New Hymer A-classes

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Just to flag up a brand new news story on our website – click here to read all about the brand new range of A-class motorhomes from Hymer, revealed this morning in Germany. What do you think?

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
" ...with payloads of up to 200kg."

These are not going to sell in the UK if this is true. We expect at least 500kg, not 200kg or less. Perhaps the report is wrong.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The surprise press unveil was not long ago, so maybe it's taking them a little while to get further information out there? But the ML-I range is real!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
No question of that Lizzie :) - as ever, Practical Motorhome is ahead of the news!
I was just trying to find an answer to Aspenshaw's question about payload - ie whether the figure was a misprint - because it does seem a bit on the low side.
Can you check it, from any launch info Hymer gave you?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi again. I'm not sure this will help, but here goes.

We suspect that the figures given out at the launch/reveal event are provisional, as the 'van that was unveiled was the only ML-I in existence and was only completed a short time before the launch event. Firm figures will probably be published in the new year.

For example, the quoted 'additional load' for the ML-I 580 shown is 187.5kg, but Hymer quoted "around 200kg" at the event. If you take the 'initial' 3015kg weight and compare it to the 3500kg max weight, though, that suggests a payload closer to 485kg.

In short, we don't have a definitive answer, we can only publish what we're told, but now you know!

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So I'm guessing 3015kg unladen weight + Hymer's 187kg essential weights ( for fuels, driver etc.) would give approx. 300 kg useable payload, but as we all know continental manufacturer's tend to only include c20 litres of water instead of a full tank, we can probably add c80litres/80kg more based on a full water tank & hey presto you are now down to around 220kg useable payload. So "about 200kg" is probably going to be the maximum available, after other essential add-on toys we all like.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Once again, the dreaded 3500 raises its head. If only they could use a higher rated chassis!
But the market for those is going to keep declining at both ends - people who passed their test after 1997 have to take another test to go over 3500kg, and us oldies will have to take a medical to keep our "grandad rights" when we turn 70.
So it will make less and less commercial sense to build motorhomes over 3500kg gvw. Which suggests we need to get used to EITHER lower payloads OR more basic built-in facilities.
How do others respond to those options?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I should have thought that it would make sense to converters to research the use of lighter weight materials so that they could maintain payload as well as having facilities.

Will we live to see a 3D printed motorhome made from graphene perhaps? :)

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hymer calculate the MIRO according to EN1646-2 incl. Basic equipment (75kgs for driver, filled fuel tank, water tank in driving condition filled with 20 litres, gas in aluminium cylinder 100% full, and electrical cable). I understand the change to 20l is because some EU bureaucrat decided more than that was unsafe because of the sloshing motion. Certainly discourages wild camping!

Hymer is one of the most transparent manufacturer when it comes to how it works out MIRO but without a full explanation, we will never know the actual loadings of the new vans because it is up to so could actually be much less.

An average adult who is of a healthy weight will weigh around 75kg. Three passengers will wipe out the 200kg loading margin. Presumably these must be 2 berth vans with no additional passenger seats.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks BillM. From the website and your observation, looks like the new motorhomes will have enough payload for people like my wife and I who have never wild camped for more than three days and who have never toured for more than 3 weeks at a time.

Reverting to Tony's post on weights, I can foresee manufacturers continuing to keep weights down without removing the wine cabinet or gin store so the cost of motorhomes will rise as they use different materials. My brother is an aerospace engineer and my son is a rail engineer and both can see where better materials can be used to improve quality of build and reduce weight in motorhomes.

Vehicle safety will continue to drive up the weight of new vehicles which will make it more of a challenge. Worryingly, I can also see new motorhomers being misled by the industry on weights, and perhaps some others who don't think laws apply to them will just live with the risk.

I believe, though, somewhere a solution will arise that suits us all without going back to being too basic and keeps us safe on the road. Or we'll all become caravanners!

TRENDING THREADS