New Member...Hello

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this whole caravan thing so I want you to through as much advice about the best caravan to consider, best places to travel and anything that I might not know.

Thanks in advance

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The best caravan to consider is one that has enough berths for those of you who will be using it.
The next thing to bear in mind is what type of towing vehicle do you intend to tow a caravan with.
If you passed your driving test after 1997 and do not have a B+E qualification on your licence you will be restricted on what you can tow.
If you don't have the B+E qualification you will need to limit the weight of the towing vehicle and caravan combined to 3500 kg.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum,
Best caravan, the best to suit your needs, family size, licence , etc
Best places, every where except Nigeria,
Things to know, everything , we are all still learning.
Just ask your individual questions as others have said there are no stupid questions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When you’ve sorted out your basics I would go to a number if caravan dealers and just spend time looking at the vans fir sale and siting inside and imagine how you might use it. Don’t be pressurised into an early purchase. With Covid 19 likely to be affecting everyone’s plans fir several months yet it’s a buyers market.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Choosing the first caravan caravan needs you to look at several things.
Firstly what are you going to tow it with. The car will have two relevant weights, the makers towing limit and the cars kerb weight. The makers towing limit is the maximum weight that it is legal to tow and the kerb weight will help to pick a suitable weight for the caravan. The general recommendation of the industry is tow no more than 85% of the cars kerb weight, if the makers figure does not include the driver you can add 75KG to this. Personally along with several others on this forum I think it is a bit low with modern vehicles and 90% is not unreasonable.
The next problem is how many of you will be in the caravan. The best bet is to visit several dealers and just look round and see what you feel would suit you. If you get stuck on the layout most of us on here have had several different ones and can tell you the pros and cons of each but the one that works best for you may not be the one for the next person.
After that you will get some idea of what fits your budget and what level of luxury will suit you. This again will vary but allow for the cost of equipment and fitting a tow bar.
If you have no previous experience of caravans it would help if you know someone who has and can help you but if not I would avoid private sales as there appear to be people trying to offload lemons and you need to know what you must look for. There are mobile engineers who will check them mover for you but at a cost.
Like buying a car check it over for damage and make sure everything works and is demonstrated to you. Get all service records and receipts for any work done on it and make sure that you have a recent clear damp check. If it is still under guarantee then you need to transfer this and there may be a small fee for that.
There is advice on the main website for the magazine, and you will also find more on the Caravan and Motorhome Club and Camping and Caravaning Club sites.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
To while away a few hours, open Google maps - search 'Caravan sites near' your preferred destination, and it will show many sites in the area chosen and links to websites on the screen left. I suspect that most newcomers will join one or both clubs for access to their main sites and private 5 van sites known as CS or Cl listings.
Consider the cost of all the items you will need - a dealer 'starter pack' would be a big help - after all the typical aquaroll and wastemaster are about £100 to stat with.
For caravan insurance, depending on what van you purchase, you might be able to insure for market value, agreed value, or new for old. Both clubs offer insurance products and there are others listed in PC Mag. I personally have Caravan Guard' over many years.
At the mo I suspect your hunting will have to start on-line, depending on where you live visit the website of local dealers, most will carry new and used for sale with many pictures of the actual vans.
AS above decide what weight you can tow, how many berths you need and what layout you prefer.
Good hunting!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes hunting will have to be on line. Once we are able to get out I think you will find that dealers will have a lot of stock they would normally have sold in the early season and will need to get them moved on. If you have the cash and no trade in, that will be the time to go and bargain hard and see what you can save.
I would see if you can draw up a shortlist of what you think will suit you and get out there as soon as you can to seal the deal.
You do need a reputable dealer, so I would check out on line reviews to see what others think, although do be wary of false postings. If you put down a deposit pay this on a credit card to protect you just in case the dealer goes down or you have problems with the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts