New for Old Insurance after 10 years??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello,

Our caravan will be 10 years old this year. It is currently insured NFO with the CC, but this has to cease now it is 10 years old. Does anyone know where we could insure it elsewhere now? We would rather pay more and have the peace of mind of knowing we would get a decent van in case we made a claim, rather than accept market value for our much loved van, which we know is not much.

Any ideas will be most welcome, thanks,

Debra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only suggest checking with a good independent broker who should be able to search from the whole market.

Beware tho' as the rules changed earlier this year and now there are "Tied Agents" (- ie salesmen tied to just one company - CIS and NFU being good examples) and now "Multi-tied agents" who can decide to have agencies with more than one company BUT CRUCIALY they are not independent and so do not research the whole market.

You need to check their status carefully.

Whilst I do not deal with "General Insurance" - I think you will find it difficult to find an insurer that will provide new for old cover on a ten year old caravan.

I think you may be better off looking at an "Agreed Value" policy - I have one of these on a classic car but I have not heard of this for caravans.

However a good independent broker should be able to help. You can insure anything with the right help. If you can insure yourself against alien abduction (You can!) I am sure someone will be willing to quote.

Jun 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Ive just renewed my insurance with Saga on their Gold Cover. New for old cover for up to 12 years old, cost a bit more but well worth it best insurance around as Ive checked out plenty

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How can you get a new caravan that is 10+ years old ?

Its hard enough to get spares for current models.

But seriously how would it work.

Is the van insured for the price of a new similar sized van or would the small print bring some surprises in the event of a total loss?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I was thinking the same John. If I could buy a ten year old 'van and insure it new for old I could get rich in about six months. Richer sorry. Richer.

Feb 14, 2006
Visit site
I was thinking the same John. If I could buy a ten year old 'van and insure it new for old I could get rich in about six months. Richer sorry. Richer.
The MCIA covers vans for up to 15years old,but you have to be older then 30,:~) 08703661245 its in the practical caravan magazine,Caravan Guard was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only suggest checking with a good independent broker who should be able to search from the whole market.

Beware tho' as the rules changed earlier this year and now there are "Tied Agents" (- ie salesmen tied to just one company - CIS and NFU being good examples) and now "Multi-tied agents" who can decide to have agencies with more than one company BUT CRUCIALY they are not independent and so do not research the whole market.

You need to check their status carefully.

Whilst I do not deal with "General Insurance" - I think you will find it difficult to find an insurer that will provide new for old cover on a ten year old caravan.

I think you may be better off looking at an "Agreed Value" policy - I have one of these on a classic car but I have not heard of this for caravans.

However a good independent broker should be able to help. You can insure anything with the right help. If you can insure yourself against alien abduction (You can!) I am sure someone will be willing to quote.
Hello Clive,

Thank you very much for all your help. The Agreed Valuation policy seemed to be exactly what we are looking for, and we have since found an insurance company who offer this, thanks to your advice.

Thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How can you get a new caravan that is 10+ years old ?

Its hard enough to get spares for current models.

But seriously how would it work.

Is the van insured for the price of a new similar sized van or would the small print bring some surprises in the event of a total loss?
Hi John,

Yes our caravan is insured for the same make, layout etc only new, rather than 10 years old. If we had to replace our van, we would never find one which is in the same condition as ours, besides, there aren't many left. We like the peace of mind of New For Old. It's no different to everybody's household insurance, after all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts