New EU rules to create further delays

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I recall that some years ago on a ferry crossing from where to where I can't remember, only the driver was allowed to drive through passport control. All the other occupants of the car were treated as foot passengers and had to go through immigration as such. I could imagine that sort of thing could be implemented here to reduce the queues of cars on arrival at the port of entry.
Doesn't that just create a queue of cars waiting to be reunited with their passengers?

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recall that some years ago on a ferry crossing from where to where I can't remember, only the driver was allowed to drive through passport control. All the other occupants of the car were treated as foot passengers and had to go through immigration as such. I could imagine that sort of thing could be implemented here to reduce the queues of cars on arrival at the port of entry.
It will get sorted I’m sure. The trials are looking at portable scanners which may be installed on the ships or trains. But just imagine a port where a couple of large cruise liners arrive and 3-5000 people need to go ashore. There will be those who will go ashore on the ships arranged excursions and those who prefer independent excursions. So it’s not just caravanning and Motorhome users that have to be considered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am pleased be informed that we will not be delayed when the ferry arrives with 500 vehicles on board and an average of probably 2 or maybe more people in each vehicle and that it will be no different. Also I never thought of The Times being a tabloid newspaper?
Now really looking forward to our holiday in France and the safety precautions the EU are implementing to protect every one. I am so glad we have to go through the process and I am happy. Yahoo! :ROFLMAO:
Don’t forget that UK have plans for a similar system as at present our ability to keep check on entry and exit is woeful. The only saving grace is that ours will probably be years away from implementing.

• Haha
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It will get sorted I’m sure. The trials are looking at portable scanners which may be installed on the ships or trains. But just imagine a port where a couple of large cruise liners arrive and 3-5000 people need to go ashore. There will be those who will go ashore on the ships arranged excursions and those who prefer independent excursions. So it’s not just caravanning and Motorhome users that have to be considered.
TBH I cannot see foot passengers being an issue as they are walking in a particular direction to leave by the exit so in one side and out the other, but passengers in cars will need to get out for photograph and fingerprints even with remote scanners.
I am not sure whether other countries would be happy to open their database on photographs for what is a foreign country i.e. EU. I think it could be difficult to scan the photo on a current British passport at point of entry. For the first 2 - 3 years there may be very long queues however after that many will be returnees and could leave by the different exit, but if the EES is only valid for a certain period, further issues could be caused.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... I think it could be difficult to scan the photo on a current British passport at point of entry. ...
Why should it be difficult to scan a british passport? They've been scanning photo's in other countries passports for years at the airports. WHilst there is no international regulations regarding the form of a passport, there is a general accord concerning the size and pose of passport photographs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why should it be difficult to scan a british passport? They've been scanning photo's in other countries passports for years at the airports. WHilst there is no international regulations regarding the form of a passport, there is a general accord concerning the size and pose of passport photographs.
Have you got a current British passport? My 2015 red passport the phot has circular lines running across the picture plus other embedded security marks.
My wife's passport issued last year has security embedded in the main photo which shows a big mark and the other photo has a number of pin holes down the side of it. I doubt very much if the photo from either passport would be clear if scanned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only place that I encountered a problem was at Heathrow. I went to go into the E scan queue and was asked by the agent if I had ever used E scan before. I said “ no” which then led her to tell me to join the long line of arrivals queuing for the normal border check desk. She wouldn’t accept a logical point that if I was diverted from using the E scanner then my answer would always be “ no” .. Lesson learnt was to always thereafter say “ yes” and use E scanner. But the scan process here or abroad has always been quite rapid and trouble free.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have you got a current British passport? My 2015 red passport the phot has circular lines running across the picture plus other embedded security marks.
My wife's passport issued last year has security embedded in the main photo which shows a big mark and the other photo has a number of pin holes down the side of it. I doubt very much if the photo from either passport would be clear if scanned.
It must be E readable as when you re enter UK the Border Force predominantly use an E scanner on there desk top. Mines the same and its been on overseas visits without problem. The markings area part of the security and verification data held on the passport, so its not just the face that is read.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The picture only needs to be clear enough to confirm the identity of the carrier. Its not a picture to hang on the wall.

When its scanned the image will be good enough for its purposes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The picture only needs to be clear enough to confirm the identity of the carrier. Its not a picture to hang on the wall.

When its scanned the image will be good enough for its purposes.
The scan at the entry point is to identify that the passport has not been tampered with and is still original and not put a photo into a database. I would think that different technology would needed to be used hence have to leave vehicle to be photographed and fingerprinted.
The thread is about the delays that may result and make others aware that there may be delays in future when travelling into the EU by vehicle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly France and a few other countries rely on the tourist industry too much to keep up the sort of thing suggested. If they do they know they will loose the valuable foreign currency we bring and their tourist industry will suffer badly. I suspect things will o beck to near where they were as time goes on but if not it is the EU countries who will suffer while we bolster our economy by staying home. The tourist industry has too much power for any real problem to continue although Macron hates us so who knows, he may be awkward out of spite, although how long he will be there is open to some doubt..

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Good idea but wouldn't cars still need to park up to wait for the foot passengers? I think the idea is great and hope the UK does the same, but not in retaliation. Obviously will not stop people crossing borders, but if they are involved in any criminal activity it may be easier to catch them.
The car (and perhaps the caravan) plus its driver will probably take longer to go through customs clearance than foot passengers who will have no more than hand luggage. They can be cleared through customs a lot quicker than vehicles with all their contents. It's therefore unlikely that the car and its driver will have to wait very long for the other occupants.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Frankly France and a few other countries rely on the tourist industry too much to keep up the sort of thing suggested. If they do they know they will loose the valuable foreign currency we bring and their tourist industry will suffer badly. I suspect things will o beck to near where they were as time goes on but if not it is the EU countries who will suffer while we bolster our economy by staying home. The tourist industry has too much power for any real problem to continue although Macron hates us so who knows, he may be awkward out of spite, although how long he will be there is open to some doubt..
Sorry it’s not an anti British move by the EU /France etc it is applicable to anyone visiting from a Third Country which is what we became after Brexit. If you read the list if Third Countries many of them also have many tourists visiting the EU. Albeit few others arrive with a caravan in tow.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Whatever the delay - real or imagined. And however Macron views us - as friend or foe. I will continue to travel to or through France and enjoy Europe as always.
Can't get hot and bothered about perceived issues that may never come to light, nor try to suggest ways to ameliorate such nebulous issues.
Maybe I'm just too simple!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
And however Macron views us - as friend or foe. I will continue to travel to or through France and enjoy Europe as always.

It's not something that Macron conjured up anyway. It's an EU decision reached by all member countries. I don't even know whether France was in the front line of the proposal to introduce the scheme in the first place.

Frankly France and a few other countries rely on the tourist industry too much to keep up the sort of thing suggested. If they do they know they will loose the valuable foreign currency we bring and their tourist industry will suffer badly.

Much as they appreciate custom from UK holidaymakers, they can make up losses by having more visitors from other countries within the EU. This has already been the case recently in Spain while UK visitors were prevented from coming due to Covid restrictions. There were a lot more French, German and Dutch visitors during that time.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Sorry it’s not an anti British move by the EU /France etc it is applicable to anyone visiting from a Third Country which is what we became after Brexit. If you read the list if Third Countries many of them also have many tourists visiting the EU. Albeit few others arrive with a caravan in tow.
Well said, it's what we won, so now time to own it and stop blaming the EU for something the UK imposed on itself

Reactions: Johnb
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Much as they appreciate custom from UK holidaymakers, they can make up losses by having more visitors from other countries within the EU. This has already been the case recently in Spain while UK visitors were prevented from coming due to Covid restrictions. There were a lot more French, German and Dutch visitors during that time.

We were in France from last week in August through September last year.

The Mediterranean was as busy as I've ever seen it. Of course many UK residents will have done as we did but having said that some will have felt the risks too great and not travelled.

Sites that usually take many UK visitors (such as Beaune) were almost empty of UK outfits/motorhomes. We stopped in Beaune to have our covid jabs prior to return to the UK. There was one other UK family there.

Prior to Beaune we were at Cassis where we didn't see any other UK presence over a 6 day stop.

Have to say that with the loss of some (and I emphasise SOME) UK travelers, France will not immediately move into recession. There are quite enough EU citizens to fill any vacant emplacements/apartments etc.

Whilst some who were against Brexit for many reasons, but including freedom of travel, may feel aggrieved at the new hurdles they will now have to jump, surely those who gave their vote to leave the EU will not only have foreseen such constraints but have felt them worth suffering! Obviously there will be a group who expect to have their cake and eat it or, just maybe, maybe are only now realising the new status of the UK and subsequent constraints!

My European trips, and those I'm sure of many others, will not cease as a result of the EU taking back control!
If there are irritations then, for me, any such annoyances will soon be forgotten as I soak up the culture of the EU countries. What a privilege it is to be able to travel, as many do, and enjoy the diversity of culture found on our doorstep. A short wait at arrival or departure is a price worth paying although not one I brought about.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We were in France from last week in August through September last year.

The Mediterranean was as busy as I've ever seen it. Of course many UK residents will have done as we did but having said that some will have felt the risks too great and not travelled.

Sites that usually take many UK visitors (such as Beaune) were almost empty of UK outfits/motorhomes. We stopped in Beaune to have our covid jabs prior to return to the UK. There was one other UK family there.

Prior to Beaune we were at Cassis where we didn't see any other UK presence over a 6 day stop.

Have to say that with the loss of some (and I emphasise SOME) UK travelers, France will not immediately move into recession. There are quite enough EU citizens to fill any vacant emplacements/apartments etc.

Whilst some who were against Brexit for many reasons, but including freedom of travel, may feel aggrieved at the new hurdles they will now have to jump, surely those who gave their vote to leave the EU will not only have foreseen such constraints but have felt them worth suffering! Obviously there will be a group who expect to have their cake and eat it or, just maybe, maybe are only now realising the new status of the UK and subsequent constraints!

My European trips, and those I'm sure of many others, will not cease as a result of the EU taking back control!
If there are irritations then, for me, any such annoyances will soon be forgotten as I soak up the culture of the EU countries. What a privilege it is to be able to travel, as many do, and enjoy the diversity of culture found on our doorstep. A short wait at arrival or departure is a price worth paying although not one I brought about.
From a moderators point of view, this post that I've quoted is like the Curates Egg - good in parts.
We don't need slightly inflammatory comments either for or against with regard to Brexit.
It's done and dusted, so any further discussion will have to take place elsewhere.
My intervention here is intended to n ip any further conversations about the pros and cons of Britain's decision to leave the EU in the bud on this forum.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......at least Johnb comments were enhanced by practical experiences of travelling with a caravan to Europe since Brexit.
I found his post to be a welcome counter to several posts critical of President Macron the French and the EU.
These derogatory posts have largely been made by forum members who have never posted about taking their caravan abroad and have no useful experience.
UK caravanners who wish to take there caravan to Europe now have to cope with borders that simply haven't existed for some 40 years.

I for one am grateful for knowledgeable experiences shared.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
From a moderators point of view, this post that I've quoted is like the Curates Egg - good in parts.
We don't need slightly inflammatory comments either for or against with regard to Brexit.
It's done and dusted, so any further discussion will have to take place elsewhere.
My intervention here is intended to n ip any further conversations about the pros and cons of Britain's decision to leave the EU in the bud on this forum.

Apologies if I've overstepped the mark. I appreciate the ethos of this forum which, without doubt, results from moderation.

It's quite hard to avoid posting about travels in the EU without referencing some advantages and disadvantages to political changes. After all our lives are directed, like it or not, by the political arena we live within.

But, I will try harder in future and hope for a better "mark" than "good in parts!"

Just off to dig out my stiff while collar.

Keep up the great work Parksy. You ARE appreciated.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
......at least Johnb comments were enhanced by practical experiences of travelling with a caravan to Europe since Brexit.
I found his post to be a welcome counter to several posts critical of President Macron the French and the EU.
These derogatory posts have largely been made by forum members who have never posted about taking their caravan abroad and have no useful experience.
UK caravanners who wish to take there caravan to Europe now have to cope with borders that simply haven't existed for some 40 years.

I for one am grateful for knowledgeable experiences shared.
I'm sure that all forum members who travel to EU countries will be grateful for the good information supplied by John.
You are quite right about border changes that travellers to Europe need to deal with, hence my comment that the post is good in parts Bill.
Apologies if I've overstepped the mark. I appreciate the ethos of this forum which, without doubt, results from moderation.

It's quite hard to avoid posting about travels in the EU without referencing some advantages and disadvantages to political changes. After all our lives are directed, like it or not, by the political arena we live within.

But, I will try harder in future and hope for a better "mark" than "good in parts!"

Just off to dig out my stiff while collar.

Keep up the great work Parksy. You ARE appreciated.
No apology needed John, I'm guilty of using your post to add a marker for the future reference of all forum members who comment about Brexit.
It's true that it's a difficult subject to avoid, but knowing how these things can develop if left, my comment was merely a gentle warning that as a forum, it's best if we can be tactful about emotive issues.
Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much appreciated 😊

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Just a guess. But I would think the scanner would read the security information in order to bring up the information and true picture. But, having said that, my passport would not scan a one UK airport. They tried a few times. I was sent to a teem leader. He said I shoungbhave been told to remove my glasses, It works fine then.

So I guess the scan must work in conjunction with a camera.

I worked hard to get a good picture for my driving licence. What returned was a blurred pale ghostly image.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts