an article on the Swift where the table is stored under the bed,dont like that as we have chairs and water containers there,my friend has a Luner Quasar and he calls it leaky Lunar so there is only the Bailey for us,got to see where the table goes on that one now.
Deli Dave

Table in Sancerre is stored in cupboard between fridge and oven, also have nifty flaps giving bigger table.

Di

Dec 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

As regular readers might know, I've got a Pageant Sancerre at the moment. As you say there are some bigger washrooms out there, but the Bailey is pretty good at being lowish weight while still feeling roomy inside. I always wash and dress in the washroom no problem, bar the odd stubbed toe. But that's a risk that you take in any washroom really, including my bathroom at home.

I keep my TV on the nearside. It takes up the whole area as you say, but is great for watching TV at night as it's visible from the lounge and the bed. The kitchen worktop is big enough for preparing simple meals, although i keep splashing the sofa while trying to balance washing up on the removable drainer. And i use a whistling kettle on the hob, so that saves space.

Genuinely i can't really fault it too much. It's been great. Interestingly, I've not felt the ATC come on at any point while towing. However, when I return the van to Bailey I've been told that Al-Ko can trace the ATC history. By plugging it in, they can download a full history of when it has engaged. Should be interesting...

Mark Bigault

Features editor

Practical Caravan

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lorraine

If you read the new Baily California artical you will find many comments there on new end bathroom s/a vans.

I am 6ft 2" and weigh 19 stone bathroom is small but i manage to shower dress shave what ever.

The tv in the Bailey California fits on the wall between bedroom and lounge and can be swung round for night veiwing in bed so dresser not used.

We have front chest so we consider that ok for us.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

As regular readers might know, I've got a Pageant Sancerre at the moment. As you say there are some bigger washrooms out there, but the Bailey is pretty good at being lowish weight while still feeling roomy inside. I always wash and dress in the washroom no problem, bar the odd stubbed toe. But that's a risk that you take in any washroom really, including my bathroom at home.

I keep my TV on the nearside. It takes up the whole area as you say, but is great for watching TV at night as it's visible from the lounge and the bed. The kitchen worktop is big enough for preparing simple meals, although i keep splashing the sofa while trying to balance washing up on the removable drainer. And i use a whistling kettle on the hob, so that saves space.

Genuinely i can't really fault it too much. It's been great. Interestingly, I've not felt the ATC come on at any point while towing. However, when I return the van to Bailey I've been told that Al-Ko can trace the ATC history. By plugging it in, they can download a full history of when it has engaged. Should be interesting...

Mark Bigault

Features editor

Practical Caravan
Mark, it would be interesting to see the results of an ATC download. (We'll all be able to tell how well you load the van and handle the outfit. lol.)

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Coachman are doing a version of this layout for 2010, see their website, though I would think it will be mega heavy.

As for ATC I only ever feel mine kick in when i'm pulling out of cambered roundabouts too quickly!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for pointing out the realities of living in one of these new design caravans. The Bailiey California sounds interesting but we have an 19" new television (digital with 12v)would this fit onto the TV shelf that swivels round? The California is heavier than the Sancere. Has anybody tried the other manufacturers? Also, we have a new Coachman which is lovely but I can't get on with the layout (small rear washroom in back corner next to fixed bed) and the detachable draining board is driving me mad! Do any of these layouts have a fitted draining board/sink? I agree, a new Coachman in this layout will probably be very heavy. The most annoying thing is we had already ordered our new Coachman and just before delivery all these new layouts started appearing which look so much better. I wish we had known! I haven't seen one yet with fitted draining board and still space for an electric kettle or does anyone know if there is one?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

My husband and I took delivery of the new Lunar Lexon SE in April after visiting the NEC in February and we are very pleased with it.

There is only the two of us so the layout suits us well. There is plenty of room in the bathroom and you can close the bedroom door to get changed if you have family with you.

We have a removeable drainer, which you could place over the sink for extra space if need be but we never need to:)

Overall, we are really pleased with our new van.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
We should have taken delivery of a Lunar Lexon SE yesterday, but rejected it on the grounds of appalling build quality. We looked at the three at the NEC. We discounted the Bailey products immediately (for reasons I'll not go into, not wishing to offend any Bailey owners), and the Swift because of its weight. The Lunar seemed to be the best compromise of the three, hence the order. We now have a vehicle capable of towing heavier caravans, so for us I'm sure it will be a Coachman next year. As for the Lunar, it was promised with an aluminium bed base, but arrived with an awful MDF version which was already falling apart. The plastic trim on shelves looked like it had been cut with a knife and fork. Also, can anyone explain why heater ducting goes outside into the cold rather than being routed around the inside of the bed base? Lunar aren't alone in this.

Jun 5, 2009
Visit site
We picked up our new Bailey Senator California 2 weeks ago and have no regrets. Have stuck by Elddis with our last 2 vans and we were dubious about changing brands. We were very pleased with the quality and finish of the Elddis vans but were swayed by the layout, spec and relative light weight of the Bailey. Having seen the Swift versions of the same layout I have to say IMO they feel smaller at the front lounge area- maybe its just the darker wood but they are also heavier.

We are extremely pleased with all aspects of the Bailey and have yet to find anything that we are dissapointed with or miss from the Elddis.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
We have a new Sterling Ruby, Van is absolutely brill. The shower is more than ample, and the changing area also, (I am 6ft 90Kgs).

Also the front end offers more area than the others. I would recommend it to anyone!!

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Getting our Swift Fairway 550 at 11.00 today. Really looking forwrd to this.

Don't use the TV for viewing from the bed, so a 19 inch should be ok to fit in the drop down shelf but only for use from the front of the van.

Will report back later.

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Back home after collecting the 550 yesterday and staying at a local site to check things out (paid for by the dealer) Just a couple of small minor things which needed attention but these were done within a matter of minutes when we returned this morning.

Extremely happy with the quality and layout. Great shower and good size washroom, although as there are only the two of use we will use the bedroom area to chenge.

Would highly recommend the van and dealer. Lorraine if you have any questions please ask. Demo models should be around soon.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
we had no intentions of changing our 2 1/2 year old coachman vip 530/4 as its been absolutely faultless but having seen the artists impresion of the new 560/4 layout we will be in the dealers come september when it is launched in the pastiche model. the amara is launched one month later but unfortunately the vip is yet to be announced, having said this the vip and pastiche are so similar that we are not bothered which we haveour vip was only purchased over the pastiche as the dealer had it in stock and reduced the price accordingly.

i personally can not see it being too much heavier than the current models so if your ok towing a coachman at the moment you should be fine with the new models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts