New Highway Code on the way.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The real problem is every road user has the same rights to use the roads. Somewhere in the old Highway Code it says pedestrians have the right of way other than on an Urban clear way and a few others.. Sadly the cards are stacked against the poor motorist😥

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It getting worse or better. Depends on pov. The new code pits the onus in the larger more damaging vehicle so a pedestrian has more than a car etc. Tbh a good thing as the driving i see is ludicrous. every road user as Prof says needs to be more careful but people are selfish and rush and drink and phone etc . More patrols needed on roads.?

Buckman seriously how much man power would a computer theory test take? And driving instructors well yes a few more plus admin. Not that onerous. Be good for the unemployment figures and punter to pay

Reactions: Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It getting worse or better. Depends on pov. The new code pits the onus in the larger more damaging vehicle so a pedestrian has more than a car etc. Tbh a good thing as the driving i see is ludicrous. every road user as Prof says needs to be more careful but people are selfish and rush and drink and phone etc . More patrols needed on roads.?

Buckman seriously how much man power would a computer theory test take? And driving instructors well yes a few more plus admin. Not that onerous. Be good for the unemployment figures and punter to pay
If it is being done at home how do you know the correct person is doing the test?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It isn't. If you have done a recent theory test or know some one who has you go to a office full of computers at shielded desks and do the test there. Would just need a few more computers and rooms. One or two on the desk checking your licence.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
"If it is being done at home how do you know the correct person is doing the test"

I completed my CPC last week.
7 hours a day for 5 days.
It was done via "Zoom" on my laptop with another 15 candidates each day.
It was just like being in a classroom with the "teacher" being able to see everyone during the course.
We had to email photos of our driving licence each morning to prove who we were.
Maybe this may be an idea for the theory test?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
"If it is being done at home how do you know the correct person is doing the test"

I completed my CPC last week.
7 hours a day for 5 days.
It was done via "Zoom" on my laptop with another 15 candidates each day.
It was just like being in a classroom with the "teacher" being able to see everyone during the course.
We had to email photos of our driving licence each morning to prove who we were.
Maybe this may be an idea for the theory test?

Never used Zoom so no idea what it is about? I don't think at thsi point many people are familiar with Zoom which is probably like Skype?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I didnt have a clue either.
You have to download the "Zoom" app first and ensure you have a webcam on your laptop or a separate webcam which you can plug into your phone/tablet to enable the instructor to see and hear you.
Every morning,the instructor sent us an email with a link to click on which then took us to the "meeting room".
He did warn us of 2 points,
1. At any time,a member from DVSA could enter the room to ensure that everything was being conducted correctly.
2.We were warned that if we left the webcam for more than 5 minutes(say to use toilet,answer the door etc.) we would then be eliminated from that days course and have to re-book that days course.
We had the instructors phone number and in the event of a wi-fi or similar problem,text him immediately,and he could extend the time away from screen for 15 minutes maximum while we sorted the problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You have to download the "Zoom" app first and ensure you have a webcam on your laptop or a separate webcam which you can plug into your phone/tablet to enable the instructor to see and hear you.
Every morning,the instructor sent us an email with a link to click on which then took us to the "meeting room".
1. At any time,a member from DVSA could enter the room to ensure that everything was being conducted correctly.
2.We were warned that if we left the webcam for more than 5 minutes(say to use toilet,answer the door etc.) we would then be eliminated from that days course and have to re-book that days course.
We had the instructors phone number and in the event of a wi-fi or similar problem,text him immediately,and he could extend the time away from screen for 15 minutes maximum while we sorted the problem.
Maybe sit on the throne with your laptop😃😃😃😉😉

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had to use Teams which is similar to Zoom. It was for a meeting with an NHS Commissioning Group appeal. The NHS staff were in Stoke, the solicitor in Cardiff and me in Wiltshire. I didn’t have a webcam so had the IPad propped up. It was surprising how easily I adapted to the set up, and it lasted for two hours. It also saved a deal of money as in normal times the meeting would have been in person so both myself and the solicitor would have had to travel, with me footing his fees and costs. A positive vote fir Covid from me on that account.

PS I’ve now got a webcam.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had to use Teams which is similar to Zoom. It was for a meeting with an NHS Commissioning Group appeal. The NHS staff were in Stoke, the solicitor in Cardiff and me in Wiltshire. I didn’t have a webcam so had the IPad propped up. It was surprising how easily I adapted to the set up, and it lasted for two hours. It also saved a deal of money as in normal times the meeting would have been in person so both myself and the solicitor would have had to travel, with me footing his fees and costs. A positive vote fir Covid from me on that account.

PS I’ve now got a webcam.
I do have a webcam on my laptop but have never used it and keep the slider closed so nosy parkers (hackers) cannot see me.
If Zoom is supposed to be so good why aren't doctors using it as it will make diagnosing an issue simpler?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do have a webcam on my laptop but have never used it and keep the slider closed so nosy parkers (hackers) cannot see me.
If Zoom is supposed to be so good why aren't doctors using it as it will make diagnosing an issue simpler?

I wouldn’t get undressed in front of the tv when I was a kid as I too thought that the presenters could see me.
Our surgery offers video consultations if required.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn’t get undressed in front of the tv when I was a kid as I too thought that the presenters could see me.
Our surgery offers video consultations if required.
Ours only do photos. They send you a link via text and you respond by sending the photos of the affected part. Maximum 5 photos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts