New family of austerity caravanners!

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
We come from 5 yrs with a VW T25 camper - touring the Scottish Islands with babies/toddlers and wild camping mainly - with Shetland a particular favourite.

Previously we both camped extensively before children - and returned to it with two under 5s last year - which was great - however we decided - instead of investing in a quality family tent - we would try a lightweight older caravan as we start to stay in one place a little longer - mainly west coast of scotland from our base in Inverness.

We purchased a 1988 ABI Maurader 430 CT late last year - only 635 kg and 215 kgavailble for kit. We tow with the family car a 1600 petrol Berlingo (1100 braked towing limit).Only £900 including an awning and a selection of kit made it comparable with a high quality tent, and seems very well cared for and has almost no damp so far (although I am sure it won't last.....) - intend to do a reseal of the obvious parts this summer ;-)

To us - this is camping with insulation and the ability to stand up or the VW with a bit more space but a bit less convenience on the road. At this stage in life - enjoying the outdoors with the boys in boats and on bikes - this works for us. We are happy with simple - so I can do the electrics on the van (lights and water pump only) - and pro fitted 240v side.

First trip was four days at Glenmore int he Cairngorms in the Feb half term - wonderful weather,expensive site - but very pleasant nonetheless with EHU and electric heater till I get the gas heater checked over.

Looking forward to several weeks away this year - mainly on smaller limited service sites in the North west of Scotland.

Hoping this forum is useful for tips and tricks, advice and ointers - like the ones I have used for the VW, Skoda and Renewable energy.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mikey, welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and congratulations on becoming a tin tenter
smiley-laughing.gif

It's nice to see someone thinking about how to enjoy our hobby without spending mega bucks and I'm sure that you and your family will enjoy using your ABI to continue to enjoy the great outdoors.
Because you have experienced wild camping in the past you might want to consider joining one of the clubs and giving their rallies a try.
The costs are usually minimal, the rallies attract young families and you will meet caravanners with a wealth of knowledge who will help you with any projects with your caravan that you undertake.
I hope that you will enjoy using this forum if you need to ask questions or find spare parts and I'm sure that we will enjoy reading about how you are getting on with the caravan.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mikey, and welcome. I love the idea of wild camping, but at our age, Herself and I enjoy the comforts of eletricity now!
My two children, now 46 & 48, were brought up with basic caravanning, and we had some wonderful holidays on our very limited budget. No TV then of course (we still don't have one now), but gaslit evenings round the Monopoly or Scrabble board provided much more entertainment and education than the kids ever could have got from a couple of hours of square eye!
Our caravanning is much more luxurious now, but we still have and use a 34 year old van and 20 year old car.
Go for it mate, and enjioy!

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Cheers both for the welcomes.AM glad to hear there are others on this board with a more basic level of caravanning too
smiley-smile.gif

We still subscribe to holidays including board games (top trumps and junior monopoly - and Mastermind believe it or not) are popular with both the 4 and 6 year old! Why else would you have tables at both ends of the van. We are not big ont he TV in this household - although it does exist...but no point taking it on holiday too.
We think that having an awning is luxury - with the campervan (we could never call it a motorhome) the first action on pitching up was always double bagging the child seats and trying to squeeze them as far under the van as possible - as we needed all the space we could use.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi mikey. Welcome to the forum and to caravanning. Now you have discovered the wonders of a van; a decent bed, own loo, off the cold hard ground.....who knows what tempting levels of comfort it will end in......welcome to the dark side.
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts