New Highway Code on the way.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Department for Transport are planning to include the "Dutch reach" in the new Highway Code, but do you understand what the "Dutch reach" requires every driver to do?.

I googled it. What have people been doing previously? The mind boggles. What 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫writes this rubbish😜

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Or whether any of us can remember it. When my kids were learning to drive and had to do a theory test, there were some practice ones online. I had a go. Didn’t do very well 🤔😞
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Or whether any of us can remember it. When my kids were learning to drive and had to do a theory test, there were some practice ones online. I had a go. Didn’t do very well 🤔😞
Mel
Something for a Woosie Quiz perhaps😜😜

Reactions: Mel
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just checked the Dutch Reach and it is what I thought. Doubt my ingrained idea of using my right hand can now be changed. it is just habit.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mel
I would have to agree i am not good at theory test myself but so you not on your own :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Department for Transport are planning to include the "Dutch reach" in the new Highway Code, but do you understand what the "Dutch reach" requires every driver to do?.

I googled it. What have people been doing previously? The mind boggles. What 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫writes this rubbish😜
I had no idea what the Dutch Reach was until I Googled it. I read it that cyclists are not paying enough attention to their surroundings and this results in an accident when a motorists opens the driver door. Going by this would indicate that many motorists have the driver door taken off by another motorist when they opened the driver's door.
Surely if the cyclist is paying attention to his surroundings he should notice in many cases that the vehicle is occupied and also when passing parked cars give them a wider berth than normal knowing that someone could open their door.
Also I have seen cyclists with head down and going hell for leather down roads weaving in and out of traffic. They also need to read and understand the Highway Code as some seem to ignore it. Luckily they seem to be in the minority.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had no idea what the Dutch Reach was until I Googled it. I read it that cyclists are not paying enough attention to their surroundings and this results in an accident when a motorists opens the driver door. Going by this would indicate that many motorists have the driver door taken off by another motorist when they opened the driver's door.
Surely if the cyclist is paying attention to his surroundings he should notice in many cases that the vehicle is occupied and also when passing parked cars give them a wider berth than normal knowing that someone could open their door.
Also I have seen cyclists with head down and going hell for leather down roads weaving in and out of traffic. They also need to read and understand the Highway Code as some seem to ignore it. Luckily they seem to be in the minority.
Surely its a two part issue, and the motorist has significant responsibility. After all it is the motorist who is opening their door into the traffic stream.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As a cyclist, yes I still ride, I was taught to leave a yard from any parked car for fear of a door opening. This was more so on a motorcycle. Nothing new but amazing it’s taken some HMG person to think of it😉😉😜

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely its a two part issue, and the motorist has significant responsibility. After all it is the motorist who is opening their door into the traffic stream.
Yes that is quite correct, but over the years on more than one occasion I have looked in the mirror, opened the door and almost collected cyclist probably due to them weaving in and out or traffic of riding so fast the between checking the mirror and opening the door they have appeared out of nowhere. Both parties need to vigilant.
I firmly believe that before a cyclist is allowed on the road they should also undergo some sort of theory test and this should apply to even a 5 year old youngster using a cycle for the first time on a road. It will then be ingrained into them from day one and also maybe make them more aware that pavements are for pedestrians and not cyclists!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a cyclist, yes I still ride, I was taught to leave a yard from any parked car for fear of a door opening. This was more so on a motorcycle. Nothing new but amazing it’s taken some HMG person to think of it😉😉😜
Around two years ago Wiltshire police were doing spot checks and stopping motorists who dint give cyclist sufficient space when passing them. But not so easy on the car door question. Having worked in and visited the Netherlands their approach to cyclist safety is well established after many years of cycling being a prime means of transport. But around Amsterdam station you are more likely to be hit by a bike rider than a tram. They don’t take prisoners if you venture into their section of road.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes that is quite correct, but over the years on more than one occasion I have looked in the mirror, opened the door and almost collected cyclist probably due to them weaving in and out or traffic of riding so fast the between checking the mirror and opening the door they have appeared out of nowhere. Both parties need to vigilant.
I firmly believe that before a cyclist is allowed on the road they should also undergo some sort of theory test and this should apply to even a 5 year old youngster using a cycle for the first time on a road. It will then be ingrained into them from day one and also maybe make them more aware that pavements are for pedestrians and not cyclists!
Most schools do run cycling proficiency courses at Primary level. It’s up to parents to send the children on the courses, and they need their own cycle. I taught my grandchildren to ride a bike, and have been on some lovely rides as they got older. Even as recently as lockdown. But I must admit riding along the lanes of the Wilts cycle way you need to be constantly alert to vehicles. Modern cars have such good handling and are quiet inside they can exceed the drivers ability to anticipate cyclists, horse riders etc around the next bend. During lockdowns it wasn’t such a problem but now traffic is back to normal I tend to stick to the town back roads or canal towpath.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In my part of North Wiltshire Sustrans use a lot of the disused railway tracks. You can almost go from Marlborough to Cirencester without seeing a car

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But I must admit riding along the lanes of the Wilts cycle way you need to be constantly alert to vehicles. Modern cars have such good handling and are quiet inside they can exceed the drivers ability to anticipate cyclists, horse riders etc around the next bend. During lockdowns it wasn’t such a problem but now traffic is back to normal I tend to stick to the town back roads or canal towpath.
Living in the countryside has its advantages, but can be a different story on weekends when some cyclists think they are competing in the Tour de la Worcestershire and are the new Bradley Wiggins and the whole road belongs to them.
Alternatively they ride next to one another having a good old chat on the country lanes making passing impossible. We have come across them 2 or even 3 abreast.
The other favourite is if they are on their own travelling slowly is to occupy a third of the lane again making passing impossible. Luckily this type of selfish moron is a minority as most cyclists seem to adhere to the Highway code and are responsible.
Both the wife and myself make a point of waving a thanks if the cyclist is considerate and letting us past with no issues.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
In my world-were I in power the first thing I'd do would be introduce a compulsory eyesight test every 2 years for any driver-a theory test every 5 years on top of that-if the theory test were failed-let's say less than 60% correct then you would have to have 10 compulsory paid for by the driver lessons with an instructor-not a test just 10 refresher lessons. certificate to say done-you can carry on driving! No lessons if you do pass the test-would focus some minds!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In my world-were I in power the first thing I'd do would be introduce a compulsory eyesight test every 2 years for any driver-a theory test every 5 years on top of that-if the theory test were failed-let's say less than 60% correct then you would have to have 10 compulsory paid for by the driver lessons with an instructor-not a test just 10 refresher lessons. certificate to say done-you can carry on driving! No lessons if you do pass the test-would focus some minds!
interesting point of view :)

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Ive just finished my CPC 35 hours to drive lorries online.
One of the informal questions put to the group attending was (bear in mind i am not anti-cyclist),do you agree that cyclists should be more accountable for their actions on a public highway?
16 out of 18 agreed.
One of the suggestions was that cyclists should have some form of identification on their cycles to be able to identify them in the event of a road traffic collision,running red lights,etc..
Bearing in mind the amount of vehicles that have dash cams,this may make certain cyclists think twice before carrying out various things contrary to the highway code.
Again,im not anti cyclist (I have one myself) but did think this could be a good idea.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my part of North Wiltshire Sustrans use a lot of the disused railway tracks. You can almost go from Marlborough to Cirencester without seeing a car
Gosh that brings back memories. In 1976 we moved from Plymouth back to Wilts and our son was four years old. We bought him a Ladybird book on British Wildlife. One trip out to pick up the old railway at Kemble he pointed to a scat and said “ fox done a poo”. On checking the book which we had with us he was over the moon to have correctly spotted this one.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ive just finished my CPC 35 hours to drive lorries online.
One of the informal questions put to the group attending was (bear in mind i am not anti-cyclist),do you agree that cyclists should be more accountable for their actions on a public highway?
16 out of 18 agreed.
One of the suggestions was that cyclists should have some form of identification on their cycles to be able to identify them in the event of a road traffic collision,running red lights,etc..
Bearing in mind the amount of vehicles that have dash cams,this may make certain cyclists think twice before carrying out various things contrary to the highway code.
Again,im not anti cyclist (I have one myself) but did think this could be a good idea.
Hi Ade 16 out 18 i would say great . well done

• Wow
Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately that will increase costs dramatically and there is not enough manpower available. Preferably if you are caught commiting a traffic offence like speeding, ignoring Yield or Stop sign, overloading etc then it should be mandatory that you redo the theory test.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not anti cyclist. Been there done that. Been knocked off by a motorist pulling out from a side road who broadsided me on the way home from school - " sorry I didn't see you" he said from behind pebble glasses. - Bent cycle. but not injured. Ah days gone by.

But these days every road user should be vigilant - including cyclists and motorcyclists. And yes cyclists if they are on the road they should be more accountable for their actions. I all too frequently (barely) see some cyclists riding on local roads at night where the streelighting is poor, wearing black hoodies and without lights or reflectors, playing chicken with the traffic.

I also see them totally ignoring lights on pedestrian crossings and road junctions. Unfortunately the way the law is written and enforced drivers of motorised vehicles are assumed to be at fault.

Norman Tebbit has a lot answer for.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not anti cyclist. Been there done that. Been knocked off by a motorist pulling out from a side road who broadsided me on the way home from school - " sorry I didn't see you" he said from behind pebble glasses. - Bent cycle. but not injured. Ah days gone by.

But these days every road user should be vigilant - including cyclists and motorcyclists. And yes cyclists if they are on the road they should be more accountable for their actions. I all too frequently (barely) see some cyclists riding on local roads at night where the streelighting is poor, wearing black hoodies and without lights or reflectors, playing chicken with the traffic.

I also see them totally ignoring lights on pedestrian crossings and road junctions. Unfortunately the way the law is written and enforced drivers of motorised vehicles are assumed to be at fault.

Norman Tebbit has a lot answer for.
It’s e scooter riders that I am concerned about. They also tend to be darkly clad and just weave around using pavements, pedestrian crossings and of course the road. I nearly took one off where we have two mini islands. I go straight ahead on the first and turn left at the second. The islands are barely three car length apart. He must have been on the road on my left hand side at the first island but behind a car. Then just as I was about to turn left on island number 2 he sped up my inside on the road. Luckily I’d looked in my mirror and just spotted him in time. Wonder where I would have stood as he was riding illegally whether it be on the road or pavement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts