New member with storage, but no clue how to tell people about it!

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Evening all,

I’m not a caravanner, I’m a farmer from Berkshire with some spare covered barn space and no knowledge about how to contact potential storage customers. Most spaces are ‘single occupancy’ in the sense that they would never be moved, except by the owner.

I’m located near junction 13 of the M4 (Newbury) and have inside space for about 15+ caravans, with basic facilities, and am looking for some income from these buildings, as they’re sitting empty at the moment.

Is there a regional website that I can use to contact people on? There seems to be morning in Facebook which was my first thought.

Anyway, any advice gratefully received, and if this is against forum rules, I will wait to be nuked into next week. :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
There is a trade organisation called CASSOA which grades storage according to security level. You have to pay to be registered by them, no idea how muc. It is probably more than what you want at the moment. Assume you have a website? Googling things like Caravan storage near me, is how I found our storage yard. Having an entry in Yell ( yellow pages) maybe? Caravan Club and Caravan and Camping club have a small ads section in their magazines. May be worth a punt?
There does seem to be a lack of storage around so if you can get the word out, you may see some demand.
Good luck with your plans
mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The farm I used until I gave up caravaning, deliberately did no advertising. He relied on word of mouth. But I don't know how he managed to get people originally. He had about 80 vans in two compounds with 8 foot fences. Entrance was only past the farmhouse, and he had CCTV. He charged £350 per year.

Security is important to users.

Perhaps you could find other farmers who do the same and pick their brains.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our storage site a Farm with Barn storage went through the local caravan dealers only.
But an advert in maybe a local village monthly magazine might help you.
Good luck. Storage places are always wanted.
Or maybe the local district Caravan and Motor home club, or local District Caravan and Camping club , could help.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like someone mention i would join CASSOA i use to store my caravan with them they were a farm site and now to a Gold Standard and i look them up on Yell (Yellow pages) and also word of mouth someone recommended them and they had great security i use pay £300 per year so good luck

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CASSOA is probably a bit over the top as not cheap to join plus annual subscription every year. I suggest you find caravan dealerships in the vicinity and advise them that you have storage space for caravans. To the dealership having storage place available for a customer may help them clinch a deal.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
CASSOA is the trade organisation and should help with security issues but I doubt a 15 unit storage area would cover their fees. Insurers though are quite strict on security measures so you would need to cost what is required to see if it is feasible. They will require a locked compound, probably security fencing and possibly cctv coverage so it is not straightforward.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We use a local farm who has a large gated yard with about 50-60 vans. They have a simple website and are generally over subscribed, with the correct set up any search for 'caravan storage ' should find you.

We gave up on Cassoa sites as the insurance saving was minimal and cost excessive.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts